Kinect Helps Father Play With Autistic Son

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Words escape me after reading this. Tears did, indeed, well up. And coming from a cynical bastard like me, that says something.

Daniel Laeben-Rosen

Jun 9, 2010
See things like that just warms my heart...
And it does make sense that it'd be perfect for anyone with a more severe form of autism(wide field that), as shapes, colours and sounds are easier for them to identify and comprehend, while more abstract notions like "wiggle that stick while pressing those two buttons to make your character do this" is usually harder.
That's what my own experience and studies have taught me at least.

guntotingtomcat

Jun 29, 2010
Yeah, my brother has autism and he's been playing with play stations forever. He is an absolute expert on ratchet and clank, often not an easy game.

Realistically, because autism doesn't effect the ability to use controllers, I think it was because his son was young and unfamiliar with consoles that he struggled initially.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
Vaccine said:
Score one videogames.

Take that you pissy old people and grumpy politicians.
^ This man, it is the reason we all love the medium so much, it creates moments for people in so many different ways, whether it be having a shared moment of fun with a child or intense rivalries with friends on a couch, it is the best form of media, bar none

guntotingtomcat

Jun 29, 2010
Daniel Laeben-Rosen said:
And it does make sense that it'd be perfect for anyone with a more severe form of autism(wide field that), as shapes, colours and sounds are easier for them to identify and comprehend, while more abstract notions like "wiggle that stick while pressing those two buttons to make your character do this" is usually harder.
Wrong. It's not because autistic kids have difficulty with controllers. The difficulty is that they get bored very easily and lack the patience to learn an unfamiliar system.
In short, autism doesn't = stupidity. They comprehend the controls just as well, if not better, than someone who isn't on the spectrum. The problem is learning NEW controls, particularly with someone new to games, isn't fun. Motion controls remove the initial barrier.

GodsAndFishes

Mar 22, 2009
This is the only possible reason for me to get as kinect, as my sister is autistic as well, so hopefully this'll allow her to properly play games.

guntotingtomcat

Jun 29, 2010
Nouw said:
Score 1 for Kinect. Awesome story, as awesome as the naked dancing thing.
Sorry, this is irrelevant to the thread, but you're avatar just made a really bored young man (with a late essay to write) injure himself laughing.
Whoever you may be, cheers.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
EmileeElectro said:
Awww, bless them.
I hope Russell Howard puts this on his show, put video games in a nice light for once.
I just recommended it to him for the nice story at the end of the show

Daniel Laeben-Rosen

Jun 9, 2010
brainless_fps_player said:
Wrong. It's not because autistic kids have difficulty with controllers. The difficulty is that they get bored very easily and lack the patience to learn an unfamiliar system.
In short, autism doesn't = stupidity. They comprehend the controls just as well, if not better, than someone who isn't on the spectrum. The problem is learning NEW controls, particularly with someone new to games, isn't fun. Motion controls remove the initial barrier.
I'm sorry, when did I say autism = stupidity? If that's what you read you read way too much into it.
People with more severe autisms like the one described usually do have problems understanding directions, simply because they have a lack of communication-skills. The controllers themselves aren't the problem(even if modern controllers are needlesly complex), the problem is that people like the child described in the article simply lack the capacity to understand the instructions given. It doesn't make them stupid, it's just that it's very hard for them. There are quite a few cases where the autism is severe enough that the child never learns to speak or even have problems learning to use the bathroom.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Microsoft, i never though I'd say this but...

http://freeinternetcookies.com/cookie/cookie.jpg

You've earned it

skeanthu

Nov 16, 2007
Eventually all forms of education will become interactive with these types of electronics; and I for one applaud this father for finding a connection.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Tipsy Giant said:
EmileeElectro said:
Awww, bless them.
I hope Russell Howard puts this on his show, put video games in a nice light for once.
Good good. If we all do it, maybe he will ;D

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
EmileeElectro said:
Tipsy Giant said:
EmileeElectro said:
Awww, bless them.
Good good. If we all do it, maybe he will ;D
We should try and get all of the escapists UKers to send him a tweet @BBCGOODNEWS with the url in

guntotingtomcat

Jun 29, 2010
brainless_fps_player said:
I'm sorry, when did I say autism = stupidity? If that's what you read you read way too much into it.
People with more severe autisms like the one described usually do have problems understanding directions, simply because they have a lack of communication-skills. The controllers themselves aren't the problem(even if modern controllers are needlesly complex), the problem is that people like the child described in the article simply lack the capacity to understand the instructions given. It doesn't make them stupid, it's just that it's very hard for them. There are quite a few cases where the autism is severe enough that the child never learns to speak or even have problems learning to use the bathroom.
My apologies, I assumed when you said "difficulty understanding" you meant "dumb". I also apologise for the inflammatory and dickish use of the word 'wrong' in my previous post. I would say, though, that I used to work with autistic kids and pretty much all of them played video games with no difficulty whatsoever. One even played sudoku on a DS, though he was relatively "high functioning". It's the method of introduction that's the problem.
As you said, "wiggle that stick while pressing those two buttons to make your character do this" is confusing, even if the child hears it, but a better method is physical demonstration, i.e. showing them the buttons and helping them press them etc. Once they become interested, the understanding follows quickly.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
See I told everyone motion controls weren't stupid. Who's laughing now?!
Naw just kidding. This made me really glad. It just prooves that video games can pull a family together as well as anything else.