Kickstarter Video Project Attracts Misogynist Horde

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Richardplex said:
Wow. Talk about one sided journalism. For a rational view of why people are against this that isn't just picking youtube comments, which are vile on every subject under the sun, and calling it news, here:
AS much as this documentary is pointless, the story is about the abuse she is recieving. That isn't called for and it's disgusting, she obviously doesn't deserve that. She also doesn't really deserve her kickstarter funding either.
ShadowKirby said:
A) People can throw money wherever they like and support the projects they feel are important (and in this case, it is)

B) Don't point to a video of some asshole making ridicule of said project as an argument.
Oh, sorry lads and lasses, can't share anything that contradicts this guys points of view! I mean, how dare we have our own opinions and post with in the rules of this forum.

This project isn't important. People can throw their money at whatever the fuck they want, but this is just wasted. This money could have a million better uses. Maybe give it to a womens charity. Fuck, burn it and use it as a heat source, that would probably be better.

This documentary is going to do literally nothing. Why does she need thousands of dollars to point out the obvious? People are either A: Smart enough to realise most females in videogames aren't realistic representations of most females, or B: Are stupid douchebags and this documentary is going to do nothing to change that. Extra Credits basically did the same thing as this a while back, without having to do a kickstarter. In fact, go on Youtube and I bet the same type of video exists a dozen times over, again made for free.

I don't know if this women is earnest and naive, or money grabbing, but either way she isn't doing anything worthwhile. The video makes some very valid points about what a documentary should and shouldn't do, and notes many flaws that mean both those docu's will inevitably suck.

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
Richardplex said:
Wow. Talk about one sided journalism. For a rational view of why people are against this that isn't just picking youtube comments, which are vile on every subject under the sun, and calling it news, here:
If you don't agree with the documentary, you don't say she needs some dick or anything similar that they feel it is oh so funny. You don't give money and you forget about it.

I wish all those idiots posting those comments in her YouTube video lost their internet connection and never ever recovered it again. They make the internet dirty just by connecting to it.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
razer17 said:
AS much as this documentary is pointless, the story is about the abuse she is recieving. That isn't called for and it's disgusting, she obviously doesn't deserve that. She also doesn't really deserve her kickstarter funding either.
True, and I don't dispute that it isn't called for and it makes me embarassed to associate my gender with these people, but I mean, why make a news report for this? If there was a news report every time a bunch of misogynists were being scum, we'd never learn anything outside of youtube/xbox live. Sure it's unacceptable, but we aren't fixing anything, and we aren't learning anything - anyone who saw this project knew right away this was going to happen.

paketep said:
Richardplex said:
If you don't agree with the documentary, you don't say she needs some dick or anything similar that they feel it is oh so funny. You don't give money and you forget about it.

I wish all those idiots posting those comments in her YouTube video lost their internet connection and never ever recovered it again. They make the internet dirty just by connecting to it.
For one, see above. For another, that's like saying that you aren't allowed to disagree with uwe boll making films, or EA practices, or Michael Bay Michael-Baying franchises (don't necessarily hold they views FYI) because you can just not give money and forget about it. The response youtubers are giving is absolutely vile and unacceptable. The response I gave is acceptable - disagreeing and giving reasons why without insulting the creators.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Ha! People are hilariously stupid.

I'd quite like to see what she produces; it'd be nice to see something other than the massive titted, cookie-cutter, females from most games.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
I used to like being part of the gaming community but stupid BS like this is occurring so frequently I'm actually embarrassed to be associated with 99% of gamers.

Regardless of whether or not you think this person deserves $6000 to make a documentary, or even if such a documentary is necessary, the response to it is completely unacceptable and you degrade us all by acting this way.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, mysognist comments suck, but why the hell would anyone kickstarter a youtube video series that people have been doing for free since the inception of the site? I mean what does she need to spend money doing?

I think the series has the potential to be interesting, but more than likely it's just going to be identical to the critiques that have been all over game journalism for the last few years and we'll gain nothing from it.

Don't bother funding it, but don't flame her either.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Richardplex said:
So... he talks about documentaries needing to be unbiased, and then goes on to be incredibly biased himself. Wonderful. A lot of the things he said seems to be opinion based, like how 'everyone already understands this subject already.' I highly doubt this is true. That's not to say he doesn't make valid points, just that those points seem to be masked by pure hate for the kickstarter. And I wouldn't call that video very rational either considering it's mainly just him bitching about things he doesn't like.

