Just started Morrowind for the first time this weekend....

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
Playing as a Khajit or Argonian
I loved there legs and there walk, the weird waddle. lol. Seriously though, the games need more race specific quests or groups. Would make you more likely to play as those races.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Rylee Fox said:
Benpasko said:
It sounds like you weren't reading carefully enough. I'm not trying to insult you here, but Morrowind requires more attentiveness than most games. It's really worth it once you get into it though, and I'd urge you to give it another try.
I don't take it as an insult, I expected a post like that and you could be right. I was frustrated at the game constantly crashing due to a memory leak so I may not have been as focused as I should have been. That doesn't change the emptiness of the world or the guards instantly knowing everything you did wrong even though it shouldn't be possible for them to know at all.

I am told that Skyrim does take care of some of the issues I had with Morrowind so I may give that a try someday. Just not anytime soon.
I can't recommend Skyrim as a substitute for Morrowind. They're completely different, and if you care about my opinion, I hate Skyrim. But it's worth a try, as is Oblivion. I'm definitely in the minority for hating it.

Pawel1997PL

Oct 26, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
Azeal said:
Spell crafting? Custom enchants? MY GOD WHY DID THESE GET TAKEN OUT.........
Because even in a game as unbalanced as the Elder Scrolls, custom spells and enchantments were even more so.
Yes, they were broken and OP, but why completely trow it out if you're going to put shit like smithing in?!

Coffeejack

Oct 1, 2012
I like the scribs and setting most of all and dislike cliff racers very much indeed.

When you get to Balmora, there's a great sword in one of the watch towers, possibly the one near Caius's house. You can steal it if you jump on top of the clutter next to the guard and crouch. It's on top of the wardrobe on the top floor. Enjoy!

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Pawel1997PL said:
Yes, they were broken and OP, but why completely trow it out if you're going to put shit like smithing in?!
Smithing, enchanting, and alchemy, are significantly less easy to exploit because they require that you spend a number of perks, of which there is a limited number of, in order to exploit them. Smithing by itself, and with one or two enhancing items, isn't that broken.

A dragonbone sword, the most powerful sword in the game, with 100 one handed skill, all the perks that increase its damage, and smithed to base legendary, which requires a 100 smithing skill and the dragon perk, which in itself takes at least 5 perks to reach, only does 75 damage.

High level Flamer have between 500-930 hp, high level Draugr have health in the ball park of 1,000-1,400, and higher level dragons have 3,000-4,000 hp.

75 damage isn't that much, and even with 3 items that give +25% smithing power, which is the highest increase a base game item can raise a skill, you will only get the sword up to 100 damage, which still isn't that much.

Smithing it itself isn't broken, its only broken once you use alchemy/enchanting feedback loops to increase your skill by like 50000 points, which requires you spend a large number of perks in both enchanting and alchemy in order to do.

custom spell making is too easy to exploit, the only way to not make it exploitable is to gut it until there's so little left that it might as well not exist.

Paranoah

Oct 23, 2012
Well my first time playing morrowind went a little like this

character creation

cave outside start city
first monster! fighting time
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
Dead, my file didnt save so i just dropped it right there thinking it was a game where you just had to "be there"

maybe its time to pick it up again

Pawel1997PL

Oct 26, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
Pawel1997PL said:
Smithing, enchanting, and alchemy, are significantly less easy to exploit because they require that you spend a number of perks, of which there is a limited number of, in order to exploit them. Smithing by itself, and with one or two enhancing items, isn't that broken.

A dragonbone sword, the most powerful sword in the game, with 100 one handed skill, all the perks that increase its damage, and smithed to base legendary, which requires a 100 smithing skill and the dragon perk, which in itself takes at least 5 perks to reach, only does 75 damage.

High level Flamer have between 500-930 hp, high level Draugr have health in the ball park of 1,000-1,400, and higher level dragons have 3,000-4,000 hp.

75 damage isn't that much, and even with 3 items that give +25% smithing power, which is the highest increase a base game item can raise a skill, you will only get the sword up to 100 damage, which still isn't that much.

