Kojima Worried MGSV: The Phantom Pain "Too Big" for Players to Finish

C14N

May 28, 2008
Sounds like he's really trying to tease us. "Oh this game is going to be awesome, but I don't know, maybe it's just a little too hardcore for you guys...".

Sounds like it would have been a lot more sensible to break it up into two halves rather than a 0.5% and a 99.5% (approximately).

BL-4CT

Apr 2, 2010
Since when a game too long has been a reason to dicard it?
If the game is good and got you from the beggining, will take you to the end, but that is not excuse to make cutscenes longer than the full trilogy of The Lord of the Ring, hope Kojima understand that.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Dude, it's your job to make your game playable, quit whining about how it's too long or has too many parts.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
OMG! So, like, I played those awful 20-hours games, and thought: oh maaah, itz so darn' biaaag! Ah wanna kina less of dat crap.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
The real concern probably comes from the fact that only about whatever that percentage said of gamers completed the games. I don't mind long games if there is a reason for them to be long. I have 38 hours on NV on just my latest playthrough, and mostly I've just done the DLC. (Also spent a lot of time clearing the cache)

But if they buy the game, and quit playing half way through because that's what they do, then you still got the money for it Kojima, and the people who are huge fans of MGS and enjoy new content for the franchise will be grateful about the length and girth of The Phantom Pain.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010

i don't believe it is a 400 hour game, even finding and doing everything. i don't even think it could reach 400 hours with the cutscenes. not in a single playthrough at least, but then he should have said you'll spend 200x more time playing, not there is 200x bigger.

unless ground zeros has you playing as army men soldiers, and phantom pain is quite literally 200x bigger...

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Is this guy shooting up some kind of random drugs each week when he wants to talk to the press?
Most claims are just... crazy to me. Like he really wants attention (pre-orders?), but he has not clue how to get press... let's say "normally" ?

Anyhow, if it's 400 hours, there will be lots of people eventually clearing that... if it's ACTUALLY good enough.
There are TONS of WoW players with so many more hours.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Now that I think about it... if this will be getting a 360 release and it'll be as big as he claims it will be, how the heck is he going to ship the game?, 2~3 install discs and 1 play disc?.

Maybe I'm overestimating it, but keep in mind, he's working with 3 systems with BluRay discs, so it'll be a given it'll ship on a single disc in those systems.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Zira said:
DSK- said:
"Your Hideo Kojima is evolving!"
"..."
"..."
"..."
"Your Hideo Kojima evolved into Peter Molyneux!"

I seem to recall our good friend Peter saying the same sort of things about Fable, bless his little cotton socks.

Looks like you got it.

I honestly hope the new MGS will sweep me off my feet like all the previous games in the saga did, but I am worried that this one, this new episode here, will be the episode in which Metal Gear will finally jump the shark, and turn from masterpiece to crap. As foretold by the ancient prophecy!
Complete with dog companion breadcrumb trail for main and side ops!

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
Kojima has head up ass, as Kojima is known to show.

Who wants to bet half of this x200 size is dedicated to cut-scenes?

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
That's a weird thing to be worried about. If the game is good enough, people will want to go back to it over and over again. It doesn't matter how big or small your game is, if it's boring people won't finish it.
I think what he is trying to express (assuming that this isn't a marketing gimmick) is that he is worried that the main game/campaign is compromised by it's length and the sheer amount of side content. Basically, he is worried that the game lacks focus because they jammed so much into it.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Alex Co said:
let's hope The Phantom Pain's 200x increase means that even played without side-missions, it will take longer than most movies to complete.
Hehe, was that a Freudian slip?

All I can say is that if Kojima thinks the game is too long, then the game is definitely too long. Be afraid.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
'I am worried my game is too awesome' is always a believable fear. Also I wonder what percentage is composed of cutscenes?

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on this board who actually likes Metal Gear. These threads make always depress me.
OT: I hope it's not completely barren and empty just for the sake of being big. Then again, knowing Kojima, there's bound to be tons of things to do and things to see. I mean over decade later and I still find an occasional hidden extra in MGS1 and 2. Easter Eggs and secrets are his thing, so I just hope MGSV is chock-full of them.

EDIT: Maybe he means it's 200x the 5 minutes it took his speedrunners to beat it. I guess that means the fastest playthrough of MGSV would be about 16 hours.

Tsrq

Dec 10, 2013
I'd just like to point out, since no one seems to have noticed, but Kojima went on record recently saying that he was trying to cut down significantly on cutscenes, relegating them to mission briefs and some small ones during missions. So no, it will most likely not be 400 hours of cutscenes. Probably. We hope.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Where do people keep getting 400 hours from?

I like that this thread is full of people claiming Kojima is BS'ing us, and then pulls out random numbers based on pretty much nothing.

I read the words "200x bigger" not "200x longer", which given that MGS5 is an open world map game, tells me the total map size for all the regions put together is 200 times the small, single map we're getting from Ground Zeroes.

While that doesn't sound THAT big(so, what, Skyrim size?) given how often gamers don't finish more linear games, it's not too suprising he's worried that the paradigm shift from linear maps to open world would scare a lot of series fans away.

Not that I think that's TRUE, as many people in the thread have pointed out they've completed even more insane stuff, but given he's coming off an entire franchise of super linear games, it's not weird he's concerned.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
200 times bigger than Ground Zeros, so 400 hours. Just how many discs will the movie game be shipping on? It's discouraging to see Kojima going in to full spin mode to try and get people interested in the game after they have concerns. As others have said, he's delving in to Molyneux territory.

News prediction for tomorrow: Kojima confident MGSV: The Phantom Pain will deliver explosive orgasms to all
I hate to say this, but if that's the next promise, I believe it. It's like believing my longtime girlfriend will all of a sudden lose all of her prowess just because now she's added playing coy to the roleplay.