Personally, I'm not sure where to stand on the documentary itself. It does seem like it'll be biased, though it's hard to tell for sure given the fact that it hasn't (as far as I know) been produced yet. But at the same time it is an issue that seems to be on many gamers minds at the moment given the reaction to the Hitman trailer. I'm not sure about her motivation or how it'll turn out. But at the same time I think it's up to the people doing so to decide if they want to contribute to it or not. I personally do not. Though the arguement that this seems to be more of a cash-grab might have some merit depending on how well the final product turns out. If it turns out to be shit that likely took about 1/20th of the amount she got at best, then I suspect a lot of people will be pissed for good reason. We'll just have to see.

But as for the reaction it's gotten, which seems to be the main point of this article, I do think that a lot of the comments are just downright bad. The fact people are trying to get this labeled as terrorism and get the project defunded only helps kind of show that there is an issue to be addressed in my opinion. But a lot of that reaction is from Youtube comments. That's where you're normally going to see some of the worst reactions anyways. So taking them as evidence isn't neccessarily the best idea. I dunno.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
Um youtube comments, come on now really? Were talking about the same community that can turn a mario video into a 'debate' over religion. It comes with the territory, welcome to the world of 12 year old trolls, enjoy your stay.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Now, I haven't been to the kickstarter. But I will say this. As the evidence here shows, it doesn't actually seem feminist at all. She isn't talking about changing the videogame industry. She is talking about common tropes in videogames regarding women. Ultimately it may spur some kind of change in the industry, but whether it does or not it's ultimately completely harmless. The industry is about money. Say they make all these games politically correct, they will probably not sell as well, or they may sell exactly the same. I can't think of the last time I saw a so called misogynist scene in a game and was not really indifferent about it. Really, everyone knows about these tropes and deconstructing them isn't going to change that. We all know about the helpless princess and the over sexualized female lead, all of that.

I pity the people that participate in the situation as they do, based on the YouTube comments. But if you look at some of the more inflammatory comments, many of these people are not upset about it being about women, but a whole host of issues including it being about women. It's a real shame this is going on. But I bet it was this kind of thing that made more people donate money. Which I would consider a positive thing.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Phasmal said:
Aaaand cue the people defending this sort of shit.

This stuff happens all the time in the gaming community and it needs to be pointed out and heckled as much as possible.

Hopefully, the gaming community will be dragged kicking and screaming towards a point where this kind of crap is at least frowned upon. (But I am sure I will be called `extreme` for even thinking there is a problem).
Amen, this kind of behavior is just vile. There's literally no other way to describe it; it's just vile, pathetic, insecure, juvenile bullshit. And I'm gonna be blunt, it's not because people think this woman is biased and unfair that they're ragging on her. They're ragging on her because she actually has a spine to bring these matters to light AT ALL. Sexism has not magically vanished just because of women's suffrage, it still happens and in videogames it's a giant neon elephant in the room that needs to be addressed. I commend her for putting up with this and I do eagerly await to see what this series will be like.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
It goes without saying that those comments were completely vile and unnecessary. Still, I have to throw my hat into the whole "Why bother making a documentary?" ring as well.

At this point in time it would seem more reasonable (and more productive) to use Kickstarter to fund games with better female characters rather than to make a documentary about the lack of good female characters in video games. It's sort of like a hospital getting funding to help improve hospital standards, and rather than improving the hospital the money is instead used to make a documentary on how the hospital is in disarray. I guess my thought is that with the countless number of youtube videos, blogs, even forum posts dedicated to the subject, it would seem to me that we have gone past the "Identify the problem" stage and should be heading into the "How do we resolve this" stage.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Therumancer said:
Ask yourself this question Grey, whether you agree with her or not, how would you try and shut her down if you were of a mind to do so? You can say you wouldn't engage in E-intimidation, but at the same time it's not like there are any other recourses.
I wouldn't. I'm not so insecure in my views that I feel the need to censor people who disagree with me.
Well said Grey. She can't harm anyone by engaging in this type of documentation. So maybe she disagrees with you, so what. You're a way better man than a lot of folks on the internet.

