Kickstarter Video Project Attracts Misogynist Horde

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I'm perfectly willing to admit that there is a problem of sexism in gaming media and the gaming community, and that this kind of reaction is over the top and unacceptable.
However, I'm also going to say that this kickstarter is fucking stupid and pointless. The "documentary" (more of a vlog, to be honest), sure, fine, it has merit. But the actual kickstarter bit itself is just pointless.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Richardplex said:
..Okay, you got me. The video wasn't a good source. I just had that video at the ready, having recently-ish watched it, and I suffered some delicious confirmation bias. I still think his points were valid, badly executed or no.

As for documentaries, I'll have to disagree with you there. Me and my friend link each documentaries, and then discuss them afterwards. My most recent one for example was about the Yakuza, and I'm more educated, and more neutral about them now. The documentary was fairly neutral in my opinion, and it was one of the better ones I've seen because of that neutrality. YMMV is in effect here, but I'd definitely advocate that neutral documentaries make better discussion value, and thus better documentaries.

I'll edit my original post to say it isn't the best of sources..
[sub]really tempted to just say fuck it and delete everything, I'm exhausted with all these responses...[/sub]
I don't disagree that some of the points were valid, even if I don't agree with all of them. It's always too bad when some good points do fall flat due to poor execution. It happens though. It's not like it was anything more then a video for youtube anyways.

For the documentary point, I meant that for documentaries on very opinionated subjects with little proof for either side or some/a lot of evidence for both sides. Documentaries like one on the Yakuza can be a bit less... debateable? Not sure if that's the right word for it. Generally though those documentaries can use facts and actual events rather then using studies and tests that are possibly biased. Sort of like the Mortal Kombat documentary. Though I've heard that was one which was very good at presented both sides, I highly doubt it really changed many opinions.

And sorry if I'm exhasting you more. ^^; At the very least I'd like to thank you for not being an ass in my dealings with you (I say that as I haven't read the other comments much to be honest). I know the feeling of having people just keep quoting you on the same thing over and over and just wanting it to be done. So it's fine to leave it at that if at this if you'd like.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Glad to seen this kickstarter is doing well! And, honestly, is anyone surprised that youtube is full of the sort of person that breaks down into tears of buttmad when someone dares to issue reasonable criticism of something they like?

Buretsu said:
intent to counter sexism with more sexism.
[citation needed]

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
There's a small part of me that says she knew exactly what reaction she'd get from making this video, and made it anyways because now she can post your tiny-penis rage up on her website, and blow that funding on buying a kick ass game system for her and her friends. I would. I'd email you pictures of it too.

This is both the 21st Century and not the G.O.P. Go take your hate for women back to the 1950's where it belongs.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
LastGreatBlasphemer said:
This Kickstarter NEEDS horrendous people making these posts. Because this kickstarter NEEDS to fail.
No. You could not be more wrong.

Even if you disagree with the Kickstarter project, the response is not to post violent, misogynistic and hateful diatribe. All that does is sadly prove to use that gamedom does indeed have a serious problem with sexism still.

If you have a problem with a Kickstarter Project you have two reasonable options as I can see.
1) Ignore it. Don't donate money and don't care about it. Don't view the finished project. Don't consume it. Don't interact with it. This is the internet. It's incredibly simple to just click that little red 'x' in the corner and move on to something else.
2) Be constructive. Explain, in detail, why you think that it's a problem. Maybe change the person's mind. Maybe try to educate others who support it or disagree with it. Start a dialogue and aim to convince others to see your point of view.

Anyone who supports stuff like

"fuck you feminist fucks you already have equality. Infact yo have better shit than most males, be glad what you got *****. Also if you want equality, we talk to men like that too, so fuck off faggo.. I mean lesbian"
deserves all the scorn that the original poster of it receives. This sort of dialogue, no matter who it's directed to, should have no place in reasoned discussion on the merits (or lacktherof) of a Kickstarter Project.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Buretsu said:
Kahunaburger said:
This Kickstarter NEEDS horrendous people making these posts. Because this kickstarter NEEDS to fail.
You're about $45,000 too late haha.
Because all one has to do is say "Sexism" and...

Because throwing money at a problem is easier than trying to acknowledge it.[/quote]

Well, considering that the entire point of this project is to educate (and it's part of a larger effort to express feminist theory in an accessible manner to non-academics) I'm having a hard time seeing where you're coming from here.

kingpocky

Jan 21, 2009
1) Ignoring it and hoping it goes away is how Bush landed his second term as president. It's not a realistic option. If this kick starter succeeds, and it's just what we think it is, then this lady got a shit ton of money, to tell us what we could find for free just about anywhere, and we let her get away with it. It's like Scientology. Crazy book says crazy things. But what those crazy things are, you gotta pay for it.
TOTALLY a broken analogy. Even if you think it's stupid, it doesn't affect you that the video exists. You can't choose to not be affected by who the president is

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
This isn't really as unusual for the youtube "community" as you seem to think.

