Konami Shuns Kotaku Japan Over Corruption Comments

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
MGS fans (or, really, Hideo Kojima fans) are crazy about criticism. Any given gaming publication with a considerable readership would probably ratchet up the scores regardless of whether or not this kind of nepotism is actually going on.

Abriael

Dec 4, 2003
John Funk said:
No, dude. You are wrong. This has nothing to do with "delusional immunity internet wannabe journalists think they have." This is something that has been on the journalist op-ed page from the very beginning - if you can make an argument and support your argument and your conclusion, then go ahead, say what you want to say
If your argument is a clear cut accusation of foul play, then you have to support it indeed, with proof. If you support it only with smoky conjecture, then I'm sorry, but that's not an opinion piece, that's libel.

And with that, I go to bed. And I leave you a reminder to tone the attitude down.
It's not the first time that you use the moderator costume in order to try and win an argument. I posted no personal attack against any of the posters here, on the other hand, I've been target of gratuitous personal attack from a couple people. How comes you remind me to "tone the attitude down" and not them? You're getting a tad blatant.

What kind of attitude, if I may Ask? I've been laying down my opinion in a clear cut but absolutely polite way. I insulted or personally attacked no one here, while others didn't really manage to keep their cool. So I'm sure you can explain what kind of "attitude" I have to "Tone down".

Is expressing a different opinion an "attitude" that one has to tone down now?

vikeif

Sep 22, 2008
Abriael said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:
I think it's only really an issue because his argument does have some merit. I mean, this wouldn't be the first time it's happened (Kane and Lynch, anyone?). You're right in saying that he's a hypocrite for doing the same thing with his own magazine, and his article reads like he's just attempting to start a flame war. But if the review system wasn't in the state it was, people would simply scoff at him and say "yeah right", because for a game to garner that kind of score it would have to have earned it. After all, there will always be shit-stirrers.
It would have merit if he looked in his own camp, or made a broad analysis of review scores in genera, maybe even bringing examples (without throwing unfounded accusations of course). That'd sure be a pretty interesting article. But singling out Famitsu? That's just hypocritical.
Famitsu is IN THE GAME IT HYPED AS PERFECT! It's gaetting singled out cause it the only IRL magizine being in the game that giving nothing but gold medals to, if their were other in the same boot with them, then they would all be called out and it would be PROVEN konami was buying reviews.

vikeif

Sep 22, 2008
Abriael said:
John Funk said:
No, dude. You are wrong. This has nothing to do with "delusional immunity internet wannabe journalists think they have." This is something that has been on the journalist op-ed page from the very beginning - if you can make an argument and support your argument and your conclusion, then go ahead, say what you want to say
If your argument is a clear cut accusation of foul play, then you have to support it indeed, with proof. If you support it only with smoky conjecture, then I'm sorry, but that's not an opinion piece, that's libel.

And with that, I go to bed. And I leave you a reminder to tone the attitude down.
It's not the first time that you use the moderator costume in order to try and win an argument. I posted no personal attack against any of the posters here, on the other hand, I've been target of gratuitous personal attack from a couple people. How comes you remind me to "tone the attitude down" and not them? You're getting a tad blatant.

What kind of attitude, if I may Ask? I've been laying down my opinion in a clear cut but absolutely polite way. I insulted or personally attacked no one here, while others didn't really manage to keep their cool. So I'm sure you can explain what kind of "attitude" I have to "Tone down".

Is expressing a different opinion an "attitude" that one has to tone down now?
he was TALKING to the people attacking, genius. and secondly you just personally insulted a mod, grats.

powell86

Mar 19, 2009
vikeif said:
Abriael said:
sneakypenguin said:
What Ashcraft wrote is: "Famitsu gave the game a perfect score and took part in it's promotion, therefore the review is bought", much, much different. This is libel.
THAT WAS THE FUCKING LINE!?
THAT WAS IT!?!?!

dude, close your blog, your just as bad if not worse than he is.
dude... as u said it yourself, you are no law student, now as a law student telling you... yes indeed there is a case of libel. However, I must add that chances of Konami/Famitsu successfully suing and then get a damages payout more than their court fees are very small. Hence most people do not go through the entire court process. The banhammer falling on Konami is the least form of retaliation they could have done, as opposed to what? sending a lawyer letter requesting Kotaku to cease and desist. That would have appeared even more petty.

