Koei Tecmo Confirms No Western Release for Dead or Alive Xtreme 3

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Furnicula said:
These are a few hundred people, most of them part of an insular community of friends in three different cities and they're pretending to speak for millions, nay billions of gamers around the world:
Speaking of millions, nay billions: I'm about to leave for work right now (I'm getting dressed as we type and am going to have to floss while driving), so I don't have time to read links, but how many units of the last Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball game did you say got sold in the West? Something like a million copies, and two and a half million digital copies? How much money does that add up to? Because I must say, if Koei Tecmo is so afraid of a few obvious pundits that they would rather not have that many millions of dollars than risk someone talking bad about their game and hurting their feelings, then Koei Tecmo is an incompetent company, one that in America (though the rules may be different overseas) shareholders would be perfectly within their rights to demand the board of directors be fired for refusing to make them money.

Furnicula said:
Yet gaming companies (especially those not familiar with said activist tactics) are led to believe they are some sort of spokespeople and have something important to say. Why they don't "get heard" is rather simple, because they're not the few hundred people.
And those millions of dollars don't count as vocal support? The picture you paint of Koei Tecmo's decision-makers is frankly not a flattering one, Furnicula. You're effectively accusing them not just of incompetence but of childishness, saying they're too insecure to absorb negative reviews without panicking to the point that they forget to count all the money they made.

Furnicula said:
Your argument simply doesn't make any sense, it's a phantom that you made up to play to your bias and deny the reality of the situation.
My argument doubtlessly doesn't make sense because up to this point, it hasn't been an argument. It has very explicitly been me asking you questions and trying to explain my perspective as to why your assertions are nonsensical to me.

Furnicula said:
My definition of censorship (that a bunch of authoritarian busybodies are throwing a fit because something is "offensive" and they don't want other people to enjoy it) is perfectly in-line with every definition of it you will find.
As I've already said in this thread, Furnicula, words do not have objective meanings. If they did, dictionaries would not include "not literally" as a definition of the word "literally." Instead, they are defined by common use, so pointing out that a dictionary includes the definition you support means nothing to me, since a dictionary only documents, not proscribes. Nothing about saying other people agree with you addresses my complaint that I think you have weakened the word to the point of uselessness, since for this to qualify as censorship, American-enshrined free speech is a form of censorship (pundits publishing their opinions censors poor, innocent companies). I cannot and will not accept that as censorship, and I think if you do hold to that definition, then your complaints about punditry are also a form of censorship, because they might make some poor, innocent pundit feel bad and stop printing his opinions.

Furnicula said:
I still don't know why you keep coming back to Amazon though, since Amazon doesn't have anything to do with this and doesn't even sell DoAX3.
I do because I assumed it could be understood that "Amazon" is allowed to be a representative example of online sellers, such that it would save me the time of typing out the names of each specific outlet.

Furnicula said:
Quite frankly, because as willful as your outrage seems to be, I suspect you are deliberately looking for reasons to be offended, and I wanted to at least make a good faith effort to deny you the chance to do so in order to have a serious, honest conversation.
This is "quite frankly" hilarious, considering you talk about "willful outrage" and "reasons to be offended" given that the group of people you are covering for and defend could as well be called "The Outragers."
In the first place, Furnicula, "I can't be deliberately choosing to be outraged, because you're doing that" is not an argument I can respect. It's very childish. In the second place, I'm not defending anyone, because no one requires my defense. I don't think the accusations you have leveled are valid or even accurate depictions of reality, so even if I held your seeming belief that disagreeing with anyone is a form of censorship, I still would be no more concerned about your accusations than I am about a Birther's.

Furnicula said:
This isn't what the argument is about and you're misrepresenting it, aside from that nobody should have to pay costly import fees because people were offended over digital breasts, no.
I don't concede your premise, but Koei Tecmo seems to disagree with your principles, so go ***** at them about it.

Furnicula said:
Just pointing out all the issues you are seemingly misinformed in, while you echo Jim Sterling.
I have not heard Mr. Sterling provide any systems specs for the game, so I don't know where you're getting his name from.

Furnicula said:
If you get so many things wrong in so few sentences, maybe it would behoove you to rethink if your argument isn't equally flawed?
That's fallacious argumentation, and I think you know it. After all, you accused me of getting information from Jim Sterling when I haven't, so your entire premise is wrong!

Furnicula said:
Oh, but it's as simple as checking Post history to find out otherwise, and see for what team you are batting.
That you think this is about teams rather than individuals with personal tastes that occasionally align is really disheartening. Can you genuinely not comprehend that people can disagree with you without it being an attack on your rights? This compulsive and, frankly, fantastical need to make everything a malicious attack against you is exactly why I read your post(s) as being deliberate in a desire to be outraged, and this line has convinced me I have nothing to gain from talking to you. Keep tilting against your enemies, bro.