Smithing it itself isn't broken, its only broken once you use alchemy/enchanting feedback loops to increase your skill by like 50000 points, which requires you spend a large number of perks in both enchanting and alchemy in order to do.
It is broken, its extremely easily grindable and it provides insane bonuses, add to that that all the materials required are prety common, talk about balance then you can get a legendary daedric "whatever" before level 25, and you don't even have to try, and by the time you get to the high level monsters you'll not only have ridiculous gear but also basically infinite health potions, you don't even need to put points into alchemy for it to be OP, and I didn't even use enchanting, as I could just tear trough everything wielding and wearing legendary EVERYTHING at master dificulty.

BiggyShackleton

Nov 15, 2008
Mainly the music, the Boots of Blinding Speed and the fuckton of nostalgia I get every time I come back to Balmora.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Pawel1997PL said:
It is broken, its extremely easily grindable and it provides insane bonuses, add to that that all the materials required are prety common, talk about balance then you can get a legendary daedric "whatever" before level 25, and you don't even have to try, and by the time you get to the high level monsters you'll not only have ridiculous gear but also basically infinite health potions, you don't even need to put points into alchemy for it to be OP, and I didn't even use enchanting, as I could just tear trough everything wielding and wearing legendary EVERYTHING at master dificulty.
-All the skills are easily grindable, you can get 100 sneak before leveling the first dungeon, but your choice to do so is not a fault of the game, it is your fault for choosing to d it.

-The bonuses provided by smithing really aren't that insane, a 100 smithing+Dragon smithing perk will only take a Dragonbone sword from 45 to 75 points of damage, which isn't that much considering, as I pointed uot before, most high level enemies have 500, to 4000, health.

-Alchemy without perks really isn't that OP as without the level 100 purity perk all created potions have a negative effect that is of equal magnitude as the positive effect.

-Considering that at master difficulty you do 50% damage, that 75 damage Dragonbone sword will only do 37-38 damage, you literally cannot be easily tearing through most things.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Never could get into this game. I'd explore different places every time, meet up with my contact, etc, even tried it out with a ton of mods, but I just never got into it. I'd say it's a shame, but after having just finished Skyrim I'm left wondering what the fuss is all about with the series.

Yureina said:
I still have to get around to Morrowind sometime. It sits, among -many- other games, in my oversized backlog that only seems to grow as time passes. Last December I did a massive gaming binge to clear out most of that backlog. Maybe i'll have to do something like that again. XD
Aye, if you're an American the winter months are great for cracking into the old backlog.

Pawel1997PL

Oct 26, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
Pawel1997PL said:
-All the skills are easily grindable, you can get 100 sneak before leveling the first dungeon, but your choice to do so is not a fault of the game, it is your fault for choosing to d it.

-The bonuses provided by smithing really aren't that insane, a 100 smithing+Dragon smithing perk will only take a Dragonbone sword from 45 to 75 points of damage, which isn't that much considering, as I pointed uot before, most high level enemies have 500, to 4000, health.

-Alchemy without perks really isn't that OP as without the level 100 purity perk all created potions have a negative effect that is of equal magnitude as the positive effect.

-Considering that at master difficulty you do 50% damage, that 75 damage Dragonbone sword will only do 37-38 damage, you literally cannot be easily tearing through most things.
-Yes, but the other skills actually require you to do shit

-Yes they are insane when almost half of the damage comes from smithing, and the fact that enemies have ridiculous ammounts of HP isn't an excuse in any way, shape or form, its the contrary.

-I don't know where are you going whit that since the ONLY potions you will EVER need are healing potions, you can easily make them without any side-effects from the very beggining of the game, and the only way that quality matters is taht you will need to carry less of them.

-It just happens that "boss" enemies take a somewhat longer time to take down than the rest of the baddies, and smithing doesn't only improve your DMG it also improves you armor, also ridiculously.

And add to that the fact that you probably won't even see daedric armor or dragon weapons, like ever, whitout smithing.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Paranoah said:
Well my first time playing morrowind went a little like this

character creation

cave outside start city
first monster! fighting time
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
Dead, my file didnt save so i just dropped it right there thinking it was a game where you just had to "be there"

maybe its time to pick it up again
What you just described is not unusual. It helped to "be there". But even back in the day, I remember being initially frustrated with Morrowind. Stick with it. The richness of the setting is timeless. And the gameplay, while not quite accessible, is at the very least serviceable once you understand what is happening and why.

