Kissing: why is it still a social taboo?

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
It depends if you mean full on snogging, tongues down each others throats. That, I don't like. It makes me feel really uncomfortable and makes me cringe, it always has. Especially when they kiss on TV. SHHLURRRPPP.
Kisses and anything else I don't mind.

Cyberdelic

Mar 20, 2009
wisemithrandir said:
For me personally, I don't like it. Mostly because I'm gay, and if I start to kiss my bf in public, people look at me with disgust, sometimes we receive threats. But some guy and girl can suck each others face off, and its ok. That's my two cents :O
I know that feeling brother. Its just down to cultural norms. But culture doesn't change without brave people instigating the changes, so do what I do and kiss without fear or shame.

I think it annoys me more that gay/black fashion keeps getting stolen for mass marketing, but that's another topic entirely.

Jak2364

Feb 9, 2010
I think it's okay for people to kiss in public, and I would kiss my love in public. I think the reason people don't like others kissing in public is because of jealousy. When I didn't have a girlfriend, and i saw others in love cuddling and kissing, it obviously made me a little angry and jealous that I couldn't share that feeling with someone.

EDIT: Oh, and yeah, like most others have said, when they're about to eat each others faces off it's gone too far.

me.vicky

Jun 23, 2010
OT, I agree. I go to a very conservative religious college, and I can't hold hands with my boyfriend without someone running over and screaming, "Ugh, will you quit with the PDA?" In fact, my roommate sat me down a couple months ago to tell me how uncomfortable we (me and my bf) were making our group of friends with our PDA. But I don't really understand it. I mean, I've never been uncomfortable seeing people kiss and cuddle with their loved ones in public and so I do it myself without really thinking about it. Besides which, both I and my BF enjoy being physically affectionate with each other; touch is our love language.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
Day by day i'm surrounded by people with lower moral standards than me, this has led me to hate mostly everyone including couples that kiss, hug, anything.

I'm sorry, we can't all be happy all the time.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
Kissing's fine (I think it's kinda cute to see a couple kiss, makes me remember humanity is not all the bad), but making out big time stylee is not. Especially when there's sound effects.

My friend got his first girlfriend not too long ago. She's cool and everything, but when we're hanging out, either just me and them or a whole group of friends, they go all sloppy slurpy goo goo and it sounds gross. It gets especially annoying when they invite me round, and then become completely absorbed in one another and I'm left like a lemon in the corner. Bah!

Although I wonder if my opinion would change much if I was in a relationship...

/bitter misanthropic rant

kakaomasse

Jan 27, 2010
i really dont have any problem, even if they eat each other's faces off...its their face after all, and unless they start to crave mine, its fine. my friend tho, she hates people kissing in public, always complains about how people can be so shamelessly annoying:D before you ask, she's in a relationship of 2 and a half years now!

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I don't care what anybody else thinks. If I want to kiss my GF, I will. If she'd let me, I'd do a lot more. I think most people that dislike PDA are alone. Not all of course, but most.

Wildcard5

Jun 27, 2010
Kissing in public is fine. When affection starts to get to the point of making out though, a room (or other suitable private area) should be found. It is just polite to the other people in the area to do so.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I hate it when people make-out. I've had times I was waiting in line at the movies and the couple in front of me and my friends are standing there sucking face and I hate having to interrupt them to tell them they're next.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Wait what? So when I kissed my girlfriend goodbye today I broke a social rule? (technically here in SA I broke a law, but no-one cares).

If it is light kissing to say goodbye/ goodnight and it isn't very conspicuous, then I wasn't aware that it was taboo. But making out in public... there are boundaries damnit! In fact they are written in our laws... once again though people don't care... which really just makes it more funny than awkward.

TheColdHeart

Sep 15, 2008
I've never noticed it as socially unacceptable to kiss someone in public however it can be a bit weird/off-putting/rude if you are say the unfortuante 3rd wheel and you have to find something to be fascinated in whilst they 'make out' for a length of time.

Ranchcroutons

Sep 12, 2010
Yeah I think its really fine. I just hate the prudes who have to ruin everyone's fun. If it doesn't directly harm you then deal with it.

Evangelion_01

Nov 21, 2009
Azure-Supernova said:
I kiss my beloved in public, why shouldn't I?

It's perfectly acceptable. Anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly socially awkward... or a prude...
If someone doesn't agree with you that instantly makes them socially awkward? Stop making generalizations.

eelel

May 29, 2009
GamesB2 said:
It's a social taboo? o_o

People must hate me then...
It is mostly the fundies that find it evil. The reason they don't like me is because I do it with another guy.