@Abriael

yo whatever you've wrote here is mostly correct but seriously, why are u bothering defending Konami and slamming Kotaku? I mean you deft have a much more mature view then most of the forumers on interent (yes escapist inclusive), and i bet you are deft older than most of them perhaps in ur twenties? So why are u bothering arguing with forumers in their teens who will

1) never fully understand what you mean
2) insult you back in childish ways
3) attempt to argue back with flawed logics which they think is gold becuz they believe so
(and perhaps due to the fact they do not know better becuz they're still young and unexposed to the real world)
4) if 3) failed, then they repeat 2) ad infinitum

and oh btw, to answer vikeif's question requesting of proof from Konami/Famitsu. Erm actually it will be impossible to do so if Konami/Famitsu are non-guilty. Cuz logically, it is impossible to prove that something never exsisted e.g. how to prove that there isn't a pink flying elephant, all you can do is give indirect evidences e.g. i've never seen a pink elephant + i've never seen an elephant that could fly hence there is no pink flying elephant. But this logic is flawed becuz one assumption is that past experiences equates to future truths. Which is definitely not 100% all the time.

(ok sorry for the lame example, but there is a point)

Hence, burden of proof lies on the accuser and NOT of the defendant. Konami/Famitsu should not have to make any statements stating their innocence (assuming they are, the law always does, innocent until proven) due to someone making a statement without proof.

and lastly, about opinions in newspaper. to tell you the truth, most of them have an element of libel. just that most companies/politicians do not choose to correct every single breaches due to 1) image issue and 2) cost. Ever so rarely do such libel cases follow thru. But to give you what constitutes libel (at least from where i came from), even calling people "idiot" in a public area and if the victim of said name calling can show that other people who do not know him/her heard that and hence may form a bias opinion abt him/her, will succeed in the case (as it is virtually to prove that someone is an "idiot" by its law definition). It takes very little to sue for libel. And yes, most journalists have been getting away with it for the longest period of time and it is even worst on the internet.

*note: yes i understand that some (if not most) may flame me by insulting forumers haha... i apologize if i offended you. But Abriael, u noe what? i won't even bother replying here for like i said, most prob the replies will be in line with my 4 steps of forum responses (hence my low post counts). So my suggestion to you is this. Take your peace somewhere else, u don't have to prove a point with them.

Don't argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you by experience.

Abriael

Dec 4, 2003
vikeif said:
Bend out of shape? I'm just getting warmed up.
If your personal attacks are just "getting warmed up" then i wonder how you are when you try to flame.

Again I wanna see the Proof they didn't do it
You can "want" to see it as much as you want, but this doesn't give you any right to demand it. So one day you wake up and decide to accuse your neighbor of peeping into your bathroom as you pee. You call the police and accuse him of stalking. Guess what? they're gonna ask YOU to prove it, they aren't going to ask your neighbor to prove that he didn't do it.

Secondly, Reason I say close your blog is because you only looking in ONE direction if you want you point to be even taken seriously, you need to look at what your defending as well, because if THEY DID buy the review and the game comes out as shit, every reviewer (fake or no.) will rip the shit out of there asses and feed it to them journalistically.
I'm defending no one. I'm just saying that
1: Kotaku is accusing a developer and a competing publication of foul play without any shred of proof. Since accusing without proof is wrong by itself, it doesn't matter if the accusations happen to be right. He has no proof, so his case doesn't exist.
2: give and take between journalists and developers has gone on in the industry for years. Everywhere. Japan, Europe, US, Online, offline. Every single developer has employees officially appointed to try and "sway" the opinions of the press. There's nothing new about it. That's why customers should ALWAYS take ALL reviews with a grain of salt.
3: Kotaku throws accusations in the face of others, but as I proved they did the same things multiple times, ergo, their article is hypocritical.

