Kojima Worried MGSV: The Phantom Pain "Too Big" for Players to Finish

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Is the game 200x bigger, or is are there just 200x the cutscenes? Because if that's the case, then the game is still only about 10 hours long.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Kojima, have you been talking to Molyneux lately? Because you're clearly both smoking the same stuff and I want some.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Let's just hope that "200x" amount of content means actual gameplay time and not just more and longer movies. Oh wait, I don't play MGS anyways, why am I here?

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
this sounds good to me my biggest problem with the metal gear solid series was that if you cut out all the cutscenes you could basically finish the story in a single sitting

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
So, Kojima is releasing his next great... sleep aid... and he's worried it'll be too effective?

If even you think your work is too boring to keep people's interest, then maybe you should think about hiring an editor.

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
BigTuk said:
200x Bigger.... now just how much of this 'bigger' is gameplay and how much is cut scenes?
garjian said:
I can't wait to see this 400 hour campaign he's promising...
Given that he said 200x bigger and not 200x longer and it's an open-world game, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he's referring to the surface area of the maps.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
I wish Kojima would clarify what he means by 200X bigger. As in length? Size of all the environments put together? Quantity of missions?

SporkySpork

Feb 19, 2014
So the thread devolves into a string of token comparisons to Pete Molyneux (please, someone give me a source of when he ever said that he was worried that his games would be too big) and token "jokes" that MGS is a movie and not a game become hurr hurr a series that has always focused on its story before it was even something to complain about is terrible hurr hurr etc, etc.

I can see where Kojima is coming from. His series has always been hyper-linear, even MGS3 which was the most "open-world" the series ever was until now. Throwing a huge map into a stealth-based game is going to increase the amount of time someone plays it (imagine if you had to sneak all over Skyrim all the time).

There's a trope for what Kojima is worried about, and it's the Quicksand Box [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/QuicksandBox].

Being more into linear games, almost every sandbox game is a Quicksand Box to me, and considering that fans of MGS expect a linear game, I can see a sizable chunk not wanting to bother with an open-world stealth game because the slow pace coupled with a lot of alleged content runs the risk of making everything a crawl, and that's not even taking the story into account if you don't skip it, which a lot of fans won't.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
This is brilliant, it's like your partner saying; "Sorry babe, I'm so good in bed, that if I sleep with you, it'll ruin your endorphin production." Just give us the game man, stop boasting.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I think it would serve the game better if Kojima described Ground Zeros as being a prologue or small introduction to the big game. I compare it to Dead Rising 2: Case Zero, a small but fun intro to the main release, which i actually ended up enjoying more than the main game.

Right now he's calling it a full game and defending it as best he can, there's nothing wrong with short, just tell us it's supposed to be and we'll believe you.
(captcha "and thats the way it is")