Kill Stealing

Meatspinner

Feb 4, 2011
Apple and Oranges my friend. In tribes it doesn't matter who gets the kill. In LoL it can cost you the game.

It's generally a dick move but not always though. There are plenty of times where ego and entitlement comes into play (on both sides mind you)

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
Bah, people who complain about Kill stealing in a team based game shouldn't play team based games. So I think Tribes has a generally nicer community, seeing people don't care as much about kdr etc.

Meatspinner

Feb 4, 2011
Angry Juju said:
MrHero17 said:
Well in LoL and other Mobas whoever gets the kill gets more gold so obvious your Ad is going to be annoyed if the support has 5 kills while he has 5 assist. Better that someone get the kill than no one though.
That's partially true... there are circumstances where it's better to give the kill to the support, as usually the support is behind everyone else, which means they'll gain more of a benefit if they got the kill.

Also, supports can use kills just as well as the damage dealers. Support items are awesomely useful.

OT: I honestly don't care about kill steals, I don't play Call of Duty however if a team mate KS's me in League of Legends or DotA 2 the most i'll do is jokingly say "OMFG KS NOOB QQ QQ QQ". I still get assist gold and the opponent still loses gold (in DotA 2).

However when a team mate waits for you to die, THEN takes the kill... that's a different story (especially when they lose you the game because of it)
A support only needs assists and "gold per minute" items to keep up.

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
RustlessPotato said:
Bah, people who complain about Kill stealing in a team based game shouldn't play team based games. So I think Tribes has a generally nicer community, seeing people don't care as much about kdr etc.
It's hard to keep up with kdr ratio when they don't post the deaths on the scoreboard

Dagda Mor

Jun 23, 2011
I've been playing Mass Effect 3's multiplayer quite a bit recently, and it's kind of hard to hold a grudge for kill stealing on it unless someone's just trying to piss you off, considering you get pretty much the same rewards throughout the team as long as you win. The gameplay really breeds camaraderie and forgiveness, but it does really suffer from a lack of ways to communicate, so my teammates don't often understand that when I fire my blades into something, it explodes a couple seconds later, so I often get my targets sniped right before their giblets fly everywhere.

Fuhrlock

Apr 1, 2012
The only time KS bother me is in LoL where one character will clearly benefit more from the the kill compared to the person who took the kill. I accept sometimes damage can be spikey/unpredictable or an enemy may be close to escaping and some-one takes the kill out of desperation as a perfectly understandable reasons for a KS. My problem basically occurs when the target will clearly die to a more valuable champion but instead some-one takes it despite the fact they already have the assist tagged on it. End of the day some champions can work fine off base values and more simple items while carries need to accumilate gold, so purposely KS from them (especially if it persists) may only serve to shoot the team in the foot.

Btw this isn't a personal grudge, quite the oposite I mostly play supports so I'm making an active effort to not KS and get my lane partner as fed as possible. Of course it doesn't always work out that I get no kills, but I don't go out of my way to land the last hit.

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
Berenzen said:
RustlessPotato said:
It's hard to keep up with kdr ratio when they don't post the deaths on the scoreboard
That is true. I haven't played it yet, but a friend of mine has and he said it was more team based. I don't really know if it's true, but generally i think people shouldn't complain about things like "kill steal" in a team based game :p

unbreakable212

Feb 4, 2012
Skratt said:
An example of this was in WoW, a friend and I intentionally trained and worked through about 10-15 baddies at once just to see if we could do it. The combat was close but we looked like we were going to win with the end in sight until some douche-bag decided he would help. He ran in to help like a noble paladin on a white horse to save us. He stood there waiting for a thank you, that I sure wasn't going to give him and then said "what, no thank you?". The conversation degenerated after that.
See if I saw that situation, two players against other players or NPCs heavily outnumbered, I would also help just because if they are fighting against a group of NPC's and unsure if they're going to beat them, I'd help because i'd think they didn't intentionally aggro so many mobs. If it was them versus a number of other players, i'd just see that as a ganking attempt and i'd try to help out regardless, maybe thats just me.

OT: I don't care about Kill-stealing, as long as the enemy is dead, better for our team. Only gripe was when playing Gears of War when in execution, me and a teammate versus one enemy, I down the enemy, running towards him to collect my kill and my teammate runs up and executes him, feels a bit of a douche move.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
The only time I get pissed of about "Kill stealing" is when I've done most of the work and then someone else just comes along, fires one shot and gets the kill.

I was playing Battlefield 3 the other day and I'd fired 3 or 4 rockets into a tank and it still hadn't exploded, while I reloading my SMAW a squadmate spawned on me, fired one rocket into the tank and got the points for "vehicle destroyed" as well as the three kills for all the guys inside whereas I only got the assist.

Meatspinner

Feb 4, 2011
Angry Juju said:
Chertan said:
Angry Juju said:
MrHero17 said:
Well in LoL and other Mobas whoever gets the kill gets more gold so obvious your Ad is going to be annoyed if the support has 5 kills while he has 5 assist. Better that someone get the kill than no one though.
That's partially true... there are circumstances where it's better to give the kill to the support, as usually the support is behind everyone else, which means they'll gain more of a benefit if they got the kill.

Also, supports can use kills just as well as the damage dealers. Support items are awesomely useful.

OT: I honestly don't care about kill steals, I don't play Call of Duty however if a team mate KS's me in League of Legends or DotA 2 the most i'll do is jokingly say "OMFG KS NOOB QQ QQ QQ". I still get assist gold and the opponent still loses gold (in DotA 2).

