Kid Icarus: Uprising and Hurt Nintendo Fans

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
My response to Yahtzee would be as follows:

Firstly, journalistic credibility? I know ZP has been very good to you but there's a point in which one starts believing one's own press a little too much. I would argue that nobody uses ZP or the Extra Punctuation columns to determine whether or not they will buy a game.

However, that's besides the point.

You're arguing that you're not biased against Nintendo and it's just a load of butthurt fanboys and why is it only directed at you? Well, part of it might be that every Nintendo review that you do is roughly 1/3 to 1/2 bashing Nintendo as a company or bashing whatever console they put out. Now, if you did the same ratio for Sony and Microsoft reviews, then you could make the argument that you aren't singling anyone out.

But you don't. Every Nintendo review has the same comments about the company as a whole and/or the console as a whole but, mysteriously, Sony & Microsoft avoid such treatment.

So, if you're really trying to discuss and not just pouring out the butthurt, I would suggest this: When reviewing Nintendo games, try to stick to just the game or the franchise for the bashing. Yes, it means you're going to have to dig a little deeper instead of trotting out the same jokes that you've been replaying since your first Nintendo review. However, that would go further towards establishing the supposed credibility that you seek to defend than making another Nintendo review where 1/3 of it is already written before you even sit down with the game.

P.S. The Gamecube thing? I don't know if there is a trope for it but that strikes me as a "My best friend is black" argument. Given that there was hardly a dearth of Mario games on the GC, I have a feeling that the only thing that would have changed in your reviews is the inability to discuss wonky controller types.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I'll say what everyone else has said, with one word changed: Don't try to reason with any fanboys.
Don't. Just don't. The thing that differentiates fans from fanboys is the fact that fanboys have a strange condition in which they simply can not understand why anyone else would not like what they like. Don't try reasoning with them, because they have no reason. Anything that would convince a logical person to be more apathetic to your point of view simply passes right by fanboys. They will argue without logic or reason endlessly about the silliest little things, all because someone doesn't have the same opinion as them.
I would know; I used to be one. I used to think that Halo was the single greatest game of all time, and that nothing came close to it's greatness. Say what you like about Bioshock, but Bioshock holds a special place in my heart for broadening my horizons tenfold, and opening me up to other, better games. I never play Halo anymore.

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
So, in Yahtzee's latest Extra Punctuation article, he pretty much accuses everyone who disagrees with him not liking Kid Icarus: Uprising of being a Nintendo fanboy.

Not only that, he also puts in a line about how his feelings are hurt by people acting defensive, despite usually bashing a game so rudely and abrasively that it's an insult to anyone who actually likes it.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Sheo_Dagana said:
I have a feeling that you didn't even read the whole quoted post or the thread and with it my other post.

Why I visit ZP? As I said, for some laughter. Even if he rips apart a game I love, I still find it funny. I watched the Skyward Sword review he hated, jet I loved, SSBB and pretty much all of his "reviews".

The part that you quoted stats just the truth. Yahtzee is NOT a journalist. He is a comedian. No one should take his reviews to serious because you can't possible know what point is real and what is exaggerated. That doesn't make him a bad comedian, but that makes it impossible for him to be a real reviewer. For him to be a reviewer, people need to be able to take his points seriously. How can you do that is his opening statement says you're a twat for liking what he doesn't like?

A 12 y/o child doesn't have any journalistic credibility. Yahtzee behaves like a 11 y/o.

As I said, that doesn't make his reviews any less funny. But at times it makes them frustrating.

Also, I'm not a Nintendo fanboy. I'm just a fan. Nintendo does everything right to keep me loyal, for now. If they changed to something I don't like, I would stop being loyal. A fanboy is someone who will be loyal no matter what.

I don't mind that Yahtzee tells stuff that other reviewer would like to say, but can't. I don't really care if he bashes a game I like.

But I care if he creates problems that don't exist, especially if it's a game that I've played and know such problems don't exist. It's not important whether I like the game or not. Hell, I even defended the latest CoD even tho I hate it because he was talking about non existing problems creating a false image of the game. And I will always defend a game, no matter how bad it is from false accusations.

It's one think to point out flaws and even exaggerate them. But it's another to invent flaws that don't exist just to make your bashing easier.

And I did exaggerate with the 3DS a bit. You can't jump. But you can use it normally while walking, in the bus, car, on the toilet... Normal movement won't create double vision. That's at least from my experience.

And please, point out some of my spelling errors so that I can fix them. I try my best to write grammatically correct, but as English isn't my native language, it's not as easy as some people think it is.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Scrumpmonkey said:
McMarbles said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
How can any section of people keep ignoring these points? It's a portable game. That requires a stand. This should be the end of the argument.
I've known lots of people who had no problem playing it without a stand.

Unless "requires" now means "can be optionally be played with".
Well if the stand is not needed why was it shipped with one? The game is REALLY rather awkward to play without the it. If it was not, the stand would not exist. These are facts.
The stand exists. That is a fact.

