Kinect Causes Trouble for Viewers During Xbox One Reveal

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
It is not just about griefing, it is also about socializing. Imagine you're sitting on your couch with some friends and play but one wrong word might shut down the console (or just tab out with the new tabbing stuff they are so proud of). So all you could do is play the game without talking about stuff. And of course people will want to talk about the game, the new console, the old console or just completely unrelated stuff that might be misinterpreted by the box.

If something wrong is said while the box is in standby, the people around it might not even notice it. Especially with the skype support they're so proud of...

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
well good to see the public is becoming aware of why the kinect is a bad idea no matter how good the technology gets. control works better when you can actually control it: some asshole little brother might try to reach over and press some buttons, but for the most part you have complete control over a controller, and more importantly your hands; voice and limbs far less so. no matter how precise voice and motion sensors get, humans are still going to shout and gesture as a reaction and potentially fuck up their game, or anyone in the background can do the same.

as little thought and action should go into controlling a game as possible. that is the goal of the kinect yet it ironically achieves the opposite. moving around to mimic a screen and yelling are unnatural and disconnecting experiences, but pressing buttons and keys is thoughtless and instinctive because our hands and fingers are made to have a whole range of precise motion that is natural to use; however precise the kinect is at reading motion and voice, our fingers are much more precise at reading our minds.

tl;dr: action flows from thought, not from another less controlled action, and thus is the critical conceptual flaw of the kinect no matter how accurate it gets.

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
Every new news story on this thing is making it sound like the evil doomsday device in a low budget sci-fi movie...

Maybe a week after release when they can tell from the always on DRM that the majority of users are online they can issue the command to activate the skynet esque system and start causing some havoc.

UnnDunn

Aug 15, 2006
The people experiencing problems should perform the audio calibration routine. This lets Kinect take an audio profile of the room, identifying where all the speakers are. Kinect is designed to ignore audio coming out of the speakers.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So there we have it, the new form of griefing will be for losing teams to suddenly yell XBOX OFF! into their headset and hope someone has voice set to speakers not headphones.

Looks like early adopter will be well and truly Xboned.

wulfgar_red

Mar 15, 2013
Since we know that "Microsoft listens in to your Skype", having always on Kinect in home is kinda scary perspective. I'll stay away from this "One", thank you.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
"John, if you don't save and quit right now I will come over there and turn your Xbox off!"

*xbox powers down*
*kid loses all progress*
*kid learns to obey their parent*

...*kid throws a tantrum first*

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Man, there's so much else bad about the xbox one that I almost forgot the forced kinect.

yeah, that's also a really bad idea. Especially considering the space kinect requires to work even partially.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Why is it that they didn't realize this could be a problem? They built the new kinect off of the older model, so all the voice commands they were going to spout are likely commands on the original console. The device isn't going to differentiate a sound from a Television show from a sound a human makes unless it is monitoring and comparing information from the TV programming or game. Microsoft needs to voice lock the commands, or at least give an option to do so.

That's assuming someone is actually going to buy it to begin with.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
It's like a Sci-Fi short story from the 1970s!
Robots confusing media with reality!
How long until security robots arrest people for playing the CoD Multiplayer and killing real people?

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
And this is just one reason why voice commands for computers is a bad idea.

The fact it can pick up some random guy saying "xbox" is pretty bloody impressive considering how poor my track record of getting speech-recognition software to write what I say has been.

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
we use these at work
http://www.intermec.com/vocollect/

and they respond really baddly to accents, so i want to see if this countinues the US only theme it has going, where it only reponds to american accents

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Good thing no-one shouted "bugger me!" during the announcement, or kinect owners would've been in for a real surprise.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Jove said:
Yeah but if say that person was losing in the match, instead of just him rage quitting, he could just shout out xbox off and everybody has to suffer because of his loss.

Ah but here is the kicker, what if Microsoft decides to not include any headsets in the new Xbox? What if they decided to just use the kinect as the microphone!? Come on, even I admit it's possible and they might be stupid enough to do that lol.
Shush! They already outsourced most of this console's development to EA's "Things That Will Piss Our Consumer Base Off" department (that has to by why they made so many bad decisions, it's the only explanation!), they don't need you giving them any MORE bad ideas!

Jove said:
Ugn, i just find this whole thing so stupid and disappointing. I mean WTF happened to them?

When it came to consoles, i was always for Xbox mostly because of better online service and better third party titles, but ever since that god awful Xbox One conference, I made a complete 180 and now eager to hear more about the PS4 instead.

Microsoft had a chance a few days ago to completely take over the competition against Sony and Nintendo. All they had to do was...DON'T FUCK UP! Have all the stupid negative rumors about e latest Xbox be false, have a similar Sony conference by showing the games, show the actual console (which they did), and make sure you put an emphasis that the system is all about e games, which it is. THATS ALL THEY HAD TO DO! The result was...well everything that could have went wrong, went wrong and more. It was a bigger disaster than PS3 2006 conference. Yes, it was even worse than that.
:p That's exactly what I'm talking about. The rumors were one thing, but they somehow managed to make a console that was even worse than the rumors. My console progression went PS2, Xbox 360, and apparently now - if I even bother with this next generation - I'll be heading back over to Sony. I mean mandatory thing-no-one-ever-wanted-ever (Kinect), the unbridled destruction of the rental and used game markets, no backwards compatibility, a system that treats games as an "oh yeah, it can also play those if you REALLY want to..." type of thing, and apparently due to the mandatory Kinect, any jackass (or even yourself, accidentally) can just up and turn off the system.

Like I said, it's as though they outsourced a big part of the console's development to EA and said "You guys seem pretty good at pissing off your base by stuffing things they don't want down their throat...help us out here!"

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
A good way to make this irrelevant is to make it so the user can create/modify the commands. Not quite to voice recognition. But to a point where words could be understood.

Power off = flaming donkey dick <- I doubt anyone would say that (in a recognizable manner) to grief a player to DC. It's an extreme, but it gets the point across. Of course, Microsoft hasn't thought of doing that.