Kid Icarus: Uprising Sequel Not Happening, Says Creator

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Aiddon said:
Oh well, you know somebody at Nintendo (even if it's not Sakurai) will make a sequel. I would like to see how they would do a console release. I almost imagine a sort of hack-and-slash like the DMC series.

mattttherman3 said:
Nintendo NOT milking a franchise?! The world just might end after all...
Milking does not mean "actually making sequels to something that's successful." Actually look up the definition before parroting Yahtzee
People have been ripping on Nintendo for milking their franchises without even hearing Yahtzee do so. Do you really hate the man so much that you have to let everyone know by sticking his name in conversations where he isn't present?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Strain42 said:
Am I the only one who thinks this is actually kind of refreshing to hear?* For once, something that was popular and successful and we're not hearing the developer go "Oh yeah, the next one is already in development" or "We've got a trilogy planned.
You're definitely not the only one.
I'm quite glad to hear that Nintendo isn't so eager to turn Kid Icarus into something like Mario, Zelda or Pokemon, where they do so many series and sequels that they eventually just run out of material and start rehashing the same game over and over again.

As for the other "topic" in this thread...
Yeah, the controls are difficult to get used to, but really, after wracking my brain, I honestly cannot find a way to make them functionally better without making changes to the 3DS itself.

(And no, Dual Analog would not work all that well either; it's a matter of reaction-based aiming and precision. Similar to how modern shooters have to be slowed down or given larger margins for error compared to PC shooters. Analog nubs can't change position nearly as fast as a mouse or a touch screen. Tradeoffs have to be made.)

cursedseishi said:
Except, of course, the DS didn't have a narrow area wherein the 3D effects actually worked (much less any 3D effects), which is one of the MAIN reasons a stand was included with the game.
I have two friends who own the game, and play against about a dozen other people at university every other day. (well, DID, now I'm on break. My Finals ended yesterday)

Not one of them uses the stand. Nobody uses the 3D either. Kind of a waste, but it's just a gimmick; and not really a selling point.

Also, I could say the same for the PSP and the Monster Hunter titles. Sure playing the game with your left hand forever contorted in some claw shape worked just fine, it's also uncomfortable as hell. No one complained though because it was their only option. Same as the DS.
Actually, I complained a lot. I loved Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, but I literally could not keep playing my PSP because clawing actually caused lasting, sharp pain in my left index finger.
It's a problem not limited to MH either; but for any other PSP game with a 3D camera. Siphon Filter, MGS:portable Ops...virtually unplayable. And it gets even worse when you assign multiple controls to the same set of buttons.

I've played KI:Uprising for about a month now and I've encountered no such problems.
It's not even fair to compare the two control schemes; they're both awkward to learn for sure, but they're awkward in different ways.

My "secret" is to use the inner palm of my right hand (holding the stylus) to support the bottom right corner of the 3DS while I play. My left hand just holds the 3DS as I would for any other game, only with my left index finger on the L button.

The 3DS doesn't have that excuse, they have the circle-pad pro. Yet instead of doing the intelligent thing (like Capcom did with the Resident Evil game) and allow the circle-pad pro add functionality to the game, they decided to just lazily flip the control screen around and claim it was for "lefties".
That is a perfectly valid complaint, and I thought the same when I saw how the controls were laid out: "How are lefties supposed to play this?"
I do not understand why Nintendo didn't implement symmetric analog nubs when they first designed the 3DS. Did they run out of space for the hardware?

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
That's too bad. I played a little bit of the game and thought it might be fun (still need a 3DS to play). Though, I'd probably play with the 3D off, rendering the pointless stand even more useless. And while I am glad they won't just milk this franchise to death, this only means that they'll be releasing just as many Marios and Zeldas because Kid Icarus, StarFox, and F-Zero don't really get new games often enough.

Not asking for twenty new Kid Icaruses, but just a little more frequently with those kinds of titles, and less so with Mario and Zelda (not a lot, just some).

Dresos

Jun 17, 2011
That's really to bad, I liked the game and would have looked forward to a sequel.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
That's unfortunate. Of all their IPs they could make sequels for, Kid Icarus would have been one I'd welcome. A release on the Wii U would be cool. They should make more of their lesser-known IPs, like Pikmin, F-Zero, StarFox, etc.

Because I'm pretty sure a lot of the people playing SSB don't even know who Captain Falcon is. They just know him as the guy with funny move names and funny taunts.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Matthew94 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Yes it's the "novelty" that would grow thin. For a man who's to lazy to assign a decent control layout, I'm not expecting much innovation for Super Smash Bros. But I hear Epic Mickey's sequel could use some help getting off the ground.
Again, what is wrong with the layout?

I could swear every DS shooter used the same controls and no one cared then, why care now?

Move with D pad (now circle pad)
Aim using the touch screen
Fire with L

What's the issue?
Why not use to touch screen to aim AND fire?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Matthew94 said:
lacktheknack said:
Why not use to touch screen to aim AND fire?
How could that even be done?

You can only do one or the other which would throw off people's aim massively.

Also, I have to say this. You have the worst avatar I have ever seen, so much so that I went into my internet options and disabled it from ever loading. I just had to say.
Holding the pen to the screen would maintain a steady firing rate.

As for the avatar,

http://dannybrown.me/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/success_baby.jpg

Fun fact: The avatar was designed by a friend for a university project. It got 100%.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Matthew94 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Yes it's the "novelty" that would grow thin. For a man who's to lazy to assign a decent control layout, I'm not expecting much innovation for Super Smash Bros. But I hear Epic Mickey's sequel could use some help getting off the ground.
Again, what is wrong with the layout?

