Konami Shuns Kotaku Japan Over Corruption Comments

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Abriael said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:
This is neither an argument, nor is it libel. It's pure insinuation, as evidenced by the quote that says it "appears to be bought". Legally the guy has his bases covered due to the wording - although I am bearing in mind that I'm reading a translation, so I take it with the relevant grain of salt. If he was ever to be taken to court for it, his lawyers could argue that he was not implying directly that the review was bought, but that the lack of disclosure would give the appearance that it was bought. In which case it's definitely not libel, it's an observation. Unless maybe the legal system works a little differently in Japan.
Eh, not really, the use of a mild conditional doesn't really cover his bases, expecially when the idea of foul play is reiterated multiple times through a lenghty article.

It's pretty much a clear cut accusation, expecially since the fact that they didn't post a full disclosure of something that was publicly advertised in a quite big press conference does not make the score appear to be bought. Hence, the libel.

The fact that many cases of libel aren't pursued simply because it wouldn't be cost efficent to do so, doesn't mean that there are no elements of libel in play.

This, of course, without even mentioning that the articles being actually libelous or bordering libel doesn't make much of a difference, paired with the fact that kotaku's accusations are clearly hypocritical (since they do exactly the same), I'd say is pretty safe to say that in this case Ashcraft and Kotaku are completely in the wrong.

1) Either libelous or bordering libel accusations with zero proof (depending on how you interpret the word libel)
2) Exactly the same behaviour held by Kotaku and Gawker in multiple proven occasions

1+2= Kotaku's article is a pile of smoldering sensationalistic crap that should only be frowned upon and for sure not defended.
Well I'm going to ask an actual law student for clarification on the exact nature of libel laws before I indulge in any more speculation.

Abriael

Dec 4, 2003
Loonerinoes said:
Keep it up. The thread's a riot. Or it soon will be, just keep the 'intellectuals' busy with replies.
Actually, I'm out. Time for work and the real world awaits. I said what I had to. Sorry to disappoint :D

vikeif

Sep 22, 2008
Loonerinoes said:
Keep it up. The thread's a riot. Or it soon will be, just keep the 'intellectuals' busy with replies.
well damn, I do believe people might be getting tired of this it is 3am. (well here it is anyway.)

vikeif

Sep 22, 2008
Abriael said:
Loonerinoes said:
Actually, I'm out. Time for work and the real world awaits. I said what I had to. Sorry to disappoint :D
well be safe, been fun, I need my sleep.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
You know Konami. Saying "Fuck you you can't come to my party" to the guy who accused you of spiking the punch isn't going to revert his thoughts you know....really off-hand analogy.

I still refuse to believe that Famitsu of all reviewers (they're well known for being brutal) gave it a perfect. No. That just doesn't sit right.

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
Space Jawa said:
Which means the value of the reviews is diminished regardless of whether or not there were bribes involved.
Exactly. It would take a lot of money or influence to equal even the threat of losing subscriptions from pissed off fanatics.

Since I don't really buy all that many games anymore, I don't have any subscriptions to gaming magazines. But I used to have a longtime subscription to Game Informer, and this kind of thing slowly became more and more apparent over the years.

Back around the turn of the millennium, reviews tended to get much harsher if the reviewer didn't like it. Profanity was actually not uncommon, and the review staff pretty well gave off the vibe that they were just some dudes sitting around talking shop about games. There was also a tendency to get pretty harsh if a game honestly didn't perform well, and especially if it didn't live up to hype. I recall a game receiving a 0 on their 1-10 scale once, and that was pretty damn funny, even more so since the reviewer declared it had only fared that well since their editor confirmed that they couldn't, in fact, give a game a negative score.

It actually surprised me a great deal when I dug out one of the oldest magazines I had and realized that that style was completely gone. Everything in the most recent issues I had gotten seemed so clean and safe. Hardly anything except the most expensive blockbusters received any page space, and even games that received fairly harsh criticisms in the body of the review would still end up with superb scores. The fishiest one was actually pretty topical: MGS4 got a 10/10, which in itself wouldn't have surprised me if the text of the review had had any content to it whatsoever. No premise, no mechanics, no discussion of style or content, and, tellingly, not even a mention of potential criticisms. It seemed suspiciously like the reviewer was just trying their hardest to resist committing to any potentially assailable critical position.