Then again, i occasionally go out of my way to read the comments on videos for a good laugh, i'd guess most people just desperately pretend they aren't there.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Well, whatever those commenters on youtube wanted to achieve, I have a slight feeling that it wasn't to make it go viral and the funds to skyrocket. Just a feeling though, might be wrong.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
..It's Youtube, who willingly reads the comments section? Even for one's own video?

That said, it's obvious the comments selected are nothing short of vile.. but how is this news?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
It's worth noting that Feminist Frequency is reported to me by female friends as being militant to the point of batshit, this is likely them responding to WHOSE doing it rather than WHAT they're doing.

Is it absolutly unacceptable? Yes.

Does that make these video's a good idea for a documentary? Not really.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Kapol said:
Richardplex said:
..Okay, you got me. The video wasn't a good source. I just had that video at the ready, having recently-ish watched it, and I suffered some delicious confirmation bias. I still think his points were valid, badly executed or no.

As for documentaries, I'll have to disagree with you there. Me and my friend link each documentaries, and then discuss them afterwards. My most recent one for example was about the Yakuza, and I'm more educated, and more neutral about them now. The documentary was fairly neutral in my opinion, and it was one of the better ones I've seen because of that neutrality. YMMV is in effect here, but I'd definitely advocate that neutral documentaries make better discussion value, and thus better documentaries.

I'll edit my original post to say it isn't the best of sources..
[sub]really tempted to just say fuck it and delete everything, I'm exhausted with all these responses...[/sub]
I don't disagree that some of the points were valid, even if I don't agree with all of them. It's always too bad when some good points do fall flat due to poor execution. It happens though. It's not like it was anything more then a video for youtube anyways.

For the documentary point, I meant that for documentaries on very opinionated subjects with little proof for either side or some/a lot of evidence for both sides. Documentaries like one on the Yakuza can be a bit less... debateable? Not sure if that's the right word for it. Generally though those documentaries can use facts and actual events rather then using studies and tests that are possibly biased. Sort of like the Mortal Kombat documentary. Though I've heard that was one which was very good at presented both sides, I highly doubt it really changed many opinions.

And sorry if I'm exhasting you more. ^^; At the very least I'd like to thank you for not being an ass in my dealings with you (I say that as I haven't read the other comments much to be honest). I know the feeling of having people just keep quoting you on the same thing over and over and just wanting it to be done. So it's fine to leave it at that if at this if you'd like.
I'm not having to defend myself against someone who I agree with with you, so I have no problem with you quoting me :)

I think I know what you mean - the mention of the word Yakuza doesn't immediately cause people to flare their opinions on the matter like gender equality, violence in videogames or evolution does, so it doesn't elicit the same controversy, despite being a grey issue. I guess the word would be polarising. And yeah, while this 'documentary' covers a polarising issue has what could be seen as facts to it - though of course whether x is a bad female character will be wildly disputed - they aren't bringing anything else to the table, so you just get people bristling with their opinions, unchanging. Really this needs to have how both male and females are stereotypicalised - and I know it's nowhere near as bad for men as it is for women, as Irridium put it so well:
Irridium said:
And yeah yeah, men have to conform to stereotypes as well. Because conforming to the stereotype of "saving the world and getting all the fame/money/women" is totally the same thing as "just sit back and let the men handle things".
But still, I think having it in there is required for it to have any credibility whatsoever. Even then though it's fairly pointless.

I think this post is very badly organised, but I'm very tired. So yeah, basically I see what you mean and I agree; documentaries that are neutral and informative only work as discussion value when solid facts are used, with some opinions from relevant people with experience in the matter, and the opinion overall is left to the viewer to decide. Other documentaries that have no hard facts fall back to studies and heresay, and thus fail for discussion value or to sway opinions, and these, along with landmine topics, can't fullfill the function that the former does at being a documentary, and only succeed at making people say "yeah, I still agree with my own opinion".

Edit: also, your reply meant I read the comments. ...I have a feeling I'm going to be heavily wrongly associated here. Why did I post in a minefield of a topic like this and not do my usual generic agreement that misogynists are scum :/

Nemesis729

Jul 9, 2010
There's no arguing that the video game community is incredibly sexist, I hope that she doesn't let the threats and rude comments discourage her, because she does have a unique opportunity to make a difference. The only thing I don't totally get is why her goal for the kickstarter was so high, $6,000 seems excessive. I know she said she had to pay for games and production value but it still seems like overkill.

Regardless I hope she makes good use of the money, And I REALLY hope that any of the money not going to the videos goes to a good cause and not her own pocket.