Kinect Helps Father Play With Autistic Son

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
While it's a cool and heartwarming story (huh... That's a paradox, isn't it?), I'm starting to get sick from all those 'Kinect this, Kinect that' news. What's next? Kinect can cure cancer?

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
RowdyRodimus said:
Maybe it has less to do with his son being Autistic and more to the fact that he is four years old. Don't get me wrong, I think it's cool that he can see his son have fun with video games, but at the same time I feel that blaming autism on him not being able to use a 360 controller is a bit much considering most four year olds can't even hold a baseball bat the right way. Autism, giving us a built in excuse since 1996.
I'm 19 and I can't dual analogue for shit. Some people got it some don't, and it can take years to develop into intuitiveness. Motion controls do surpass the learning curves, that's for sure.

I'll stick to mouse and keyboard though.

Red Albatross

Jun 11, 2009
There's just some dust or something in my eye, I swear...

Great feel good story. I know it's already been said, but next time some stuffy jerk that got a tree fired up his or her ass so hard that it catapulted them back to the Victorian era bashes video games, we can show them this.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
That's a really awesome story to hear. I think that schools could learn a lesson from this tale and begin to implement more interactive mediums to help reach out to all children in the classroom at an early age. What is great about this story is that also shows just how impacting a parent's role is in their child's life and development. Even in the face of obstructions and challenging odd, pursuing different means can turn hope into a reality and bring about a beautiful reward.

Imp Poster said:
Nice, this negates the other story where the dad elbows his son while playing kinect together.
Unfortunately, though, it doesn't: While Kinect (and given testing, likely most motion or even touch based inputs) shows that it can touch lives by helping those with different learning and interacting needs, there is still the large majority of people who will be doing more than just elbowing one another in the face! In this accident/stupidity prone society, legions more will follow Elbow-Dad. And with alcohol inevitably being introduced to many innocent situations, I shudder to think of what shenanigans will follow...

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
That's great. This is the sort of thing that'll make any Grinch's heart grow three sizes.

Hat's off to Microsoft on this one.

Still have no interest in buy Kinect, however.

The Bum

Mar 14, 2010
This story warmed my icy, black heat. I needed that. I never thought I'd say this, but thank you microsoft

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
As much as I will not get Kinect, this is a sweet story so I'll forgive the Kinect's existence

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Vaccine said:
Score one videogames.

Take that you pissy old people and grumpy politicians.
Score one for Kinect.

Take that haters.

Seriously, people keep hating on the whole idea of motion control gaming, but this whole situation proves that it is actually easier to use, and easier to get the hang of, than traditional controllers. If even an autistic child can use it flawlessly, then it must be doing something right, which is better than the Wii ever did (and for the record,, I do enjoy playing on the Wii, my mother has one and I love playing Wii Sports on it when I visit home...).

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Tipsy Giant said:
EmileeElectro said:
Tipsy Giant said:
EmileeElectro said:
Awww, bless them.
I hope Russell Howard puts this on his show, put video games in a nice light for once.
I just recommended it to him for the nice story at the end of the show
Good good. If we all do it, maybe he will ;D
We should try and get all of the escapists UKers to send him a tweet @BBCGOODNEWS with the url in
Hell, I'll do it. In fact, I am literally opening Twitter in another tab right now and posting this. Anyone who has Twitter, please, for the love of gaming, post this:

@bbcgoodnews Just a thought for the next series... http://tinyurl.com/2cq3hqn #KinectHelpsKids

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Well, if this doesnt bring a warmth of happiness to your hearts, somethings wrong with you. I was more or less uncaring for motion-controllers, and even less so for Kinect, but this has altered my opinion, not by much, but it did alter it.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
In the long-run, Kinect is going to be a commercial failure, that I am preety certain. Nevertheless, it is nice to see that the whole debacle has at least some positive results.

Tasachan

Jan 28, 2010
Awwww.
I bet my kids would love Kinect, too. They really like videogames, but are too young to grasp the controls. (except for the DS.)

DEATHROAD

May 14, 2008
If there is anyone who can still say games are wrong after reading that then they must have the most shrivled, dryed up heart in the world

That story is beautiful..

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
brainless_fps_player said:
Nouw said:
Score 1 for Kinect. Awesome story, as awesome as the naked dancing thing.
Sorry, this is irrelevant to the thread, but you're avatar just made a really bored young man (with a late essay to write) injure himself laughing.
Whoever you may be, cheers.
Can do and thanks. Always love it when someone laughs to my avatar. Good luck on that essay of yours too!

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Kinect, if you were to be incarnated as a human entity, I'd give you a fist bump. That is a very sweet story right there.