All the time since I had first started reading, perhaps ever other issue some years, there would inevitably be an entry in the letters section telling them that their 'outrageous' low score, usually of a game that wasn't even all that big, was the latest in a long line of blah blah blah and they were canceling their subscription. These kinds of assholes (to put it bluntly) are unavoidable, but I can certainly understand how, as gaming culture grows larger and larger, fanbases become more devoted and insular, and the financial stakes grow larger with the the size of the subscription base and the ability of the publication to appease both fans and developers alike, the incentive to fudge a review here and there becomes less of a trick to get an edge on the competition and more of a necessity just to hold on to what you have, especially if they even suspect their competitors aren't above doing the same.

The end responsibility is, as always, with the readership, of course; until even the suspicion of foul play is enough to threaten a publication's subscriber base as much as or more than the occasional fan tantrum, there isn't any reason for them to stop other than their own conscience, and there are a lot of people that would rather have job security than a spotless conscience, and can you really blame them?

But so far, the opposite has proven true. When something happens to give gamers serious doubts about whether or not a given publication is playing by the rules or not, there will be a short period of grumbling followed by zero change in the status quo, or a quick return to it. When a publication has the gall to speak ill of a popularly inviolable title or developer, heads roll, ads and previews get pulled, and readers flee.

Rather than lengthen an already overlong post with citing unpleasant events that everyone is already far too familiar with, things are like this: rather than be falsely accused of employing unpleasable trolls and lose money from readers and money and access from developers, they can conduct slimy practices to appease the truly unpleasable trolls upon which they are financially dependent at no risk to themselves.

It's up to you to change this statues quo. If you think a publication or website is trying to game the system, don't give them your money, and don't pay them your attention. Nothing else you can do is going to give anyone the crazy idea that gamers want journalistic integrity, too, because unless or until this is done, I guess we really don't.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Abriael said:
Loonerinoes said:
Tell the rest of the guys at Famitsu I said 'hi' :D

OT I think this is quite fishy also. But then again, I remember raising a post some months back about how funny it was Famitsu were always giving Squeenix RPGs high scores even when other magazines were giving them mediocre ones, so it really isn't all that surprising.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Abriael said:
Loonerinoes said:
Au contraire, I bet you'll say far more than what you have to if your current track record is anything to go by. But be sure to go hard at your 'work' as you put it. Might tire your hand out enough so that you won't be able to type back furious responses and actually think about how your logic fails to grasp the most basic context around the law as pertaining to cases of 'slanderous libel' as you put it so well. Though I'm pretty sure that your definitions of the term and how to apply it to the word of the law would be more appreciated within mainland China.

Meh...why do I bother. He's probably buzzed off to his fairlyland place before returning to his home and first thing he'll do when he comes back is hit the keyboard with a vengeance. I'll try to think of a clever objection line to link in response if that does indeed happen.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
TheRocketeer said:
Absolutely agreed. One of my fondest memories is of when I picked up my first copy of 'Hyper' (which I believe Yahtzee wrote for at one point, correct me if I'm wrong), and about four pages into the reviews there was a game called 'Tactical Ops: Assault On Terror', with an accompanying headline "Dan Toose stopped retching just in time to write this review." The guy gave the game a mere twenty five percent and called it out for being a blatant attempt to cash in on the events of 9/11. I laughed 'til I couldn't feel my sides anymore. We need to bring these good old days back.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
When a Metal Gear Solid game comes out, it doesn't need perfect scores. it'll sell millions. Wow, that almost sounded like a Chuck Norris joke...

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
TheRocketeer said:
Space Jawa said:
.. games that received fairly harsh criticisms in the body of the review would still end up with superb scores.
Nice to see this mentioned as I feel exactly the same way. Whether I agree with the review or not, the review needs to actually support the score given. I may think Game X is the worst thing I've ever played, but if you can support your 9/10 score for it with a quality text review then I'm happy either way. Nothing smells worse than an obviously negative text review that ends with a high numeric score.