Why the stand exists? Well, barring an official statement from Team Sora, I'm going to have to say that the answer depends on who you ask. Some will say it's to accomodate people who have lass of a comfortable time with the default controls. Some will say that it's to allow the use of really unorthodox control schemes. Some will say it's to make it more comfortable when sitting at a table. And some will say that it's an admittance of bad controls.

Being a guy who has 9.0'd the majority of the stages without the stand, I am, admittedly, buased. But I don't see the stand as necessary, or even really important at all. I believe it was made to try and pacify people who were going to complain about a control scheme that few people had a problem with 6 years ago.

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
ccesarano said:
Let's also speak true, this is hardly the first DS game to require the stylus while holding the system in one hand. However, no one seemed to really fault Knights in the Nightmare, Phoenix Wright or Elite Beat Agents for it.
...Except none of the games you mentioned required frantic, rapid pressing of multiple buttons, if I recall correctly. Knights in the Nightmare was a strategy RPG, Phoenix Wright just has you tapping the screen to examine things and work through the case, and I think (emphasis on think) Elite Beat Agents only required you to tap the screen to the beat. You didn't have to touch the screen AND press the left shoulder button AND move the D-pad/Circle Pad constantly, like my friend always has to when I watch her play Kid Icarus: Uprising, depriving you of a solid grip on the handheld. The games you mentioned left you with a free hand to firmly grip the DS.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
...Yahtzee should stick to talking about games. This article was hard to take seriously after reading the first page:
It's all down to that wretched little stand, which means I have to sit at my desk hunched over that little screen.
No, it does not. It gives you the option to. It's for those who are unable to hold the 3DS while they use the default control scheme. You have other fingers, you know.
A mandatory peripheral provided not to enhance gameplay, like a Wii racing wheel...
Not mandatory.
...or a Guitar Hero controller, but to compensate for the game's faulty design.
A guitar hero controller doesn't even fit here. Some GH games let you use a, for example, PS3 controller, and the game is made for the guitar peripheral, not an add-on to fix "faulty" game design. You might as well say a dance pad was made to fix Dance Dance Revolution's game design.

He's only digging his own grave if he keeps up this kind of defense.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
BiH-Kira said:
...and secondly insulting me and my journalistic credibility.
I laughed here quite a bit.
So you have the right to insult people calling them twats because they like a game you don't, insulting people who like motion controls and 3D, jet people aren't allowed to say anything back?

And you didn't have and journalistic credibility to begin with. The big majority of you fans watch you only for the humor, and not to see if they should buy the game. Those who do take your review seriously obviously don't know that you blow everything out of proportions and minor problems seem worse than dooms day. You do sometimes have good points, but unless someone actually played the game, he can't know if you exaggerated or if it's true. But usually it's you exaggerating as much as possible.

You called me a twat because I like the game. And this isn't the first time you insult people because they like games you don't like. No, not even don't like. Games you didn't play past the first 3 minutes. And that is especially the case in Nintendo games.

You ranted in the review of Skyward Sword how the controls didn't work, jet they worked perfectly fine unless you wave the Wiimote like a madman. Ya know, swords can't be precise and attack 20 times a second.

No matter how much a Zelda game changes, as long as it's a adventure game with Link, you will keep saying how it's the same game. Do you even know what the word "franchise" means? I don't think it means what you think it means.

Motion controls work find and can add to the game. True, not every game should have them, but Skyward Sword worked perfectly with them. Games like Red Steel 2 wouldn't even exist without motion controls. All the problems that you have with motion controls aren't caused by the controls but by the developer who can't think of anything creative and useful.

In the last video you wasted half a review just to explain how you are NOT against Nintendo and than proceed to bash Nintendo more than the game.

3D jokes aren't funny anymore. The 3D works fine and is actually useful in the game. The 3D has a much wider field of view than you give it credit. You can walk, sit in the bus, even jump and see the 3D without any problems.

The controls are clumsy at first, but you can get easily used to it and you don't need the fucking stand. It seems to me just that people hand coordination is so fucked up that if they ever needed to survive 5 days on their own, 99% of the human population would die because they would kill them self because they couldn't control their hands while keeping a knife in it.
Did you ever tried to just place your pinky finger behind the 3DS? The fixes EVERY problem there is with the controls. EVERY!

Every other problem would be caused by your inability to move different fingers at will. Or if you're a lefty.

Maybe they could have made the controls better, maybe not. It all depends on how you like them. But fact is, they aren't as bad as you make them to be and you can change them. But no, you couldn't make bad jokes if you said that.

Stop trying justifying your bias and just say you're biased and that's it. No one will give a second fuck about it and people will proceed yo laugh at you "reviews".
Hi there! We were all waiting for you!

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Madmanonfire said:
...Yahtzee should stick to talking about games. This article was hard to take seriously after reading the first page:
It's all down to that wretched little stand, which means I have to sit at my desk hunched over that little screen.
No, it does not. It gives you the option to. It's for those who are unable to hold the 3DS while they use the default control scheme. You have other fingers, you know.
A mandatory peripheral provided not to enhance gameplay, like a Wii racing wheel...
Not mandatory.
...or a Guitar Hero controller, but to compensate for the game's faulty design.
A guitar hero controller doesn't even fit here. Some GH games let you use a, for example, PS3 controller, and the game is made for the guitar peripheral, not an add-on to fix "faulty" game design. You might as well say a dance pad was made to fix Dance Dance Revolution's game design.