Also, save often. There are auto-saves but they are more like a back-up, it's really up to you to save your game in case of death.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
My first move in morrowind was always to go raid the vaults in the gates of dawn and dusk, the entrance to red mountain.

I loved that game, other than graphics it's so much better than the last two.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
I like the harsher tone the game has in comparison to Oblivion and Skyrim.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the overall feel of Oblivion just as much (Skyrim not really though) but Morrowind is a game with an attitude. I like how a lot of factions see you as an outlander, as opposed to just instantly trusting this random stranger and treating him like the best friend ever.
Some of the voiced dialogue is truly cruel if you aren't well known, have low Personality/Speechcraft, and/or are diseased D:

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
I loved the freedom in "Morrowind". There was damn near nothing you weren't ALLOWED to do.

Once, I killed an "Essential" NPC by mistake (hey...HE started it!)and I got a pop-up saying "With this character's death, the thread of prophecy is severed. Restore a saved game to restore the weave of fate, or persist in the doomed world you have created."

Of course, I restored and restarted, but the fact that I COULD have gone on was something I'd come to miss in "Oblivion" and "Skyrim"...

I also loved the fact that locations and creatures didn't scale their leveling. Just like life, sometimes you find your self in a situation that's well beyond your abilities. So you can either beat a fast retreat or, if you're particularly clever and persistent...get through it.

But it also felt so satisfying to go back once you were wiser and stronger. I remember entering a Daedric Shrine and going toe to toe with the Dremora guarding it. I hacked away at it with my piddly sword while it took huge chunks with every swipe of its two-handed greatsword. I barely escaped with my life.

Several quests and ten levels later, I stumbled upon the same shrine and killed the Dremora with one hit! God that felt good!

That level of immersion has been sorely absent from the most recent Elder Scrolls games.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
I'd say I definately got more out of morrowind than oblivion or skyrim.

Why? No. Fucking. Quest Markers.

I loved the aspect of talking to NPC's to get directions, trying to follow directions, and normally getting very very lost in some marsh, but finding an abandoned fortress I could explore, all while trying to find some guy in a cave I was supposed to assassinate.

It was a game where you could walk into the wilderness a noob, and stroll back into town a god just from all the exploration. Getting utterly lost was the most engaging aspect of the series I've ever seen.

Then they took it all away for an "insta warp to quest objective" system. Literally killed the series for me.

inb4 "DONT HAVE TO USE THEM!" Yes I know, but the game is built around the system now. You can't ask NPC's for directions anymore, they're too busy making arrow in the knee puns.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Eddie the head said:
The_Lost_King said:
SajuukKhar said:
The_Lost_King said:
Except that didn't balance the game, at all. Actually it made Destruction magic suck.
Destruction magic sucks because the spells damage doesn't level with you, not because you cant make new spells.
You could make new spells to offset that if we had spellcrafting
Unless they decided to not have spell crafting work that way. You know so you can't have broken spells like in Oblvion and Morrowind. There might be an argument to be made to have spell making but they didn't put it in so you don't know how it would have worked, so you can't say it would have fixed destruction.
It is a single player game. If people want to exploit it let them exploit it.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
The_Lost_King said:
It is a single player game. If people want to exploit it let them exploit it.
That sparks of changing the subject. That's not what I was talking about so I have no response to it.

Dr. Doomsduck

Nov 24, 2011
yeah, like others have mentioned, the whole world of it.

Mind you, this was the first elder scrolls I ever played, so I might be biased, but I remember it feeling HUGE and how dissapointed I was that Oblivion felt much smaller, not even Skyrim has that same aspect. Maybe that would change if I played Morrowind again now.

Also, the otherworldy environments, with Oblivion and Skyrim (Games I thoroughly enjoyed)it was more of a traditional fantasy setting, whereas in Morrowind they had mushroom trees, Guars, Silt striders, crabshaped cities, plantshaped cities and all sorts of crazy stuff.

Though, The shivering Isles made up for a lot of Oblivion's 'normalness'

mattttherman3 said:
Question, is there a quick travel feature?
Ehehehe...well, aside from Mark and Recall, I used to have hours of fun jumping over half of Vvardenfell in one go using a pumped up version of Tinurs hoptoad and slowfall.