Kojima Reveals Figurine Prototype of Metal Gear Solid V's Quiet

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Even totally ignoring the objectification/sex appeal/whatever, that is a horrible character-design.

And even if she 'has a reason' for dressing up like that in universe, like having chameleon-powers, it changes nothing, because the writers decided to put that in. I highly doubt we'd see the End from MGS3, another sniper, or a character looking like him, dressing up like that...

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
The_Echo said:
Holy shit, not you too, Escapist?

"Oh no, cleavage! Surely this is nothing more than masturbatory aid and a lazy design!"

Are we forgetting Sniper Wolf, EVA, the B&B Corps? And how can we forget the girls-only model viewer (complete with underwear/swimsuit variant) in Peace Walker? Quiet is by no means the only 'sexy' character in this franchise. Hell, even the males in this series are sexed up (Raiden, Vamp, Kaz Miller, Solid Snake's sculpted ass, Naked Snake); in other words, this is nothing new, and I feel the backlash on her design is just people hopping on the feminism bandwagon.

There is a purpose for her design (looking at the trailer, she might have chameleon powers). The model has confirmed as much and if you can't accept that maybe showing a little skin could be used for more than looking good, I'd say you need to chill the fuck out and stop being so reactionary.

I'm getting real sick of this "don't offend me!" bullshit.

OT: That figure doesn't look very good, prototype or otherwise. Then again, I guess Play Arts Kai hasn't been the best at what they do [http://www.tomopop.com/ul/27662-tomopop-review-play-arts-kai-commander-shepard/IMG_7535-620x.jpg].
I really understand where you come from.

Me, I don't know who Quiet is going to be or what her place will be in the game. So I'm not going to be all 'holier than thou' and PC just because of what she's been seen wearing. Does it looks silly? Maybe (I think it does). Is it otaku-bait? Maybe. But were people actually expecting high class from Kojima? He's got quite a track record when it comes to this kind of thing. And who knows, he might surprise a few people.

Also yeah, that fig looks pretty shitty.

wickedmonkey

Nov 11, 2009
I'm not "ban-this-filth!" outraged by it, I don't think I've ever been, but this style of female character is getting really, *really* tedious...

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Uhura said:
I assume she is not going to be moving a lot in the game considering her top is not supportive enough. That, or the top is superglued on her breasts. Totally curious to hear the explanation. "Yeah, she staples it on early in the game."
don't suppose she will
I mean, everything I've seen about her has that big ass sniper rifle, and the trailer showed the skin on her face changing colors, so I'm betting that she will be doing recon and sniping, and not being a soldier running around doing shit like snake

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Oh no! Bewwwwwwwbs!

*gasps...faints*

Seriously, that's the impression I'm getting from this thread.

Mar 26, 2008
Ok. So he's wanting the character to be sexy; fine, we've all seen that before in MGS games like with the B&B Squad, the Boss with her zipped down jumpsuit, etc. But an ill-fitting bikini that exposes under-boob? really? Hideo you really need to get laid more.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
*looks up, see mostly naked female figure*

yup, that is certainly a thing.

Raiyan 1.0 said:
I like how people's defense of this basically amounts to "But-but-but MGS always had stupid female character designs! Therefore they're beyond reproach!"

As for the sexing up of Raiden and Snake - ummm, hello? Those are not their default get-up.
I like how it's not really a defense and more 'nothing to see here, move along.', least that's the vibe I've been getting from it.

Yeah so she looks like she walked off the set of a DoA game outfit wise, meh, *grabs and turns you toward many other games, then toward anime* explain to me why I should care again?

Besides, Riaden was but naked for most of MGS4 and pretty much all of MGR, when it wasn't a joke :p

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Wait, they design and mold entire models for character protoypes?
No wonder it takes them so fucking long to make games.

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
I love how everyone is flipping out over the way Quiet is dressed but no one seemes to care about the fact that the game will have both child soilders and child slaves and juding by how the e3 trailer is shot, Big Boss may end up murdering some kids. Mind you I don´t particullarly like the way the developers have decided to dress Quiet.