There's no need to even get into defending Konami and Famitsu, Kotaku is in the wrong on the whole spectrum whatever Konami and Famitsu did.

@powell86: thanks for the kind words. On the reason why I bother... well, first of all I can't seem to sleep. Secondarily, I'm tired of seeing wannabe journalists stirring controversy at the expense of people (game developers) whose professionality they can't even imagine.

But yeah, I guess it's moot. As we say here in Italy "There's no worse deaf that the one that doesn't want to hear."

vikeif

Sep 22, 2008
powell86 said:
vikeif said:
Abriael said:
sneakypenguin said:
What Ashcraft wrote is: "Famitsu gave the game a perfect score and took part in it's promotion, therefore the review is bought", much, much different. This is libel.
THAT WAS THE FUCKING LINE!?
THAT WAS IT!?!?!

dude, close your blog, your just as bad if not worse than he is.
dude... as u said it yourself, you are no law student, now as a law student telling you... yes indeed there is a case of libel. However, I must add that chances of Konami/Famitsu successfully suing and then get a damages payout more than their court fees are very small. Hence most people do not go through the entire court process. The banhammer falling on Konami is the least form of retaliation they could have done, as opposed to what? sending a lawyer letter requesting Kotaku to cease and desist. That would have appeared even more petty.

@Abriael

yo whatever you've wrote here is mostly correct but seriously, why are u bothering defending Konami and slamming Kotaku? I mean you deft have a much more mature view then most of the forumers on interent (yes escapist inclusive), and i bet you are deft older than most of them perhaps in ur twenties? So why are u bothering arguing with forumers in their teens who will

1) never fully understand what you mean
2) insult you back in childish ways
3) attempt to argue back with flawed logics which they think is gold becuz they believe so
(and perhaps due to the fact they do not know better becuz they're still young and unexposed to the real world)
4) if 3) failed, then they repeat 2) ad infinitum

and oh btw, to answer vikeif's question requesting of proof from Konami/Famitsu. Erm actually it will be impossible to do so if Konami/Famitsu are non-guilty. Cuz logically, it is impossible to prove that something never exsisted e.g. how to prove that there isn't a pink flying elephant, all you can do is give indirect evidences e.g. i've never seen a pink elephant + i've never seen an elephant that could fly hence there is no pink flying elephant. But this logic is flawed becuz one assumption is that past experiences equates to future truths. Which is definitely not 100% all the time.

(ok sorry for the lame example, but there is a point)

Hence, burden of proof lies on the accuser and NOT of the defendant. Konami/Famitsu should not have to make any statements stating their innocence (assuming they are, the law always does, innocent until proven) due to someone making a statement without proof.

and lastly, about opinions in newspaper. to tell you the truth, most of them have an element of libel. just that most companies/politicians do not choose to correct every single breaches due to 1) image issue and 2) cost. Ever so rarely do such libel cases follow thru. But to give you what constitutes libel (at least from where i came from), even calling people "idiot" in a public area and if the victim of said name calling can show that other people who do not know him/her heard that and hence may form a bias opinion abt him/her, will succeed in the case (as it is virtually to prove that someone is an "idiot" by its law definition). It takes very little to sue for libel. And yes, most journalists have been getting away with it for the longest period of time and it is even worst on the internet.

*note: yes i understand that some (if not most) may flame me by insulting forumers haha... i apologize if i offended you. But Abriael, u noe what? i won't even bother replying here for like i said, most prob the replies will be in line with my 4 steps of forum responses (hence my low post counts). So my suggestion to you is this. Take your peace somewhere else, u don't have to prove a point with them.

