Just When You Thought They Couldn't Go Any Lower...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
They're Trolls that operate IRL, why do we keep paying attention to them?
thier forums are the best site to troll around, ever.

then again, we got a common enemy, we get united, maybe thats their whole purpose.

P.S. you know first time i heard about WBC i though somoen was trolling with a fake website. turns out thier real. my world was shattered.

MrBenSampson

Oct 8, 2011
I don't think there is anything the WBC can do to surprise me at this point. I come from a military family, and the WBC protesting the funerals of fallen soldiers disgusted me when I first learned about them, but after a few years they've become a joke to me. Everything about them might as well be a parody.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Darks63 said:
canadamus_prime said:
They're Trolls that operate IRL, why do we keep paying attention to them?
Because people seem to never learn when it comes to these guys, although if people did stop reacting to these ppl i believe that the WBC would resort to violence to get their attention fix.
...and then they'd get arrested and hopefully sent to prison where they'd get shanked in the shower and we'd never have to hear about them ever again. ...maybe.
Bhaalspawn said:
From what I've read, there are plans to keep them as far away from any funerals as possible... and the idea of "non-violence" has been completely chucked aside. I also hear the KKK is going to be keeping them away from these funerals.

Damn, that's humanity coming together.

Westboro Baptist Church: Making people of differing ideologies come together in a mutual desire to slaughter the Westboro Baptist Church.
If nothing else, I suppose that's one good thing they've done. As ass-backwards as that is.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Bhaalspawn said:
poiumty said:
Well, at least they don't harm anyone. Freedom of opinion, expression, all that. Sticks and stones.
There is an exception to every rule.

Pulling out "Freedom of opinion/expression" is the argument of a coward. If this is the kind of thing Free Speech protects, maybe we'd be better off without it for a little while. These scumbags have got to go. Fuck their free speech.
If we're to target only protesting of funerals (the evil that WBC does most of the time), we need to make a constitutional amendment specifying this.

Congress doesn't have the authority to change what freedom of speech means, because it's the First Amendment. The only legal/constitutional method to make WBC's shit illegal is with a new amendment, which needs to be passed by 3/4 of the states individually.

It's a good check to make sure everyone agrees before messing with our liberties.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Now if only we could get the Neo-Nazi's against these assholes......

Humanity is fucked, only because of them. Someone, please, someone kill them. We all want them dead. Wiped, Bankrupt, on the streets and forgotten about in existance, we all want it, but no-one will do it.

jackalblue3141

Jun 29, 2011
poiumty said:
Well, at least they don't harm anyone. Freedom of opinion, expression, all that. Sticks and stones.
Look freedom of expression is a wonderful thing. You'll find few people who support it more than I do, even for people I think are assholes. The fact speech is offensive is not grounds to censor it. But this speech isn't offensive. It's purposely being made to harm the victims and mourners. That's it. No rational person can argue this is not harmful speech for the sake of causing harm. WBC isn't doing this to speak out against the evils of society in any kind of meaningful way.

You say it's not harming people. Emotional pain is still pain. You can justify offensive speech on many grounds, if it has artistic merit, is part of a political ideology, even if it's part of a sincerely held religious belief. This is none of those things. There is no artistry to what they do, they're thugs. Asshole is not in itself a political ideology. And while they may be doing this out of some twisted religious conviction, making other people miserable is not in itself a sacrament deserving protection of the law. You want to build a church? Fine. Hand out pamphlets telling gay people to repent? Whatever. But go to a funeral to taunt and mock the parents of murdered children? That's not offensive. That's hateful.

There are limits on free expression. This ought to be one of them.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
TheVampwizimp said:
Yeah, yeah, they're bad people. We know. This needs to start being ignored, you know they want you to be outraged. Just write them off, they are not even worth the words I am typing right now.
You don't ignore cancer.

You remove it from the body in any way you possibly can.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
poiumty said:
Would you like being condemned for holding unpopular opinions even though they don't harm anyone?
I'm pretty sure these "opinions" do harm the mourning families. Unless they take some kind of incomprehensible masochistic pleasure in being told "Your kids died because God hates gays".

