Konami Shuns Kotaku Japan Over Corruption Comments

Denizen

Jan 29, 2010
I think the phrase, "thou dost protest too much" shows that Konami is guilty.

If they never reacted to it, only a small portion of the gaming community would know about it.

Kotaku is very reputable in its regard for news. Konami shows its true colors now.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
In opinion, AND ONLY OPINION.

Famitsu has given out alot of perfect scores in recent years compared to how sparingly they gave out them in the past.

in my opinion, I feel something fishy is going on here.

Abriael

Dec 4, 2003
John Funk said:
You have potentially the most broad view of libel I have seen in quite some time. Just because you say it is, doesn't actually make it so.
I'm sorry, but my view of libel is the by-the-book view. Throwing open accusations on a written publication without a shred of proof. This is what libel is.

libel [ˈlaɪbəl]
1. (Law) Law
a. the publication of defamatory matter in permanent form, as by a written or printed statement, picture, etc.
b. the act of publishing such matter

There isn't much to argue about this.

What Ashcraft is doing, is saying, "Here are the facts: Famitsu gave Peace Walker a 40/40. Famitsu's scores are incredibly influential in a title's success in Japan, a rare perfect score exponentially more so. Famitsu and its founder are also incredibly involved in the game's promotional material, and in fact in the game itself. I, personally, find something suspicious about this."
funny how you try to make it sound milder my changing by a LOT his wording.

I'll do something much simpler, and will quote directly:

"Do Not Trust This Magazine's Review Scores"
"the review appears bought"
"It needlessly dirties up what could very well be a great game"
"Peace Walker is better than this. Hideo Kojima is better than this. Famitsu, it seems, is not."

That's very different from how you worded in in a blatant and intentional attempt to make it sound milder, my dear devil's advocate :D

That is an opinion. That is drawing a conclusion based on the facts at hand. That is not libel.
I'm afraid no. It implies (actually it's not even implied, it's declared) the fact that there have been underhanded dealings (which isn't proven at all), that's not opinion, that's an accusation, that's what's called libel.

How is this different from people saying, "Well, Gamespot had advertising for Kane & Lynch, Jeff Gerstmann gave it a bad score, and Gerstmann was fired. Huh???"
It wouldn't be different than writing on a publication "Well, Gamespot had advertising for Kane & Lynch, Jeff Gerstmann gave it a bad score, and Gerstmann was fired. Therefore the publisher of K&L and Gamespot got an underhanded dealing to get Gestermann fired as a compensation for the damage done by the interview"

The bolded part is very, very different from "Huh???"

Famitsu was, at some point, involved with the game itself. Famitsu appears in the game. Its founder and head is in lots of the promotional material. That's a bit deeper of a relationship than advertisers usually have.
A bit deeper? How exactly? Famitsu is the most visible magazine in Japan, do you really think the advantage they receive from a Tie In is bigger than what a site like Kotaku gets from advertisement that allows them to survive and being profitable? Please.

All Ashcraft is saying is that it's incredibly shady of Famitsu not to even mention that they've been so involved with MGSPW in their perfect review as a disclaimer. The onus is on Famitsu here, not Konami.
Not really, Ashcraft didn't say that. He said that the "review appears bought". Which is a whole different cup of tea.
But I do find funny how you continue to minimize what ashcraft said in order to try and defend a completely unprofessional behavioir.

Also. There's nothing to be disclosed. A full disclosure is needed or warranted when there is something to be disclosed. The tie-in has been publicly announced and slapped on everyone's face.

Abriael

Dec 4, 2003
daflame said:
I think the phrase, "thou dost protest too much" shows that Konami is guilty.

If they never reacted to it, only a small portion of the gaming community would know about it.
Giving the idea that people can write libelous articles with no consequence? That's not really how it works, mate.

Kotaku is very reputable in its regard for news. Konami shows its true colors now.
Kotaku is reputable? lol. It's probably one of the least reputable publications on the net. Their pro-microsoft slant is legendary. Also, they have been riling against both Famitsu and Kojima (not to mention the PSP and Sony in general) for a while now, in many, many articles. Seriously, i'd go as far as saying that HipHopGamer is almost more reputable than Kotaku (almost).

If there's something fishy going on, some sort of hidden agenda, I'd look more towards Kotaku's direction.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I'm sorry, I just have to post this its to funny, also no offence in advance its just funny: Plus Red Dead, Peace Walker is the only other game I'm probably buying this year. Does it diserve a 40/40? Only time will tell.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
another wonderful example of score inflation on a gaming website, why the hell does this only happen in this medium on such a large scale? sure you see a few instances in film and book reviews, but never by critic leaders.