Don't argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you by experience.
That comment wasn't "It isn't Libel." but more as "Your really getting offended by that?" I mean Yahtzee has said worse things about companies (one on the silent hill reviews.) and no one banning escapist from what ever the fuck it is said company does. I seriously just want to know were the proof is that konami/Famitsu didn't run afoul, surely a REAL reviewing magazine would have given not one a counter article by now or a full dump of proof they didn't...
OR he can realize it not worth trying to defend large money drinking company (as i stated earlier) and just leave and finish letting me fuck with the trolls.

Abriael

Dec 4, 2003
vikeif said:
That comment wasn't "It isn't Libel." but more as "Your really getting offended by that?" I mean Yahtzee has said worse things about companies (one on the silent hill reviews.) and no one banning escapist from what ever the fuck it is said company does. I seriously just want to know were the proof is that konami/Famitsu didn't run afoul, surely a REAL reviewing magazine would have given not one a counter article by now or a full dump of proof they didn't...
OR he can realize it not worth trying to defend large money drinking company (as i stated earlier) and just leave and finish letting me fuck with the trolls.
Asking to prove that something that didn't happen actually didn't happen is a contradiction. That's why the burden of proof is always on the accuser.

I didn't see the review by Yahtzee you're talking about, but normally his statements aren't libelous. Even if he did some (again, I have to trust your words), him getting away with it doesn't make it any less wrong.

Many criminals get away with their crimes without getting jailed. This doesn't make their crimes acceptable.

vikeif

Sep 22, 2008
Abriael said:
vikeif said:
Asking to prove that something that didn't happen actually didn't happen is a contradiction. That's why the burden of proof is always on the accuser.

I didn't see the review by Yahtzee you're talking about, but normally his statements aren't libelous. Even if he did some (again, I have to trust your words), him getting away with it doesn't make it any less wrong.

Many criminals get away with their crimes without getting jailed. This doesn't make their crimes acceptable.
Well if kotaku did some thing criminal,konami would send snake to kill them... or have brought out the lawyer, either way works.
Actually, you yourself said it was JUST op-ed, Yahtzee then has done nothing wrong in your line of logic, or they (like most big companies.) don't care what one reveiwer says.

Abriael

Dec 4, 2003
vikeif said:
B.) Your the one ***** that Kotaku has no proof, well where is Famitsu/Konami's? simple question and you nor I can anwser.
Actually both me and powell86 answered to this question multiple times. You just don't like the answer, but that's not our problem no?

c1.) Again with the proof, BTW how do you KNOW they don't have it?
If they had proof, they would have laid it down in their articles. They didn't.

c2.) and you the one called Ashcroft a fake reviewer...
I called him a "wannabe journalist", that's quite different. I did nothing else than laying down facts. Which is much different than throwing wild accusations.

c3.) well if they get called on it and fail they do, your the one attacking them.
I'm not "attacking". I laid down facts: 1) Kotaku had tie-ins, 2) Kotaku didn't post a full disclosures about their tie-ins. 3) Kotaku demand that other publications write a full disclosure when they have tie.ins.

Result: Does not compute

Those three things are undeniable facts, and the proof is on Kotaku's own site. I didn't imply anything further than that. There's no need to, as the sole existance of those three facts proves my point fully.

Well if kotaku did some thing criminal,konami would send snake to kill them... or have brought out the lawyer, either way works.
Actually, you yourself said it was JUST op-ed, Yahtzee then has done nothing wrong in your line of logic, or they (like most big companies.) don't care what one reveiwer says.
From what I saw yathzee has one nothing ethically wrong. This doesn't mean I will appreciate what he does or that he might not have posted something libelous that I didn't see (but somehow I doubt it). You seem not to grasp the fact that Yathzee's reviews are a completely different cup of tea compared to Ashcraft's Anti-famitsu articles.

but as powell86 aptly explained, you're just arguing for argument's sake, without taking in consideration any of the counterpoints laid before you. So it's not really worth it. Every single point you continue to bring over and over has been answered already. You may as well just go back and reread our posts.

I said what I had to.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
vikeif said:
lapan said:
If anything, i doubt that Nintendogs deserved a perfect score.
Agreed.
As long as we're busy singling out previous games we doubt deserved their perfect scores, I choose...

