Just another glorious day here in Off-Topic

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Sure am enjoying the wide variety of discussion we've always enjoyed here in Off-Topic, aren't you?

[sub]For the love of god bring back R&P so we can get this crap out of here.[/sub]​

Sep 24, 2008
I literally have no idea why anyone would think closing R&P would be a good thing.

I was on sabbatical when it happened, but did people actually assume that we'd stop having opinions and/or the willingness to express them with the community they are apart of?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Ideally dump R&P period from the site but I suppose if they insist on having R&P here, I 1000% agree that it should have its own forum. Taking it away seemed really silly and nothing has happened in Off-Topic since it happened to change my mind.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
I thought the plan was that they were "deleting" or moving sub forums in order for it to transition into the escapist 2.0

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Seems entirely pointless to have R&P stuff in Off-topic.

If you're going to remove R&P, you should actually remove it.
If you want to allow R&P and all the baggage that comes with it, you should probably just bring back The Wild West.

Red Sentinel

May 20, 2014
My first assumption was that they were doing the same thing they did with that other political topic, ie: close the board and ban the topic.

But that's not what they did. They closed the board but the topic is still allowed, because reasons?
So I have no idea what the goal was, and I don't believe they've ever told us.

Whatever the case, they've gone about this in probably the worst possible way. All they did was take away a tool, a function, a feature of the site, didn't replace it with anything or make any other policy changes, and expected everyone to just 'cope'.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Wasnt there an escapist add on that lets people hide threads they dont want to see? It would be good for those who dont want to see religion and politics.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Marik2 said:
Wasnt there an escapist add on that lets people hide threads they dont want to see? It would be good for those who dont want to see religion and politics.
Think that was the one made by Bluegate, who was a mod for a bit, and then they demodded him, so he stopped updating it.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
It's been said that this was the reason the R&P forum was created in the first place, because without it Off-topic ends up looking like... this.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Still got no idea why they did that in the first place. What did they even gain by removing R&P? Considering Russ isn't behind things anymore either, the new, big, bombastic Escapist relaunch sounds more like a floundering flab of mush. It's been almost a year, and what's happened? We've deleted sub-forums, made a stink in the community with a get over it attitude because of their "vision," and launched a 2.0 website that looks like someone got over-zealous with the Windows 8 menu tiles.

I mean, I appreciate the fact anything's being done at all, it's better than being under the past ownership and having nothing going on. I'm not exactly brimming with positive energy a year later though

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
People will always want a place to complain, if you take it away they'll just go somewhere else...

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Elvis Starburst said:
Still got no idea why they did that in the first place. What did they even gain by removing R&P? Considering Russ isn't behind things anymore either, the new, big, bombastic Escapist relaunch sounds more like a floundering flab of mush. It's been almost a year, and what's happened? We've deleted sub-forums, made a stink in the community with a get over it attitude because of their "vision," and launched a 2.0 website that looks like someone got over-zealous with the Windows 8 menu tiles.

I mean, I appreciate the fact anything's being done at all, it's better than being under the past ownership and having nothing going on. I'm not exactly brimming with positive energy a year later though
It was a pretty uninspiring rebirth, all things considered.

Almost feels like they ran out of funding for the changes they wanted and now the site is just floundering along.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
it's beautiful. in a very depressing sort of way. but some people can't escape politics even if they wanted to. this is rather tame in comparison. what I'd do is not bother logging in if avoidance is desired. it's a brave move, yes, one must fight those bodily urges, whatever they may be. with literal fire if needs must. burn the treacherous hormones! not too much though; fire is contagious and often deadly. and I'd prefer to accidentally inspire more humane shuffling off mortal coils when possible. also, maybe 'fire' was a metaphor and the word 'literal' was a metaphor for 'metaphorical.' in fact, all these words might separately be metaphors for the complete opposite of their meaning. if it keeps me out of a harsh sentencing at least

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
The Lunatic said:
Marik2 said:
Think that was the one made by Bluegate, who was a mod for a bit, and then they demodded him, so he stopped updating it.
That's not why I stopped updating it, I made it for the benefit of the users of this forum, not for the moderators'.

I stopped updating it because I simply ran out of ideas to add 🤷‍♂️ Later I decided to put it on ice and wait for the new forums to launch, but that's taking a lot longer than expected. If people have suggestions, then I'd be happy to add them.

I did create a little something-something to help clear up this POLITICS business, but I figured that V2 would roll out quickly so I never bothered to add it to the plugin. Maybe I should?

Squilookle said:
Sure am enjoying the wide variety of discussion we've always enjoyed here in Off-Topic, aren't you?

[sub]For the love of god bring back R&P so we can get this crap out of here.[/sub]​
To be honest, that wouldn't be much of a problem if Off-Topic was bubbling with actual Off-Topic threads, but hey, it's a slow place, isn't it?

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
bluegate said:
looks nice, but I'm sure you'd have polished it more had the forums were moved to v2.

"Your rights end where mine begin".

++1 naisu.
Red Sentinel said:
My first assumption was that they were doing the same thing they did with that other political topic, ie: close the board and ban the topic.

But that's not what they did. They closed the board but the topic is still allowed, because reasons?
So I have no idea what the goal was, and I don't believe they've ever told us.

Whatever the case, they've gone about this in probably the worst possible way. All they did was take away a tool, a function, a feature of the site, didn't replace it with anything or make any other policy changes, and expected everyone to just 'cope'.
half-measures, not taken to their conclusion.

Mar 30, 2010
Three things guaranteed to start a fight in a pub - religion, politics, and football (which is a combination of the other two to many people). And yet despite this, R&P is one of the most hotly debated topics on the Internet (probably because the chances of having a pint glass scopped at your head over the Internet are slim to none). :)

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
1. Everyone should care about politics. No one is immune from it, and being able to not care about politics is a huge privilege.

2. If you want more non-political topics, make more non-political topics.

3. Though I do agree removing R&P was bad, and would love to have it back.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
CrazyGirl17 said:
People will always want a place to complain, if you take it away they'll just go somewhere else...
I'm probably not coming back if discussing politics is out.