However when a team mate waits for you to die, THEN takes the kill... that's a different story (especially when they lose you the game because of it)
A support only needs assists and "gold per minute" items to keep up.
You can also argue that a carry only needs assists and last hits to carry.

With the new kill gold system, it can be more profitable for the assist to take the kill rather than the carry. however if the kill isn't certain then just let anyone take it :/...

But really.. there is zero harm in an assist getting kills... support items can make you near invincible.
Ok you do that. Keep denying your carries items and screwing your team over so you can feel good about your own build.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
If you give people a hard time for "stealing kills", all you're going to do is make it so the next time you need help with a kill, that person that you gave a hard time, will, if they care at all, lay off, try to let you have your precious kill, and you'll probably fuck it up.

I'd rather all of the players on my team be sharks. Sure, there's strategy involved in LoL, for things like Carry's needing gold, but really, it's better for the support to know that they CAN get in there and help secure a kill. The difference between an assist and a kill is 150 gold, which is both a lot, and not very much. 150 gold goes further on a Carry, but it doesn't completely go to waste on a Support - they need to buy Wards, as well as other things.

The point is, don't worry about it so much. Be happy that you're on a team with tenacious people that want nothing more then to stomp the hell out of their opponent.

I can't speak for Tribes, but seriously, life is far too short to cry about KS'ing in general. In LoL, death is so much more painful to a team then any one kill. Having a team mate down hurts the opposing team far worse then it bolstered anyone in your team. Just be glad one of them is dead, hopefully without losing one of your guys. They send your support to the hospital, you send their jungler to the morgue.

It's a gut human reaction to feel that something was stolen from you when someone kills your target, but you need to get past that. Only the noobs really complain about KS'ing. Pros will pick a kill apart, see how it could have served their team better, but I don't think many of them would be like "that guy totally stole that guy's kill". It's a team game, and things can be done better, but live together, die alone.

and that's a lot of allusions. I think I need sleep.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
unbreakable212 said:
Skratt said:
An example of this was in WoW, a friend and I intentionally trained and worked through about 10-15 baddies at once just to see if we could do it. The combat was close but we looked like we were going to win with the end in sight until some douche-bag decided he would help. He ran in to help like a noble paladin on a white horse to save us. He stood there waiting for a thank you, that I sure wasn't going to give him and then said "what, no thank you?". The conversation degenerated after that.
See if I saw that situation, two players against other players or NPCs heavily outnumbered, I would also help just because if they are fighting against a group of NPC's and unsure if they're going to beat them, I'd help because i'd think they didn't intentionally aggro so many mobs. If it was them versus a number of other players, i'd just see that as a ganking attempt and i'd try to help out regardless, maybe thats just me.

OT: I don't care about Kill-stealing, as long as the enemy is dead, better for our team. Only gripe was when playing Gears of War when in execution, me and a teammate versus one enemy, I down the enemy, running towards him to collect my kill and my teammate runs up and executes him, feels a bit of a douche move.
I see the situation where you feel it is your kill and mine in WoW as the same. It's all context and just being polite. You aren't expected to run around saving every pleb that gets into a bit of trouble (or appears to be) and reciprocally not expect people run to YOUR rescue. Had that happen too, some guy tells me "thanks for not saving me, dick". He never said he needed help - and in the context of it's a video game - he might have been doing just fine. If it was real life, I may have stepped in to help. It's all about underdeveloped (or undeveloped as the case may be) social skills.

Obviously a team based FPS is going to play different than an open world PVE MMO, but the rule is generally the same - try to be a bit mindful of the people around you. Just because someone thinks they are being helpful doesn't mean they are. That guy that stole your execution probably thought either he had every right to execute because "he was the enemy and dead is dead" and he was "helping the team" and probably enjoyed performing the execution himself without giving any thought to you.

Bottom line, kill stealing sucks and is generally a dick move - even if you pretense it with "but I was helping".

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Chertan said:
Ok you do that. Keep denying your carries items and screwing your team over so you can feel good about your own build.
Why am I getting this "A support is supposed to be my ward b!tch and manservant while I'm out there taking all the glory" vibe from this?

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
The problem I have with kill stealing is that in a game like COD you receive rewards for your killstreaks and since trying to get several kills in o e life is pretty difficult and you don't want to waste your ammo just to get an assisst and not get closer to reaching your reward.

Meatspinner

Feb 4, 2011
Vegosiux said:
Chertan said:
Why am I getting this "A support is supposed to be my ward b!tch and manservant while I'm out there taking all the glory" vibe from this?
I just want to point out that I am speaking as a tanky-support (Taric, Leona & Nautilus) player and it breaks my heart every time when i see a gloryhound playing as support.

No, you are not a manservant b!tch that shits wards all over the map. You are the tide of blood rushing through your team's c*ck as you collectively surprise buttseks the other team to submission

IamGamer41

Mar 19, 2010
The Unworthy Gentleman said:
Mr Pantomime said:
Does this example show that the Tribes Ascend community are just better people than COD and LOL communities, or is it the game's mechanics and scoring system which cause people to act nicer.
I've never had a guy give me a bollocking for 'kill stealing,' nobody on Call of Duty has ever done that to me. I think you're actually just giving everyone in Call of Duty and League of Legends a hard time for the actions of random individuals, though I can't speak too much for the LoL community.

The Call of Duty community is just more isolated and individual focused, there's rarely any actual assholes, it's just blown out of proportion how bad it is.

What this guy said.I don't see how someone can Kill steal in CoD.I mean a sniper gets pissed because you knifed a guy before he shot him for a mile away? Anyone who bitches about kill stealing in Call of Duty needs to have their brains checked with a chainsaw.