I could swear every DS shooter used the same controls and no one cared then, why care now?

Move with D pad (now circle pad)
Aim using the touch screen
Fire with L

What's the issue?
The issue is those other shooters didn't have 5 fire buttons all of which fire the exact same thing, the issue is in those other shooters you could play it decently without using the touchscreen and the camera didn't suck, as this games camera controls without the touch screen make it nearly unplayable, and even with the touchscreen it is awkward at best, and there were better things they could have done.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Alright, sorry for derailing an already derailed thread, but...why the hate? I mean, yeah, Kid Icarus: Uprising had a lot of problems (awkward control schemes for ground fighting (I thought air was awesome, though)), but I never thought it as a bad game. Heck, I though it was a pretty good one. Why does it seem that so many people seem determined to say that it is the worst game ever? Where is all this hate coming from?

OT: Well, that is slightly sad, as I really enjoyed Kid Icarus: Uprising. However, it ended alright and it is refreshing for Nintendo to not kill another franchise by sequel overload.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The novelty of the experience wore thin with me after chapter nine to be honest. I really wanted to like it but it just wasn't what I was expecting and while it was refreshing at first, I just didn't like it that much overall. Oh well, it's too bad they don't take another shot at it but what are ya gonna do. I'll always have the 3DS stand for netflix!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
It was a good idea, the controls were implemented horribly, but not so horrible the game was unplayable. I don't buy the defense that this control scheme is in other games so it's ok in this one. They had the tools to improve them and they chose not to. Sure if you turn the sensitivity all the way up with the stylus it's real fast, but if you have adult sized hands like I do, it was a pain in the ass. I also never bought the game with intention of MP since most of my friends do not own a 3DS.

I think people are confused on what is meant when they say a series has been "milked". They don't mean the games get an occasional sequel. They mean it gets an annual sequel (to beat a long dead horse, COD).

They released actual Mario games not too often. Many of them are not similar to other Mario games. They release Zelda games not that much on a per system basis. They do release many iterations during a set number of years, but those games all tend to be different games. But they never release more than a couple on any given system at time though. The only thing similar about them is the play style. One series they milked the living shit out of is Pokemon. Too many Pokemon games and they are all very similar. The only difference is the map layouts and different Pokemon, but the concepts stay identical. In comparison we have the other games that are milked. So, to state the obvious, we'll start with COD: come the end of this year, they will have 7 games in the same exact system generation. Assassin's Creed will have 5 games come the end of the year, in as many years. That is not to say that any of these stated titles are bad games, I just don't see two Zelda games on the Wii as "milking". Or the Mario games on the Wii as being milked. Sure there were a lot of them, but Mario Galaxy was vastly different from Paper Mario which was vastly different than New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Assassin't Creed was not vastly different from each other, especially AssCreed 2 and Brotherhood (I haven't played Revelations yet as I haven't found it on a good Steam sale that coincided with me having the disposable income).

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things here, so don't shoot the messenger. But I for one would have liked to see them release another Kid Icarus game with better controls. It would have been an opportunity for them to fix the few things wrong with first 3DS title. But I also understand what they mean. The sad part is that they rely on novelty to push the game rather than it just being good. The funny part of that for me is that it was genuinely a good game and I didn't feel it was the novel. The controls were "novel" if you want to call them that I suppose.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Lovely Mixture said:
Aiddon said:
Milking does not mean "actually making sequels to something that's successful." Actually look up the definition before parroting Yahtzee
This is the second time I've seen this. He didn't even mention Yahtzee.

And to some people, that's EXACTLY what milking means, even if it is merely one sequel.
And those people would be wrong and a little stupid if I were to be blunt. *sigh*, but I guess there's no use in getting worked up over it. I've come to expect this thought process nowadays.

AAANYWAYYY, good on Sakurai. I've been growing a healthy respect for the guy for years and this continues to aid it. If he's got nothing he feels is fresh enough for the franchise to continue with another game, then why make another one(Besides the obvious answer: "money")? With any luck for the people that want a sequel, perhaps in the coming years, some ideas will pop into his head and he'll change his mind, but for now, if he feels a sequel will be stale, then he and his crew just shouldn't pursue one.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Baresark said:
I think people are confused on what is meant when they say a series has been "milked". They don't mean the games get an occasional sequel. They mean it gets an annual sequel (to beat a long dead horse, COD).

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things here, so don't shoot the messenger. But I for one would have liked to see them release another Kid Icarus game with better controls. It would have been an opportunity for them to fix the few things wrong with first 3DS title. But I also understand what they mean. The sad part is that they rely on novelty to push the game rather than it just being good. The funny part of that for me is that it was genuinely a good game and I didn't feel it was the novel. The controls were "novel" if you want to call them that I suppose.
This²!

Frankly, I would've loved to see a sequel somewhere down the line of the 3DS's lifespan because of opportunities to fix dem controls and other minor issues, there is a huge amount of untapped lore in the game to make another fun story, a huge opportunity for co-op gaming (with the other angel and whatnot) and expanding the multiplayer with more characters (I'd love to have Magnus in mp but alas, no such luck :C). A sequel in two or three years maybe would be really awesome. Sadly, it's not going to happen :c

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
I bet this is what they said after the first game. But we all know Nintendo have impressive necromantic abilities.