Kid Snorts Ritalin to Maintain Marathon Gaming Session

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
He... snorted Ritalin. Really? Because, you know, you can't pound energy drinks or coffee to stay awake. Actually... you know what? Kid, take a break. I know games are fantastic, but sleep is a lovely thing. Taking a few hours off of a game for sleep won't hurt.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Absolutely pathetic.

Gamers are really unique - in a single month, you don't hear of cinafiles or book-addicts snorting ritalin and ending up hospitalized or dying over it. Really doesn't put things into a good perspective for gamers.

As for the kid, he deserves a good asskicking. Or to have his games taken away. If it gets to the point where you doing drugs to stay up and play more games, then you need to stop. Whats the point of gaming if you're essentially just killing yourself?

And for fucksake, stop doing shit like this. Do they have any idea what they're doing to us in the public eye?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
TheBoulder said:
I want to know how he justified snorting Ritalin.
Honestly, my sympathies are with the kid and his families and all, but come on. Why didnt he just buy some cocaine or do speed? I dont get what advantage he saw in Ritalin over other "uppers". It just sounds weird, someone snorting Ritalin to stay awake.

Just goes to show that legal and illegal drugs are equally harmful, anyway.
Availability. He could get Ritalin, he couldn't get cocaine?

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Gotta love giving kids Ritalin (yeah, I know it wasn't him, but a classmate would likely be his age). Fuck bettering the education system, just stick the little fuckers on pills, that solves everything.

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
Alphakirby said:
TheBoulder said:
Honestly, my sympathies are with the kid and his families and all, but come on. Why didnt he just buy some cocaine or do speed? I dont get what advantage he saw in Ritalin over other "uppers". It just sounds weird, someone snorting Ritalin to stay awake.

I have a great strategy for the kid to stay awake...DRINK SOME FUCKING COFFEE INSTEAD OF SNORTING RITALIN!!!

Like,I don't fucking get it.
Maybe he didn't know how to operate a coffee maker?

I would say he's not so idiotic that he can't make a cup, but then again he snorted ritalin, so it's safe to assume he isn't the brightest kid.

Apr 15, 2009
Stupid people being stupid.
if you want to have a long gaming session how about: start in the morning play till late night remembering to eat every once in a while then sleep, rinse and repeat. Sure you'll lose 8 or so hours of gametime but that's a small sacrifice to make so that you don't have a risk of killing yourself and being awarded a darwin award

ChaosBorne

Jul 24, 2004
well here's hoping natural selection gets another shot at removing his genes from the pool.
though i think it's a save bet he'll make it happen sooner rather than later, i mean seriously, how stupid do you have to be?

i sure wouldn't want to be this kid's parent, ugh.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Greatest Facebook comment on this story:

"So much for natural selection." - James Bacon Heyes

Funny how no one is blaming the doctors who prescribe these drugs to KIDS, the pharmaceutical companies that make them and market the crap out of them, or the FDA that approves them. The Columbine shooters were blamed on everything but the prescription drugs those guys were on. These ADHD drugs are extremely dangerous to begin with. Kids as young as five are being put on seriously mind altering chemicals because they don't want to share their crayons...

JakobBloch

Apr 7, 2008
I feel compelled to say this: This story is not funny. It is not amusing in any way. It is a tragedy. A kid had a terrible accident. Fortunately it did not go any worse then what it did. That does not make it right to laugh at it. It is not unlike laughing at a person getting run over with a car. It may be his own fault for trying to cross a road in rush hour and he may not be seriously injured (lets say he was lucky) but he still got hurt and probably needs a trip to the hospital. Laughing at it is in very poor taste.

And I blame you mister news person. The "Its effect on your gamerscore is currently unknown." crack was in very poor taste.

/End Lecture

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
To everyone who says he should just have drank coffee: Enough coffee for a pickup of that scale has some serious negative - possibly lethal - effects.

Chances are he'd be worse off drinking coffee than snorting Ritalin.

... a nap wouldn't hurt though.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
TheBoulder said:

I knew a girl who couldn't do homework without snorting Ritalin. She was a perfect student who never missed class what so ever and had 4.0. But, she did have a problem with Ritalin snorting.

It's also no illegal and pretty easy to come by.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
do people actually enjoy gaming for long sessions of time?

Even games I love I can't play for more than 2-3 hours straight, what the hell

I jelly

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Well I've been waiting to use this, and now I'm happy to have a reason to.

Seriously, the stupidity level is astounding. When I was 15 I wouldn't even consider something so idiotic. If I had done something stupid like this and survived, my mother would have murdered me.

And it's not like you get an energy burst from Ritalin. I had that bull crap forced on me as a kid, and it turned me into a zombie.

ChaosBorne

Jul 24, 2004
JakobBloch said:
I feel compelled to say this: This story is not funny. It is not amusing in any way. It is a tragedy. A kid had a terrible accident. Fortunately it did not go any worse then what it did. That does not make it right to laugh at it. It is not unlike laughing at a person getting run over with a car. It may be his own fault for trying to cross a road in rush hour and he may not be seriously injured (lets say he was lucky) but he still got hurt and probably needs a trip to the hospital. Laughing at it is in very poor taste.

And I blame you mister news person. The "Its effect on your gamerscore is currently unknown." crack was in very poor taste.

/End Lecture
i'm sorry but i'll have to correct you on a couple of things, first it wasn't a freaking accident, he snorted ritalin on purpose, he might not have been aware of the dangerous concequences but he was still abusing a controlled substance on purpose, so no accident.
(accidents are when you do something unintended, not when your purposeful action has negative results)

secondly the joke from the article was freaking hilarious.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Rawne1980 said:
CrystalShadow said:
Rawne1980 said:
I hope the kids alright but I hope his dad gives him a clout for being a numpty ..... and bans him from using a biro again. Give the kid a pencil and all will be well .... as long as he doesn't try eating the lead .... sod it, give him non-toxic crayons.
Eh. Pencil 'lead' is graphite. That's not exactly toxic.
Conducts electricity quite well though...
How dare you foil my case with logic ..... curse you.
Oops. Sorry. Bad habit of mine.

I try very hard not to be logical, but it's reflexive. XD