Kindness of America Author Shot Himself for PR

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010

What if shooting himself in the arm was his plan the whole time? What if he's really The Joker, and this is his way of convincing us that we're all animals?

Seriously, though. It's like the book was the setup for a huge joke. "Man who was researching the kindness of America experiences its cruelty firsthand."

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
Well using that reportedly innocent man as a means to an end is a terrible act of immorality and this author should have some charge brought against him if it is actually true: perverting the course of justice perhaps.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Scumbag violated the safety rules. If he hit an artery and bled to death, he had it coming.

Really speaks a lot about his character for being an irresponsible gun owner. No more Second Amendment for him, I hope.

oldtaku said:
Well, it's very American of him. Very strong work ethic here.
Because people around the world don't do the same.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
sir.rutthed said:
Binnsyboy said:
sir.rutthed said:
Damnit. If you can't count on Americans shooting random strangers, what can you count on these days?!
Dry British wit.

OT: I don't think it's a question of if he's in the shit for doing this. Wasting police time is a crime. It's a case of severity of punishment.
Joke's on you, commie! I'M AMERICAN!!!

I think, being British himself, he was more referring to that as something you can count on these days.

OT: I still think this article is rather ironic. Man writing a book titled "The Kindness of America" shoots himself in the arm, and frames another person causing him to be arrested, and then reveals it was all an elaborate hoax. There's so many levels of irony in here that it's just impossible to take it all in at once.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
LJJ1991 said:
This guy was willing to send an innocent man to jail, perhaps even for years, in order to promote his own book?

This guy is evil.
I actually think he rather wasn't. He probably thought they wouldn't find anybody, because there was nobody to catch. He revealed himself as a fraud, presumably so that nobody went to jail.

Magikarp

Jan 26, 2011
Or maybe he was actually shot & is so nice that he's trying to get the shooter of the hook?
I wish I could believe that...

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
Why is someone writing a book on the "Kindness of America" carrying a gun in the first place?

Isn't the whole point to bank on the kindness of the American citizenry? Seems like carrying a gun means you don't have a lot of faith in your authorial premise.

Guns are not the kindness of America, guns are final option and Constitutional birthright of Americans, when all potential attempts at civility, diplomacy and non-violent protest have failed.

This guy doesn't sound like he knows much about America. Much less anything else.

(Yes, we're always just chomping at the bit over here to find another harbor to throw a bunch of tea in.)

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
ladies and gentlemen, i give you: writers across america! featuring guest star, national facepalm!

this is why we can't have nice things.

Urameshi13

Jan 18, 2011
I said this regarding the original story:
Urameshi13 said:
This, ladies and gentlemen, is why one should never ever EVER hitchhike...
And now that more details have come to light, I will add this: never ever TRUST a hitchhiker.

May 5, 2010
Seriously? Did this guy escape from a Law and Order episode or something? I'm thinking it's just a matter of time until, in a shocking plot twist, it turns out he WAS shot, by HIS OWN BROTHER, and he lied about it because his brother has Down Syndrome and he didn't want to put him through the media attention.

I could totally write for Law and Order.

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
i can think of several potential charges for this waste of human space

did he file a police report? false report
is he licensed and registered to own a gun in that state? if no then he should be charged with that
and i somehow doubt that he used proper caution when discharging the fire arm, so add reckless discharge and some negligence as well

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
marurder said:
Media is gonna tear this guy apart.
Well, he was seeking attention, and now he has it.
Only instead of an ironic victim, he's a manipulative asshole.

ON TOPIC:
I thought the original story was part-and-parcel for the sensationalist bullshit that passes for News or Journalism these days. Figured it was marginally plausible, but inconclusive, and I wasn't invested enough in it to care beyond that.

So the only commentary I have on the matter:
As vile as his scheme was, at least he admitted to it before an innocent man went to jail for his profit, and that we didn't learn about this through legal channels weeks or months down the line.

The worst that could happen to him (besides jail time) is for his book to fail.
Make it so.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Best of the 3 said:
Is writing a book about the kindness of America.
Sends an innocent man to jail.

What was that about kindness?
Yeah, I can see it now:

"Mister Dolin, you're under arrest for conspiracy and fraud.
- But - officers, don't arrest me, please! I'm putting together a book about the kindness of America, and if you prosecute me, well, that'll be unkind of you! What you should do to show the world that we're all nice folks is let me go! I'll just... Frolic through the open field right over there and hug the first disabled child I see! Kindness!
- Um... No. We're still arresting you.
- But - But - Kindness! LOVE AND FREE HUGS, I TELL YOU! LOVE AND FREE HUGS!"

I suppose prison will introduce him to a less, erm, *kind* form of kindness. A man sure does get lonely in the iron hotel...

Coles_Law

Jul 13, 2009
The driver (who, by the way, should certainly get punished for drunk driving) has a good civil suit here. They should award Danielson all the royalties from this joker's book.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
*sips tea* Hm. I don't know what's more sad, the man shooting himself in the arm in a desperate attempt for attention, or the fact that it actually worked. Dear lord. He's a genius. And a complete asshole. Alright humanity, I'm done with you for today.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
There's still some irony on display here, in that a guy writing about called "The Kindness of America" framed some guy for shooting him to get attention for his book.