You know what, probably better that I don't do that here. Sounds like a topic for a different thread!

TheRocketeer said:
MGS fans (or, really, Hideo Kojima fans) are crazy about criticism. Any given gaming publication with a considerable readership would probably ratchet up the scores regardless of whether or not this kind of nepotism is actually going on.
Which means the value of the reviews is diminished regardless of whether or not there were bribes involved.

vikeif

Sep 22, 2008
Abriael said:
vikeif said:
B.) Your the one ***** that Kotaku has no proof, well where is Famitsu/Konami's? simple question and you nor I can anwser.
Actually both me and powell86 answered to this question multiple times. You just don't like the answer, but that's not our problem no?

c1.) Again with the proof, BTW how do you KNOW they don't have it?
If they had proof, they would have laid it down in their articles. They didn't.

c2.) and you the one called Ashcroft a fake reviewer...
I called him a "wannabe journalist", that's quite different. I did nothing else than laying down facts. Which is much different than throwing wild accusations.

c3.) well if they get called on it and fail they do, your the one attacking them.
I'm not "attacking". I laid down facts: Kotaku had tie-ins, Kotaku didn't post a full disclosure. Kotaku thinks other publications should write a full disclosure.

Those three things are undeniable facts, and the proof is on Kotaku's own site. I didn't imply anything further than that. There's no need to, as the sole existance of those three facts proves my point fully.
1. I didn't read to closely to powell, I'm gettig kinda cross-eyed from lack of sleep.
2. Never know, might have leak, or talking out their ass, either way it does look dubious for konami/Famitsu
3. Well Facts are also not looking good for Famitsu either, I'd have thought the same thing, but I personally would have been more suble.
4. Kotaku thinks... funny. Still They do have a point about that, though the "disclosure" is pretty dumb, It should be that if you have you hands in the creation, be proud and tell people about it, but to rate it perfect while have a rep for rarely rating things perfect is rather arrogant at the least.

Still, I'm not DEFENDING kotaku, just saying that it not worth a forum fight out, as much as you enjoy them.

Edit: Goddamnit Nappa!

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Abriael said:
John Funk said:
This is neither an argument, nor is it libel. It's pure insinuation, as evidenced by the quote that says it "appears to be bought". Legally the guy has his bases covered due to the wording - although I am bearing in mind that I'm reading a translation, so I take it with the relevant grain of salt. If he was ever to be taken to court for it, his lawyers could argue that he was not implying directly that the review was bought, but that the lack of disclosure would give the appearance that it was bought. In which case it's definitely not libel, it's an observation. Unless maybe the legal system works a little differently in Japan.

My point is, if mere insinuation constituted libel our courts would be backlogged for years. Enough insinuations are thrown around by our politicians on TV each night to put a hundred law students into full time internships.

Abriael

Dec 4, 2003
vikeif said:
Still, I'm not DEFENDING kotaku, just saying that it not worth a forum fight out, as much as you enjoy them.
Then why exactly are you posting? :D

Abriael

Dec 4, 2003
Shamanic Rhythm said:
This is neither an argument, nor is it libel. It's pure insinuation, as evidenced by the quote that says it "appears to be bought". Legally the guy has his bases covered due to the wording - although I am bearing in mind that I'm reading a translation, so I take it with the relevant grain of salt. If he was ever to be taken to court for it, his lawyers could argue that he was not implying directly that the review was bought, but that the lack of disclosure would give the appearance that it was bought. In which case it's definitely not libel, it's an observation. Unless maybe the legal system works a little differently in Japan.
Eh, not really, the use of a mild conditional doesn't really cover his bases, expecially when the idea of foul play is reiterated multiple times through a lenghty article.

It's pretty much a clear cut accusation, expecially since the fact that they didn't post a full disclosure of something that was publicly advertised in a quite big press conference does not make the score appear to be bought. Hence, the libel.

The fact that many cases of libel aren't pursued simply because it wouldn't be cost efficent to do so, doesn't mean that there are no elements of libel in play.

