Kid Snorts Ritalin to Maintain Marathon Gaming Session

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Liquid Paradox said:
Methylphenidate is not a Narcotic, it is a stimulant.

Just saying.
You can also use the term "narcotic" to describe a prohibited drug or a government controlled one that is abused.

Liquid Paradox

Jul 19, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Liquid Paradox said:

Just saying.
You can also use the term "narcotic" to describe a prohibited drug or a government controlled one that is abused.
Narcotic is a word which seems to be almost universally misused, as though it relates to any illicit drug. In fact, a "Narcotic" is an opiate analgesic, or a pain killer.

Also... Sorry that that turned out kind of trollish... sometimes I hit enter before i really look over my post, and end up looking like an asshole.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Liquid Paradox said:
Grey Carter said:
Liquid Paradox said:

Just saying.
Narcotic is a word which seems to be almost universally misused, as though it relates to any illicit drug. In fact, a "Narcotic" is an opiate analgesic, or a pain killer.

Also... Sorry that that turned out kind of trollish... sometimes I hit enter before i really look over my post, and end up looking like an asshole.
It's the legal definition. Seriously, man. It's a legitimate use.

Liquid Paradox

Jul 19, 2009
Grey Carter said:
It's the legal definition. Seriously, man. It's a legitimate use.
Well, I looked it up, and all I have to say is this; There's nothing better then saying something to make yourself look smart, just to be wrong. I'm going to go sit in a corner and think about all my choices in life.

Stupid Legal mumble mumble...

NeonWraith

Nov 25, 2008
ejb626 said:
The funny thing is I've been prescribed Ritalin and in my time taking it I don't remember ever getting any sort of energy boost. Seriously this kid should've gone for coffee or a Red Bull or something.
It's not an energy boost. It increases focus and concentration.

Rensenhito

Jan 28, 2009
I've actually heard of snorting Ritalin to stay awake before. It's not unheard of in college around exam time.
ejb626 said:
The funny thing is I've been prescribed Ritalin and in my time taking it I don't remember ever getting any sort of energy boost. Seriously this kid should've gone for coffee or a Red Bull or something.
Well, there are two very simple reasons for that:
1. You take the medication to normalize your attention span, not to over-correct.
2. Snorting a drug makes it MUCH more potent. Also, the effects depend on the amount.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
Rensenhito said:
I've actually heard of snorting Ritalin to stay awake before. It's not unheard of in college around exam time.
ejb626 said:
Well, there are two very simple reasons for that:
1. You take the medication to normalize your attention span, not to over-correct.
2. Snorting a drug makes it MUCH more potent. Also, the effects depend on the amount.
Well I've since been taken off it but you'd be right in that first one. And yeah, I wondered why the kid didn't just pop the pills and figured that snorting gives a more instant effect and lasting effect.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
Alphakirby said:
AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAHHAHA!!!!!!

...BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

...wait,he could've died.
Well shit,now I feel bad for laughing.
I hope he learns that that was a fucking bad idea.
(and that he doesn't make a worse mistake)

P.S. I need to read the whole topic more often.
Local there was some teens who put tampons up their butts soaked in liqueur. You see you get drunker faster. You also die of alcohol poisoning right quick. There were no survivors. Now that's something horrible you can laugh at. This is just a sad story of a life long addict starting early.

Samoftherocks

Oct 4, 2008
I'm seeing some similarities between this kid and those who take steroids. Taking a drug to increase ones ability to play at sport/game, regardless of the perceived long-term benefit, only increases the potential long-term repercussions. Even a lesser alternative like caffeine has long-lasting effects if abused. Caffeine taken regularly and in large quantities (caffeine heavy energy drinks or sodas) ups the possibilities of serious withdrawal headaches. Even long-term, caffeine is a diuretic that after a lifetime of over use can suck calcium from your bones, creating serious potential issues later in life.

Bottom line, when you're done gaming, turn it off. It'll always be there in the morning...

Here's a few of links on caffeine and it's effects:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1182710-overview
http://www.negativeeffectsofcaffeine.net/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/97493-caffeine-longterm-effects/

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Ah shit my school is going to use this as an excuse to bad-mouth video games.