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I was pissed when I heard that they were protesting the funerals of two cops who died in the line of duty in my town this week, but this... kids...
Honestly, I shouldn't be surprised. When a group is so bad that even the KKK is against them, you know they've hit rock bottom and are steadily tunnelling deeper.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Can't say I'm shocked. Hell, I damn well called it when I first saw the story! They're just a bunch of redneck asshats who I have stopped giving a shit about. That's really the only thing you can do with jackasses such as these.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
poiumty said:
Bhaalspawn said:
poiumty said:
There is an exception to every rule.

Pulling out "Freedom of opinion/expression" is the argument of a coward. If this is the kind of thing Free Speech protects, maybe we'd be better off without it for a little while. These scumbags have got to go. Fuck their free speech.
There are no exceptions to the law unless explicitly stated.

Is it cowardice, or tolerance? And is your idea of biased favoritism justice, or hypocrisy? It sure ain't freedom, in either case. Would you like being condemned for holding unpopular opinions even though they don't harm anyone? If you were religious, would you condemn atheists? Other religions? If you had power and were racist would you condemn black people? Jews?

The list goes on and on. The reason we have gotten this far and have been able to come to know what tolerance means is exactly because of this so-called coward's argument. Without it, there is no free thinking and there is no diversity.
People seem to forget that there's a second part to the whole "freedom of speech" thing: You are free to say whatever you want, in a way that doesn't offend others. Your liberty ends when other people liberty starts. Pure and simple.

Freedom of speech is not to be taken for granted. It's a right. And as all rights it must be earned. WBC proved time and time again that they don't deserve the right to talk as they please, or to talk at all, because every time they open their shitfilled mouths they offend someone in the worst way possible. What about the liberty of the people who are told that their children died because they were filthy sinners and that they deserved it?

WBC doesn't deserve to exist or to talk, simply because they hurt others. There's no favoritism nor prejudice, there's no hipocrisy nor exceptions. This is the law being applied.

I see your point and understand it. But if you are going to discuss freedom of speech, do it seeing every implication that this right brings, not only one part. And yes, it is a coward argument to say that people shouldn't be offended because WBC has the right to say what they want. It's saying that your only justification to say something that made others suffer is "LOL, I can say what I want, so STFU".

Captcha: alive and kicking - something WBC shouldn't be.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
As far as "freedom of speech" goes, you're free to say whatever you wish, but don't come complaining to anyone when the consequences of said speech start to arrive.

That being said, it'll be one hell of an awkward day when some vigilante's outrage goes to extremes and kills some of these WBC people. You watch, when something like that goes down, it'll be somewhat interesting to see the WBC sample the kind of hatred, rage and vitriol they've spewed upon others for their time in existence. Especially if said vigilante goes after their kids.

Oh, and lest I forget, for those who want to discuss "rights" and whatnot...

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
poiumty said:
JamesStone said:
It looks like the law disagrees with you, so please file a formal complaint if you feel like the law isn't being applied as it should be. Otherwise, your argument is garbage.

"Offending" people should not be a crime, simple as that. If people want to be offended, let them. I prefer sticks and stones myself.

As for the other points you made, read my above post where I explained myself. I don't condone harassment, but WBC has a right to exist and a right to express their opinion no matter how skewered it is as long as they do it within the boundaries of the law. It's the price you pay for true freedom. And it isn't high.
Sorry but if that was true, there wouldn't be a chance to proclaim WBC as a hate group, and to take away government protection.

It's the same reason why when the KKK do their protests, the typical behavior is to call the police, and the police tend to arrest them if they get out of hand. Why? Because words hurt. Stay with your stick and stones all you want, not everyone is like you. And I'd like to see how you react if your mother was killed and you had people telling that she died because she was a sinful whore on national TV. Because that's what happened when 2 policeman died in action. And when they invaded their funerals.

All that talk about stick and stones is bullshit. There is something called psychological trauma, and that's what WBC is causing their victims. When an entire organization is commited to do actions which cause harm to others, that organization doesn't have the right to exist (that is, to be recognized as such. I don't say kill them all, I say arrest them if they pull this shit again). I don't know about the US, but here in Portugal, you can sue people who insult you and these people can go to jail. Now tell me, if words trully don't hurt, why do these laws exist?