Kojima Worried MGSV: The Phantom Pain "Too Big" for Players to Finish

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
What he means is the cutscenes are so full of useless exposition that could be shrunk down that people will get bored before getting close to finishing the game.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
So this guy has apparently never heard of Skyrim, Fallout 3, Oblivion or Fallout New Vegas. Each of those is easily 100+ hours long, and he is worried about a game that takes slightly longer to complete than a movie?

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
He's actually probably talking about 100% completion specifically. If anyone has ever gone for 100% completion in a JRPG like Final Fantasy 10, they'll know why this doesn't really mean much. See the game itself is 30 hours at most if you really sit down and do all the side quests, but trying for 100% completion is incredibly frustrating because it's set up arbitrary and weird and very typically takes multiple play throughs for even a decent chance too do it. It's not fun, it's annoying, and unlike a game like Skyrim it doesn't mean the game is bigger, just that it takes longer to do things, which isn't the same thing.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
008Zulu said:
So this guy has apparently never heard of Skyrim, Fallout 3, Oblivion or Fallout New Vegas. Each of those is easily 100+ hours long, and he is worried about a game that takes slightly longer to complete than a movie?
In fairness, Japan is fairly insular. Maybe he HASN'T heard of those.

On the other hand, there are tons and tons of JRPGs with that kind of depth.

Kojima's just making the usual Molyneux-style head-up-the-ass and promise the moon claims.

SonOfVoorhees said:
If you skip all the cut scences you can complete the game in 20 hours. :)
Divide that by five and you're closer.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
If it's good, those 100+ hours will fly by.

If it's bad, you'll feel every last single minute... and consider what else you could be playing instead.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Wow Peter Molyneux much Kojima?

I don't think he has to worry unless he has some sort of shit fast travel system like Dragons Dogma did.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Kojima, if I can finish Chrono Cross with all characters unlocked, I can finish whatever you can dish out.
(holy shit is that game padded)

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
That's a weird thing to be worried about. If the game is good enough, people will want to go back to it over and over again. It doesn't matter how big or small your game is, if it's boring people won't finish it.
So what you're saying is that it's not the size that counts, it's what you do with it? *drum rimshot* :p

OT: Soooooooo...I'm going to ask the obvious question: does Kojima honestly expect us to believe that he's made a 400 hour game or is he just blowing exaggerations out of his ass? Because god damn...I didn't even put 400 hours into Skyrim. The only game that I know I've put 400 hours into is FFT (the real one for the original PS, not this War of the Lions business), and that's because I had gotten multiple play-throughs to read 99'99'99.

The real question is whether or not Kojima will take any crap when it turns out this is just your average 15-20 hour title. :p

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
Kojima, if I can finish Chrono Cross with all characters unlocked, I can finish whatever you can dish out.
(holy shit is that game padded)
Agreed, it is padded up the wazoo. Let me try a similar statement to yours:
Kojima, if I can beat Shadow the Hedgehog 100% with all the Keys and A ranks on the missions, then I can finish anything you can dish out good sir. XD

On reflection...I wasted way too much time on that really bad game... >.>

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Oh hell, I forgot Ground Zeroes was so soon. I'll wait until after I've played that to decide if I want to 100% The Phantom Pain.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
"Your Hideo Kojima is evolving!"
"..."
"..."
"..."
"Your Hideo Kojima evolved into Peter Molyneux!"

I seem to recall our good friend Peter saying the same sort of things about Fable, bless his little cotton socks.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
They are giving me too much for my money, damn it. Cut something, sell me crap as DLC, leave something for a sequel...
Fucking devs, man, they'll spoil the hell out of us.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
008Zulu said:
Most games bought go unfinished, actually. Hell a good chunk of players don't even get half way through a game. It's just that most devs don't care as soon as they have your money.

Also all of those can be finished in terms of the main plot in under five to eight hours, if not within an hour. Even with skipping cutscenes Kojima's games, and this is typically without side content to pad it out which makes up 99.999999~% of those sandbox games, can last you nearly ten hours. MGS4 had data installs longer than Skyrim's main story :D

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
First rule of listening to Kojima, don't listen to kojima he's kind of a drama king.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
*****, please, people complain about the lack of stuff to do on freaking Skyrim, you're severely underestimating them.

Having said that, YES!, I'm glad Kojima's "worried" about the game's size :)

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
I can't wait to see this 400 hour campaign he's promising...

SupahGamuh said:
*****, please, people complain about the lack of stuff to do on freaking Skyrim, you're severely underestimating them.
That's mostly because so little of it's content is good though.