Keanu Reeves Negotiating for Lead Role in Akira

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Cmon he's TOO OLD DAMMIT!!! I just wish WB would leave this one alone, all that their gonna get is a bunch of pissed off fans and horrible reviews

OR MAYBE this will turn out to be one of the greatest addaptations ever... and i will start crapping out gold, sunshine and rainbows

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
No matter who they cast in this film, it's going to be a complete mess. Might as well cast someone who will be absolutely hilarious in the lead role. It will probably make it slightly more interesting to watch.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
henritje said:
wait Keanu is around 30 (looks like in his early 20,s) but Kaneda is somewhere in his late teens look Keanu isn't a bad actor but he seems unfit for the role.
Dude Keanu Reeves is 47 years old if the internet is to be believed, and he looked it in the remake of The day the Earth stood still. Are you serious when you think he could play someone in their late teens?

Carl Fox

May 7, 2011
Why this whole project have "black hole levels of suck" written all over it...

I'll stick with the original, thanks.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Uh...I dunno about this. Akira has always been like Harry Potter: a story about dumbass kids.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Hahaha this is absolutely HILARIOUS. Man. I knew this was gonna be bad, but come on. Keanu Reeves? As Akira? Talk about bad casting. You're not even trying, Hollywood.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Lt. Vinciti said:
So it seems that stealing a great film and beating it w/ a baseball bat made of America and adding lilywhite actors....

God Help Us All

Hollywood Ruining Something else....

I would pay the (stupid) price to see Akira in modern day theater...then I would the Americanitzed remake....which I will now refer to as Adam
We can atleast be safe in knowing that all of the American superheroes have had American actors and will continue to do so.

Furious Styles

Jul 10, 2010
henritje said:
wait Keanu is around 30 (looks like in his early 20,s) but Kaneda is somewhere in his late teens look Keanu isn't a bad actor but he seems unfit for the role.
Actually he's 46

He looks good for his age, but that just doesn't make sense. Kaneda was a teenager, how can a 46 year old play a teenager?

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
Arslan Galeyev said:
This + the fact that Mr. Reeves is going to play Spike Spiegel in the Cowboy Bebop Live Action film just undermines my faith in humanity entirely...
This...I don't...IS THIS TRUE?!
Wow, I am sooo behind! This is terrible!

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
Wow I cant wait to see the reviews of this movie!! Sounds like they are destroying this anime that holds such a dear place to me as one of my first animes watched. Well only thing that could be worse is if they brought in M. knight shamalan to direct

gundamrx101

Nov 19, 2010
Not only is he old, he needs to more open emotionally. Kaneda is brash, offensive, forward, loyal to his friends and is deeply affected by what happens to Tetsuo. An actor needs to convey ALL that, and Johnny Yong Bosch did that amazingly in the anime and I have yet to see a mainstream actor express that kind of range.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
Well, Keanu is about the right age for the role. What's that? Kaneda is supposed to be a teenager? Oh you poor, naive, lucky souls.

The new Akira is set in a ruined New York and is being used as symbolism for 9/11 because that's what American filmmakers do these days. Seriously, Tetsuo and Kaneda's mom actually says, "Don't ever forget," during the big disaster scene at the beginning. Gogo Gadget Subtlety. And yes, I said Tetsuo and Kaneda's mom. They're brothers now. And they're both middle aged. And neither is a member of a motorcycle gang. Also, Akira is now a stereotypical "creepy" child who walks around humming a nursery rhyme. You should look up which rhyme they've chosen.

So they're remaking Akira but changing the setting, plot, characters, themes and symbolism. How could casting Keanu make that any worse?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Wha... there is a whole sea of potential fail there.
Akira was a very Japanese story full of weird shit, an adaption of that ... really can't have high hopes.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Ekonk said:
Hahaha this is absolutely HILARIOUS. Man. I knew this was gonna be bad, but come on. Keanu Reeves? As Akira? Talk about bad casting. You're not even trying, Hollywood.
Uhhhhhhh you do know that in the during the events of the original Akira was just a tube of organs right?? But then again that might be the perfect role for Keanu

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
uguito-93 said:
Ekonk said:
Uhhhhhhh you do know that in the during the events of the original Akira was just a tube of organs right?? But then again that might be the perfect role for Keanu
Wait, I'm being stupid. Still, Akira did actually show up. I'm trying to find a picture but I can't find it.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
henritje said:
Look at Tv. How often has being way too old stopped them from casting someone?

OT: I'm calling bullshit. This is just them putting out a fake story to get a half dozen news cycles from people screaming how he could never be Kaneda. Exactly the people who hate it will keep the story going. I'll wait for real news before I care.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Aww...

I love me some Keanu but no... No, this won't work. He's not fit for this!

Think about the yelling scenes! I just don't think this role suits him at all.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, he's playing Spike from Cowboy Bebop?! No, no, no!

He can not be Spike. Sure, they have quiet voices both but that's it!

Jeez... I don't think I'll look.

Why is it every single life action thing of something Japanese over here gets hosed. First there was that Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within which was NOT Final Fantasy. Then Dragonball Evolution which was just stupid. And now these... *pouts*