Abriael

Dec 4, 2003
qbanknight said:
another wonderful example of score inflation on a gaming website, why the hell does this only happen in this medium on such a large scale? sure you see a few instances in film and book reviews, but never by critic leaders.
because that's what the readers pressure for. Look at what happens when extremely hyped games don't get perfect or near perfect scores.

There's also the opposite trend, actually. There are plenty reviewers that give extra-hyped games very low scores in order to grab "hate hits" and controversy. Destructoid and Edge are a good example of that.

Abriael

Dec 4, 2003
Oh and by the way, I was almost forgetting. Just to slam the last nail in the coffin of Kotaku's hipocrisy:

I don't see Kotaku putting a full disclosure on their (extremely positive) review or on the several articles they wrote about Forza Motorsport 3. Guess what?
Their sister blog Jalopnik, part of the Gawker network, has a tie-in with Forza 3. They helped chose the cars in one of the forza DLC package with an event called "Forzalopnik", and VIP players of Forza Motorsport 3 got a Jalopnik themed car delivered in game by Turn 10.

Yet there's no full disclosure anywhere in the Forza themed articles on Kotaku.

Still so eager to defend Mr Ashcraft, John Funk?

I rest my case.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Maybe someone just really liked the game, and maybe Konami payed a lot to advertise one of their largest franchises?

Or maybe there's corruption afoot and I'm just blinded by ideals.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
I can see why Kotaku would make such claims and why Konami would be offended, but I still don't believe that it gives Kotaku the right to make such claims.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
Abriael said:
qbanknight said:
because that's what the readers pressure for. Look at what happens when extremely hyped games don't get perfect or near perfect scores.

There's also the opposite trend, actually. There are plenty reviewers that give extra-hyped games very low scores in order to grab "hate hits" and controversy. Destructoid and Edge are a good example of that.
Still though, you see a lot of movies that are always till release (Watchmen, Transformers, Avatar) and critics at least try to give them fair ratings. Why treat video games any differently? Because the fanboys in videogames are rabid psychotics?

Abriael

Dec 4, 2003
qbanknight said:
Still though, you see a lot of movies that are always till release (Watchmen, Transformers, Avatar) and critics at least try to give them fair ratings. Why treat video games any differently? Because the fanboys in videogames are rabid psychotics?
It depends on what critics really. I've seens lots of critics praising Avatar like it was God's second coming, for instance.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
Abriael said:
qbanknight said:
It depends on what critics really. I've seens lots of critics praising Avatar like it was God's second coming, for instance.
Eh good point, it was alright; but I keep comparing it to Crysis, a good-looking tech demo and nothing more

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
I think Mr. Westbrook was paid off by Kotaku to smear their rival Famitsu even more!

Nah, I'm just shitting everyone. Logan's a cool guy

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
I thought this sounded a bit suspicious, but then I checked the list of previous games that got perfect scores and realized that about half of them were handed out in accordance with some unfamiliar form of moon logic.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Oh please. There have been 4 perfect game scores from Famitsu in 2009 alone so it's not as rare as people are making it out to be these days. Famitsu USED to be known as a strict rating magazine. Now they hand out 40/40 and 39/40 to the biggest franchises. I mean come on even COD 4 managed to wrangle a 39/40 from these guys.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
This is the second time that a major company has black balled Kotaku from it's events. For anyone that remembers the 2007 Sony blackballing. Kotaku is building a reputation of pissing companies off.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Abriael said:
Oh and by the way, I was almost forgetting. Just to slam the last nail in the coffin of Kotaku's hipocrisy:

I don't see Kotaku putting a full disclosure on their (extremely positive) review or on the several articles they wrote about Forza Motorsport 3. Guess what?
Their sister blog Jalopnik, part of the Gawker network, has a tie-in with Forza 3. They helped chose the cars in one of the forza DLC package with an event called "Forzalopnik", and VIP players of Forza Motorsport 3 got a Jalopnik themed car delivered in game by Turn 10.

Yet there's no full disclosure anywhere in the Forza themed articles on Kotaku.

Still so eager to defend Mr Ashcraft, John Funk?

I rest my case.
Case and point.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Whether or not these allegations of bribery are true (I really don't care), this is a rather distressing sign o' the times. Game reviewers need to give the whole score system a good shakeup, because it's frankly laughable these days. Any game developed by a major studio is almost guaranteed an 8.5 or 9, and there have been some rather ludicrous examples of games getting a perfect score even when they have fairly obvious flaws (GTA IV's lack of mid mission checkpoints springs to mind).

Really, there's no point in having a system that ranks from one to ten if you only ever use about twenty percent of that range. If you believed todays reviewers, we should be living in some kind of gaming renaissance, when in fact we're stuck in a rut full of rehashed formulae and cliches, kept afloat by three things: obsessive fandom, frankly obscene amounts of money spent on marketing, and a gaming press that seems to be full of 'yes men'.