Also, isn't it amazing what the anonymity of the internet does to some people.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Richardplex said:
razer17 said:
True, and I don't dispute that it isn't called for and it makes me embarassed to associate my gender with these people, but I mean, why make a news report for this? If there was a news report every time a bunch of misogynists were being scum, we'd never learn anything outside of youtube/xbox live. Sure it's unacceptable, but we aren't fixing anything, and we aren't learning anything - anyone who saw this project knew right away this was going to happen.
I for one am glad it's been featured.
I've had people tell me sexism is no longer a problem in our community, with a straight face. Which is just bizzarre to me. Obviously as a girl I've seen my fair share, and there are times where I begin to think there is no point trying to change anything.

But I don't think it should ever be something we should just accept. Gaming sites/gamers saying this is not acceptable is a positive thing, and I'm happy to see it. People who don't participate in it but sit quietly as it goes on don't help.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Kapol said:
Richardplex said:
So... he talks about documentaries needing to be unbiased, and then goes on to be incredibly biased himself. Wonderful. A lot of the things he said seems to be opinion based, like how 'everyone already understands this subject already.' I highly doubt this is true. That's not to say he doesn't make valid points, just that those points seem to be masked by pure hate for the kickstarter. And I wouldn't call that video very rational either considering it's mainly just him bitching about things he doesn't like.
Um, he isn't doing a documentary? People are allowed to biased, just not when you want to make a documentary. And that's just ForeverPanderings' presentation - he's very aware he comes across as bitching. But "Pure hate" - really? You got that from it? He's definitely not misogynistic, he just doesn't like badly done pointless documentaries.

As for whether everyone already understands this issue, I suppose that's, unfortunately, not true. But here's the thing: are those who don't know this is an issue going to go to this 'documentary' and be enlightened? To me at least, it's obviously not going to happen. You can go to the extra credits coverage of the topic and be enlightened, but this appeals to people who already hold an identical view to the topic - thus, it is completely pointless as a documentary.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Buretsu said:
Bertylicious said:
Ha! People are hilariously stupid.

I'd quite like to see what she produces; it'd be nice to see something other than the massive titted, cookie-cutter, females from most games.
But they go so well with the ridiculously broad shoulders, absurdly chiseled abs, perfectly formed posteriors, and carefully mussed hair of the cookie-cutter males from most games.
Heh, true! Then again the only games I can think of where the female protagonists aren't massive chested sex dolls from the planet action hero are ones where they are children, though I am pretty drunk.

Hey wait, there was that Japanese game on the Wii where you had to photograph ghosts or something where you played some sort of normal looking lady college student wasn't there? Phew! Sexism in video games dispelled!

Saying that I'm all for hyper sexualised protagonists, but I just don't get why they're still throwing bimbos at us to be honest. I mean, all you'd need is some Amelie looking wench with glasses and you've pretty much cornered the nerd fantasy market.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Grey Carter said:
"so you're a bolshevik feminist jewess that hates White people and does website design for Tim Wise extremist platform and you expect to be taken seriously when you're "critique-ing" video games," writes charming YouTube user, Haploguy. [http://www.youtube.com/user/haploguy]

"fucking ovendodger," he adds.
Wow. Someone who uses the phrase "bolshevik feminist jewess" actually mocking someone else for expecting to be taken seriously by the general public. I don't know what's taller, his high horse or the pedestal on which he's planted himself.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Phasmal said:
Richardplex said:
razer17 said:
I for one am glad it's been featured.
I've had people tell me sexism is no longer a problem in our community, with a straight face. Which is just bizzarre to me. Obviously as a girl I've seen my fair share, and there are times where I begin to think there is no point trying to change anything.

But I don't think it should ever be something we should just accept. Gaming sites/gamers saying this is not acceptable is a positive thing, and I'm happy to see it. People who don't participate in it but sit quietly as it goes on don't help.
Like I said, this sickens me greatly that people are still like this, and we should absolutely not accept this. People who think sexism doesn't exist are just naive/sheltered for sure. It's just... youtube comments are basically the most vile place you can be on the internet at the moment really. *Thinks how the word this*. I just don't see the benefit of a news report that is really just saying this: "Hey guys! Weekly Update: Youtube is still full of ignorant ****s, here's some headdesk material for you!" It's an issue every one of us knows exists on youtube, and it doesn't need a news report. Because unfortunately we get that news report every time we come onto a video touching politics/gender/religoin/sexuality/evolution/something-that-isn't-remotely-related-to-these-but-still-has-comments-discussing-it. It's not acceptable, but it isn't news either, which is what this is supposed to be.