He's only digging his own grave if he keeps up this kind of defense.
Look to a rotating N64 logo for all of your unbiased Nintendo coverage. : D

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Nintendo is one of the biggest and oldest players in the game industry, and it has a history of some of the most amazing games out there. For many of us, it was a part of our childhood, likely a big one. Come on. Golden Sun, Zelda OOT, Super Metroid, SMB 3, Metroid Prime and many, many others are all fantastic games.

So yea, a lot of people are justifiably mad with Nintendo. Not because they 'always make crappy games', but because they clearly have the capacity to make amazing games but continue to refuse to.

And when you continue to not only purchase but sing the praises of the nth re-release/remake/sequel then you ENCOURAGE those terrible business choices.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I preferred it when you just said I'm a comedy act as much as a review show, if I say something stupid it was done for humor.

VanillaBean

Feb 3, 2010
Well Yahtzee isn't the only critic who gave the game a bad review. Honestly I think every critic disliked the product. At the end of the day all critics are biased...

Biased against poor games that is.

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
Goodness, the things people get worked up over. Yahtzee is more of an entertainer than a critic anyway, and his reviews need to be taken with a pinch of salt. His entire career is built up from being subjective, often petty, and overtly negative. They're hardly of any real consequence. He's insulted games that I love time and time again, and some of those made me laugh so much that they're among my favourite reviews.

Yahtzee Croshaw said:
I appreciate that Nintendo seem to be the only triple-A company still interested in trying new things
Also, I like that bit. One of the things that I do love about Nintendo is that they're successful enough, and have a devoted enough fanbase, that they can do completely mental ideas and still feel safe in the knowledge they'll make a profit. I remember looking at the DS and wondering what multi-handed, chameleon eyed freak it was built for, and they managed to create one of my favourite systems of all time. A lot of ideas flop, sure, but occasionally they throw out a real gem that you couldn't imagine popping up on a Microsoft or Sony console, because it's just too damn out there.

To summarize, people need to calm down, I laugh whenever Yahtzee insults me or something I care about, and Nintendo is like an eccentric rich guy who's slightly touched in the head but that's why you love him.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
VanillaBean said:
Well Yahtzee isn't the only critic who gave the game a bad review. Honestly I think every critic disliked the product. At the end of the day all critics are biased...

Biased against poor games that is.
If every critic disliked it, why does it have a score of 83 on metascore.com and 4.5 stars on the Escapists review video?

KidTheFat

Dec 25, 2010
I'd like to mention that I have some stubby ass fingers, like my friends laugh at them when they notice, and I have no problem finding a way to wrap my hands around a 3DS in such a way that I can play KI:U on the go, without the stand, and not suffer any pain.

I actually experience less pain with KI:U than I did with Mario Kart 7, trying to hit the shoulders to drift. Just my 2 cents.

ShinGundam

Jun 25, 2010
No offense, I watch Yahtzee because he is more of clown than critic, That said he's a total ass clown, and the fact that there are people who take him seriously is amusing because the whole point of the show is he's making some of most inflammatory reviews, I doubt a game designer come here expect anything of substance or be enlightened by good criticism.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
Moviebob and Yahtzee should never be left alone in the same room again.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
trollpwner said:
Yahtzee, you twit! I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Do. Not. Try. And. Reason. With. Nintendo. Fanboys.

It doesn't work. They live in a different plane of existence to us, where logic can be drowned out by them shouting their opinions at us until we want to kill ourselves. Arguging with them only gives them a platform to yell at you for being "wrong" for disagreeing with them.
Throwing in Nintendo is unnecessary.

Anyone with a fundamentalist view of something is, by design, not going to accept data to the contrary.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
I for one have to salute Yahtzee for making me not waste my hard earned money on more Nintendo faffery, and pointing me in teh direction of games better deserving of my time. Haven't played a Nintendo game in over 4 years, with good damn reason.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
While I'm a huge fan of ZP, and of Yahtzee in general- played and adored his games long before the man was dishing out weekly reviews -I gotta say... what exactly did he expect this would result in? A grand enlightening? Mass conversions?

There will always be people who will disagree with you. Some will do so from reasonable positions, some from purely emotional responses, and some from diehard fanboyism knee-jerks. Even the wisest, most patient, even-handed human alive today probably has a berserk button buried somewhere in there that'd make him break your kneecaps if you triggered it. And ZP dishes out the hate on everyone. Constantly.

So, yeah. You're gonna get dudes calling you biased. Because that's an easy label. But amidst that are the folks who are going to feel offended because you hated on a game they love/feel invested in (and who evidently have no sense of pattern recognition or their first ZP was that one), and most importantly, the folk who are arguing from reasonable counter-points that might be worth reading just to consider alternative stances. Best not to toss out the baby with the bathwater, even if the bathwater is calling you a biased twat and can't take a joke to save its moist soggy life.