Weaver said:
Wait, they design and mold entire models for character protoypes?
No wonder it takes them so fucking long to make games.
It´s most likely just a prototype for one of those Play Arts Kai action figures that are usually released alongside the games.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Not "erotic" enough, time to go back to the drawing board. Maybe a C-String and some tassels instead of the bikini would finish it off?

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
The pantyhose really bothers me for some reason.

It looks like she is wearing the pantyhose underneath the panties, usually ain't it the other way around?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Er...not working for me. I do play and enjoy the Dead or Alive series and I admit that a pretty or hot girl can catch my eye, but there's a line between alluring and too much. I think this design has crossed my line. Maybe if she was wearing a shirt. Then again, I loved Rikku's outfit in X-2, so I don't know.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
I don't think people are as much offended as they are facepalming over how gosh darned stupid the design is, even by Kojima's standards.

Yagami_Kira

May 18, 2012
Pedro The Hutt said:
I don't think people are as much offended as they are facepalming over how gosh darned stupid the design is, even by Kojima's standards.
For me its not even that. I like a bit of t&a, even if the design is dumb. My problem is the attempt at justifying it. Just don't. He's not anywhere near skilled enough as a writer to manage it without looking like a douche.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Raiyan 1.0 said:
I like how people's defense of this basically amounts to "But-but-but MGS always had stupid female character designs! Therefore they're beyond reproach!"
Actually that's not it at all. It's "MGS has always been ridiculous and serious at the same time. If you think this is a problem, you're making a mountain out of a mole-hill."

If you don't like it, fine. Kojima originally wanted to have the Boss and the B&B corps naked. Would it have been fanservicey? Sure.

Yagami_Kira said:
Pedro The Hutt said:
For me its not even that. I like a bit of t&a, even if the design is dumb. My problem is the attempt at justifying it. Just don't. He's not anywhere near skilled enough as a writer to manage it without looking like a douche.
Kojima is not a skilled writer, that doesn't mean he can't justify it. War is fucked up, he constantly shows this, with a variety of things. Let the man write his ideas.

Frankster said:
It looks like she is wearing the pantyhose underneath the panties, usually ain't it the other way around?
In Japan at least, there are differing styles.

Yagami_Kira

May 18, 2012
Lovely Mixture said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Actually that's not it at all. It's "MGS has always been ridiculous and serious at the same time. If you think this is a problem, you're making a mountain out of a mole-hill."

If you don't like it, fine, but if you think it's a problem, do something productive. Kojima originally wanted to have the Boss and the B&B corps naked. Would it have been fanservicey? Sure.

Yagami_Kira said:
Pedro The Hutt said:
Kojima is not a skilled writer, that doesn't mean he can't justify it. War is fucked up, he constantly shows this, with a variety of things. Let the man write his ideas.
Except every female he's ever written is a cliche broken bird that could be used as the trope picture on tvtropes because of how cliche they are. The only one even remotely stable is Eve. Just because kojima has a fetish for abused women doesn't mean he needs to subject the rest of the world with that crap.

JustCallMeJonny

Oct 26, 2013
gigastar said:
Otaku bait. The term youre looking for is otaku bait.

And if theres an actual reason for her design, it had better be as big a shock as a stungun to the spine.
The reason for her design, and this just a guess based on what is saw in trailers, is because her skin is active camouflage. Much like Snake's OctoCamo.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Yagami_Kira said:
Except every female he's ever written is a cliche broken bird that could be used as the trope picture on tvtropes because of how cliche they are. The only one even remotely stable is Eve. Just because kojima has a fetish for abused women doesn't mean he needs to subject the rest of the world with that crap.
Why? Cause you don't like it? What about those who do like it? Why can't artists, writers, and like MAKE fetishized characters? Why should they conform to an audience that doesn't like it?

He does the same thing for his male characters to. Yes, he uses abundant cliches, doesn't make it wrong. And yes, you can criticize it all you want, but it gets silly when you argue it shouldn't be allowed.