As for the topic at hand, and despite all of the legal posturing in this thread, I definitely agree with Ashcraft and appreciate that he posted what he did. I'm not saying there is definitely something fishy going on (and Ashcraft wasn't either) but it certainly does look that way.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Yeah, guys I just called about 4 of my uncles. All of which are lawyers in business law. Aribel is right about the libel. Konami/Famitsu could take Kotaku to court over that article. It's spreading defamatory remarks about a business. Two businesses in fact. Kotaku has no proof of any score inflation. Kotaku never said shit when MGS4 got 40/40, or when MGS3 got 39/40. And seeing as how Destructoid is famous for hyping up game by repeatedly reporting on one or two AAA games almost exclusively at a time then giving one of them a scathing reveiw Brian Aschcroft is going to need proof. Or a lawyer if Konami/Famitsu sees fit. I remember how much Destructoid hyped up Assassin's Creed II. They ran an article every other day. They had constant ads on the site. They had contests. And then when the game came out, it got a 4.5. Just because there's a promo for a game being done by a certain magazine doesn't mean score inflation is afoot.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
All they have done is give credibility to the allegations by revoking the invite. Idiots.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Abriael said:
John Funk said:
No, dude. You are wrong. This has nothing to do with "delusional immunity internet wannabe journalists think they have." This is something that has been on the journalist op-ed page from the very beginning - if you can make an argument and support your argument and your conclusion, then go ahead, say what you want to say
If your argument is a clear cut accusation of foul play, then you have to support it indeed, with proof. If you support it only with smoky conjecture, then I'm sorry, but that's not an opinion piece, that's libel.

And with that, I go to bed. And I leave you a reminder to tone the attitude down.
It's not the first time that you use the moderator costume in order to try and win an argument. I posted no personal attack against any of the posters here, on the other hand, I've been target of gratuitous personal attack from a couple people. How comes you remind me to "tone the attitude down" and not them? You're getting a tad blatant.

What kind of attitude, if I may Ask? I've been laying down my opinion in a clear cut but absolutely polite way. I insulted or personally attacked no one here, while others didn't really manage to keep their cool. So I'm sure you can explain what kind of "attitude" I have to "Tone down".

Is expressing a different opinion an "attitude" that one has to tone down now?
The "you" here was a "you all," apologies if that was unclear. EVERYONE needs to tone it down - argue nice, or don't argue at all.

And I'm sorry, but the world doesn't work the way you think it does. If you can support your argument with facts (and yes, Bashcraft was using facts), it's fine.

If libel was as widespread as you believe it to be, no newspapers would even HAVE an op-ed page out of fear of lawsuits. But they do. It would kill academic analysis (How dare you say my paper is a racist text for X Y and Z? LAWSUIT!) which might not be a bad thing.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Abriael said:
I'm sorry if i have to burst the bubble of delusional immunity internet wannebe journalists think they have, but if you accuse someone of foul behavior publicly and without proof, you're doing nothing else than libel.
What is YOUR definition of libel then?
While you do have a correct literal definition, its nothing like that which is used in reality.
NYT v. Sullivan
The Court held that the First Amendment protects the publication of all statements, even false ones, about the conduct of public officials except when statements are made with actual malice (with knowledge that they are false or in reckless disregard of their truth or falsity).
Now there is a lower standard for private entities but its not much lower(especially with people in the public eye, the court has basically said "deal with it"). Other court cases have indicated that actual harm must come from the libel.

So while your right in the definition, I believe your offbase in your application of it in the kotaku article.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
sneakypenguin said:
Abriael said:
I'm sorry if i have to burst the bubble of delusional immunity internet wannebe journalists think they have, but if you accuse someone of foul behavior publicly and without proof, you're doing nothing else than libel.
What is YOUR definition of libel then?
While you do have a correct literal definition, its nothing like that which is used in reality.
NYT v. Sullivan
The Court held that the First Amendment protects the publication of all statements, even false ones, about the conduct of public officials except when statements are made with actual malice (with knowledge that they are false or in reckless disregard of their truth or falsity).
Now there is a lower standard for private entities but its not much lower(especially with people in the public eye, the court has basically said "deal with it"). Other court cases have indicated that actual harm must come from the libel.

So while your right in the definition, I believe your offbase in your application of it in the kotaku article.
He's not off base here. It's Kotaku Japan who's blackballed here. And Famitsu as well as Konami are Japanese companies. The laws there are different. You can't spread defamatory accusations in Japan like you can in the States.

In other words using the U.S. first amendment right as a comparison has no effect here.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
Abriael said:
Space Jawa said:
Perhaps this is the real story here. Maybe someone should look into it and write a story about that.
Or perhapse they simply have a new generation of reviewers and journalists that are more enthusiastic about games and more free in giving high scores?

Look around the world-wide press. How many perfect scores did you use to see in the nineties and early 2000s? Lately there's tons of 10s dropped around. God of War III, Uncharted 2, Metal Gear Solid 4. Lots of examples out there. Why?
Simply because gaming journalism, as a whole, has changed.
Once upon a time an 8/10 was a great score. Now if a game gets 9.2 instead of 9.5-10, then it's a failure and a trainwreck ensues.

It's most definitely not a matter of Famitsu.
It sounds like we have last generation journalists reviewing this / next generation games.