Keanu Reeves Negotiating for Lead Role in Akira

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Well, I would prefer Keanu Reeves over some nameless sponge of an actor, like they had for DBZ evolutions.

After DBZ evolutions, hollywood remakes of anime can only go up.

But not THAT up.

AsurasFinest

Oct 26, 2010
I....
Just....
What?...

Words fail me here
Hollywood you've done it again
Systematically killing everything I love, one by one

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Actors such as Brad Pitt, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Ryan Gosling are said to have been considered for the role of Kaneda in the past.
Maybe I'm a little bias, due the fact I love the man, but Joseph Gordon-Levitt sounds like a damn good choice to me. Reeves just seems FAR too old.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Live action adaptions of animation are almost always rubbish. This looks like no exception.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
to be honest. I don't care at this point, I just want the movie to be made and then be done with it. I got a little excited for Death Note but that's canceled so I'm not getting my hopes up for this to be any good. it will suck, I would probably still see it and boo during the credits
$10 says if they keep the expanding mutate ending then 40% of the audience with claim that they ripped off south park. I watched akira with a friend and he came to that conclusion since he didn't know that the trapper keeper episode was an homage to akira.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
Ekonk said:
uguito-93 said:
Ekonk said:
Hahaha this is absolutely HILARIOUS. Man. I knew this was gonna be bad, but come on. Keanu Reeves? As Akira? Talk about bad casting. You're not even trying, Hollywood.
Uhhhhhhh you do know that in the during the events of the original Akira was just a tube of organs right?? But then again that might be the perfect role for Keanu
Wait, I'm being stupid. Still, Akira did actually show up. I'm trying to find a picture but I can't find it.
well yeah, but Akira is a god-like child who shows up for a flashback and Deus Ex Machina at the end of the movie
and he looks like this.
http://i-beta.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/1/1/7/51117.jpg?v=1

Gingernerd

Jan 16, 2010
Maybe it would be a good idea to leave this in the hands of the Japanese. And if it's there choice not to blemish an almost perfect anime/ manga with an unecessary Live Action, then so be it.

The reason I say leave it to the Japanese is because I hear that the Death Note Live Actions are genuinely good. If a Japanese, they'd probably make Akira into an appropriately series of movies and adapt them in a real-life anime style.

Seems redundant, but i prefer this to Akira being potentially squashed into a generic Hollywood movie formula. And if what Sunburst313 said is true, then things look bleak.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
The anime was confusing enough how the hell is the live action not gonna be a confusing mess forgot keanu being lead.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Considering Akira wasn't that great a story beyond the mediochre action fare that Hollywood puts out anyway, I don't mind there being differences like Keanu Reeves being Kaneda as opposed to John Cho. Frankly I see opportunity for some improvement but I find it hard to believe it will actually get any better beyond the bike sequences being better.
Mr.K. said:
Wha... there is a whole sea of potential fail there.
Akira was a very Japanese story full of weird shit, an adaption of that ... really can't have high hopes.
This ninja concurs.
FalloutJack said:
Sorry, but as I recall, the people in Akira tend to do things that he doesn't, like enunciate. Shouting, screaming, grandstanding, dramatically gesturing, and so on. More importantly, there is NO POINT in making a live action Akira. The music and animation WAS the point, since the plot is...not so present.
He has his moments...

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
By the by, the script is completely different so the protagonists are in their twenties or thirties. Wanna know who else is in the running? Robert. Pattinnson.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
samsonguy920 said:
Considering Akira wasn't that great a story beyond the mediochre action fare that Hollywood puts out anyway, I don't mind there being differences like Keanu Reeves being Kaneda as opposed to John Cho. Frankly I see opportunity for some improvement but I find it hard to believe it will actually get any better beyond the bike sequences being better.
Mr.K. said:
Wha... there is a whole sea of potential fail there.
Akira was a very Japanese story full of weird shit, an adaption of that ... really can't have high hopes.
This ninja concurs.
FalloutJack said:
Sorry, but as I recall, the people in Akira tend to do things that he doesn't, like enunciate. Shouting, screaming, grandstanding, dramatically gesturing, and so on. More importantly, there is NO POINT in making a live action Akira. The music and animation WAS the point, since the plot is...not so present.
He has his moments...
It's ironic that up until he says I want room service, I could see this being an actual scene of the US Akira. I like Keanu but this is really going to be a train wreck.

Crispee

Nov 18, 2009
As has probably been mentioned, this film won't be entirely what fans of the original want, and it probably won't gain too many new fans if it's just about blatant 9/11 symbolism. So I'd say go for Keanu Reeves since he can do no harm or good, just as long as he shouts "TETSUO!" every so often.

monojono

Sep 3, 2009
NickCaligo42 said:
See, these guys aren't bad at what they do, but I don't think "Kaneda" when I hear their names. Maybe the guy who played Kirk in the 2009 Star Trek movie, I think he'd do pretty nicely at it, but you know what'd be even better? An actual Asian guy playing the extremely Asian character in this extremely Asian movie.
As a straight white male aged 18-30, I am very glad that hollywood is going to replace all the asian characters in an asian film with white americans. After all, I want the good guys to look like me, even if they are a horrible choice for the role. As the target audience for all films not about romance or talking animals, I must be right!

Travdelosmuertos

Apr 16, 2009
NickCaligo42 said:
See, these guys aren't bad at what they do, but I don't think "Kaneda" when I hear their names. Maybe the guy who played Kirk in the 2009 Star Trek movie, I think he'd do pretty nicely at it, but you know what'd be even better? An actual Asian guy playing the extremely Asian character in this extremely Asian movie.
Keanu Reeves' father is half chinese, half Hawaiian (Polynesians are considered to be asian).

I'm reminded of when people complained that Jake Gyllenhaal wasn't middle eastern for Prince of Persia when he is half jewish.

Sanglyon

Apr 3, 2009
Crispee said:
As has probably been mentioned, this film won't be entirely what fans of the original want, and it probably won't gain too many new fans if it's just about blatant 9/11 symbolism. So I'd say go for Keanu Reeves since he can do no harm or good, just as long as he shouts "TETSUO!" every so often.
He'll shout "Travis", Tetsuo's new name for the movie.