The cost efficent way to pursue this kind of cases is to blacklist the offending party, and that's exactly what Konami did.

This, of course, without even mentioning that the articles being actually libelous or bordering libel doesn't make much of a difference, paired with the fact that kotaku's accusations are clearly hypocritical (since they do exactly the same), I'd say is pretty safe to say that in this case Ashcraft and Kotaku are completely in the wrong.

1) Either libelous or bordering libel accusations with zero proof (depending on how you interpret the word libel)
2) Exactly the same behaviour held by Kotaku and Gawker in multiple proven occasions

1+2= Kotaku's article is a pile of smoldering sensationalistic crap that should only be frowned upon and for sure not defended.

vikeif

Sep 22, 2008
Abriael said:
vikeif said:
Then why exactly are you posting? :D
Same reason your still reply to them, can't sleep and nothing better to do.
I do enjoy a good argument and you did deliver, and you did it without going to sailor talk (I did though so no cookies for me.) but again, I'm just arguing for the hell of it really.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Kotaku USA is so out of their depth taking on the Famitsu/Konami story.

First, how can Kotaku USA act like this is surprising? Japanese business culture has a totally different set of rules and social norms than western business culture. A major part of the foundation for the modern Japanese economy is based on the business model of the keiretsu. Keiretsus being tightly related groupings of businesses, which is to say a lot of Japanese business has been founded on relationships that most westerners would balk at and consider a conflict of interest.

The Japanese concept of "conflict of interest" is probably like the Chinese concept of freedom - utterly different from our western conception. So we can ***** and moan about the perceived injustice here, and hope that Kotaku JP lights the fire that causes the entirety of Japan to reconsider it's social values, or just accept that this situation is lost in translation and few people, least of all Kotaku, will be able to interpret it in any meaningful way for the rest of us.

vikeif

Sep 22, 2008
Abriael said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Eh, not really, the use of a mild conditional doesn't really cover his bases, expecially when the idea of foul play is reiterated multiple times through a lenghty article.

It's pretty much a clear cut accusation, expecially since the fact that they didn't post a full disclosure of something that was publicly advertised in a quite big press conference does not make the score appear to be bought. Hence, the libel.

The fact that many cases of libel aren't pursued simply because it wouldn't be cost efficent to do so, doesn't mean that there are no elements of libel in play.
Well it really would be like paying your lawyer to make little timmy "take it back". besides you'd shit yourself at the number of case hinging on HOW it was worded not why.

vikeif

Sep 22, 2008
tendo82 said:

First, how can Kotaku USA act like this is surprising? Japanese business culture has a totally different set of rules and social norms than western business culture. A major part of the foundation for the modern Japanese economy is based on the business model of the keiretsu. Keiretsus being tightly related groupings of businesses, which is to say a lot of Japanese business has been founded on relationships that most westerners would balk at and consider a conflict of interest.

The Japanese concept of "conflict of interest" is probably like the Chinese concept of freedom - utterly different from our western conception. So we can ***** and moan about the perceived injustice here, and hope that Kotaku JP lights the fire that causes the entirety of Japan to reconsider it's social values, or just accept that this situation is lost in translation and few people, least of all Kotaku, will be able to interpret it in any meaningful way for the rest of us.
can't fight that, fucking US government was the biggest reason NES games kicked my ass.

Edit: *light spellcheck on fire*

Abriael

Dec 4, 2003
tendo82 said:

Eh the problem here is that east or west don't really make a difference. Give and take has been going on in the relationship between gaming industry and gaming press as long as both existed. No matter where. When I worked as a gaming journalist I had to plug my nose several times while passing near crap, and went in trouble multiple times with the editors in chief for wanting to give a "big" game a lower score than the "targeted" one. Several publishers did anything they could short of bringing me the slippers when I walked out of bed in order to try and sway me into giving them better scores. And I definitely didn't work for Famitsu.

I'm pretty sure that a big percentage of gaming journalists out there had similar experiences. Some will admit them, some will not.