I will leave you with one thought, though: Have you written a single word to Koei Tecmo in support of the Volleyball franchise, or have you just spent your time online railing against the censors you perceive? Because given that you have not said one complimentary word about the games themselves, I rather suspect it's the latter; and if I'm right about that, then I urge you to consider that there is a difference between being for the game you like and being against the amorphous mass of your imagined oppressors.

C14N

May 28, 2008
Furnicula said:
There hasn't been any criticism of the game, the game isn't even out yet. Only moralistic sermons about how sexuality is bad combined with character attacks on the developers and their audience and some rhetoric about how a Volleyball-game is going to be harmful to women and set the industry back or something.
Most of the articles in your image are reviews from Dead or Alive Extreme 2 or lists discussing Dead or Alive Extreme 2, which was released and is therefore completely open to criticism. The only ones mentioning Dead or Alive Extreme 3 are reporting on the fact that the western release is already cancelled so it's hard to see how those impacted it in any way. I couldn't spot a single one attacking the developers either. I do see a lot of articles (looks like the majority in fact) from sources that aren't even gaming websites though, which is an indication that the barrel was really being scraped to put this together; although it does give an indication of how the outside world looks upon gamers with stuff like this. Why is a free London tabloid so influential that it managed to make an appearance twice (three times counting the second picture)?

And unless they've changed the formula a lot from Dead or Alive Extreme 2, this is very much a volleyball game second and a fap game first. The majority of the actual "games" in Dead or Alive Extreme 2 weren't even volleyball. Even calling it a "dating sim" is a stretch.

Furnicula said:
Jim Sterling on this very site called for the series to "not come to the West" a few years ago, gaming journalists and lots of gamers started a "boycott" against Play-Asia because they dared speak out the reason why it won't come to the West, which backfired when about 100x the amount of people fought back against them. And yes, exactly what they've done.
From what I can gather, Play Asia very forcefully insisted that people were upset about the game, but I didn't see much evidence of it prior to their decision to start whining about "SJW nonsense" and I greatly doubt anyone wanting to boycott them was a regular customer to begin with. Had Play Asia just sold the game and not tried to pick a fight, they wouldn't be getting a fight (but of course they knew they wouldn't have sold nearly as many copies if they didn't try to frame buying it as some kind of rebellion so they were always going to pick a fight). You can be sure that if they said "Buy some game we have to support feminism and fuck Men's Rights Activists" there would be a lot of anti-feminists doing the same thing.

RawSteelUT

Mar 8, 2015
Windknight said:
Umm... how does 'announced the game would be a Japanese exclusive in august' count as recently?

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/08/02/dead-or-alive-xtreme-3-in-development-exclusively-for-japan-and-asia.aspx#

THIS IS NOT NEW NEWS.
Hell, I remember hearing about this back then as well. IIRC, Tecmo mentioned it in passing after some patch on the PC version of DoA5 Last Round (which was released February of this year, March on PC, well after GamerGate and SJWs declared war on one another). They likely saw the same thing anyone with five minutes worth of time could see after going to VGChartz - they wouldn't make their money back on a dubbed version with proper western distribution.

And this is the true problem brought about by the politicization of gaming discussion. People don't want to be sensible anymore, to have conversations and listen to one another. People take posts on Facebook as gospel while ignoring company statements or even the most cursory look at the market. Like the rest of the fucking country, the gaming community is huddling up into political silos, and is no longer willing to talk to one another.

Allen Syhavong

Mar 8, 2017
Okay first of all, for all those who criticize this game (game reviewers or not), If you hate this game and don't like the gameplay, my advice is stfu and dont play. No one needs to hear about how this game don't provide "hardcore gaming experience" or "the treatment of women". 2nd of all, the game was created by Japanese developers, NOT by Americans NOR Europeans. Japanese men will be Japanese men (perverted or not). A game merely created for the eyes of Japanese perverts. If the game's developers are making money off of this type of game because of perverted gamers, then so be it.(Another way of making money if you ask me!

Think about it this way, what's the difference between Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 (or its predecessors) vs watching an anime. Anime sexualizes women all the time. The only difference is that you have to pay to play for one and the other you can just watch for free.

) This game was not intended for any other sort of content or audiences. So if you hate the game and how this game treats women, then, DON"T PLAY IT. simple as that.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Allen Syhavong said:
A) Reviewers are supposed to talk about the game, even if they don't like it. That's what the job is.
B) Nobody cared about this game not releasing in the west for a couple months beforehand until it could be blamed on the SJWs.
C) The last post in this thread before yours was literally 15 months ago.