Korean Engineers Create Sword-Wielding, Tai Chi Robot

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Korean Engineers Create Sword-Wielding, Tai Chi Robot

The Korean Insitute of Advanced Sciene and Technology has created a robot that seems a little bit more capable than other recent offerings.

Ok, let's be honest with each other here, robots are cool. Sure, we might make joke about Skynet, but I'm willing to bet that most of you would love to see a future filled with helpful android butlers and the robotic pets scampering around. The only problem is that real robots seem a long way off being the kind of companions that we so long for, I mean, you can't play football with a robot that can't walk faster than a crawl.

Well, Hubo isn't going to be the bot that changes all that I'm afraid, but it does seem to be a step in the right direction. He's not especially quick on his feet, and to be honest, the way it can move its fingers freaks me out a little, but it can do tai-chi and it can swing a foam sword around, and that has to count for something, right?

Lt. Commander Data he ain't, but it's a step in the right direction. If only they had given him a cheery face.

Source: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/15/kaists-hubo-shows-off-some-newfound-dexterity-hides-emotions-b/]

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Wait till they learn Krav Maga. Then we're screwed. Foam swords aren't dangerous!

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Tai Chi is meditative exercise designed to flex one's physical and mental muscles, and does this by utilizing slow moves, symbolizing the channeling of spirit energy throughout the body.

WHY DID THEY TEACH THIS TO A ROBOT???

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
Hopefully things will just keep getting more advanced, robots have so many applications.

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
Teaching sword-fighting technique to a thing that has the chance of becoming exponentially stronger than a human? Morpheus,get your shiny head over here...and bring your EMP!

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
Good, now mabie you can actually start working on the main problems of ai? (natural launguage and common sence, and maybie attempt the turing test.)

No offence to the team who worked on it, its a good job and all, but wouldnt the time have been better spent working on that rather than making a robot that can do tai chi and swing a foam sword in a set pattern and nothing else.

Harlequin_Z01

Oct 18, 2009
HardRockSamurai said:
Tai Chi is meditative exercise designed to flex one's physical and mental muscles, and does this by utilizing slow moves, symbolizing the channeling of spirit energy throughout the body.

hehe, well said. It moves nicely, I think the main advancement here is the motion of the hands. We have a couple of robots that can run, walk up and down stairs and such, but the hands on HUBO look like a step in the right direction.

What I find amusing about these videos is the difference between Western and Eastern robotics labs. Eastern videos generally just show the robot doing stuff, its all so solemn and practical. Never would you see an eastern robot video with the engineers punting their robot, or fighting it like a bull, complete with horns.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
This reminded me of only one thing....

HADOUKEN!!!!

Robots are going in a good direction indeed...

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
... Hubo just sliced his own head with that foam sword.
Twice.
We are in no danger.

(Seriously, though, t'was pretty cool)

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
HardRockSamurai said:

0.0 *gasps*

I find your carbon centric viewpoints to be very offensive. I happen to have some friends who are very computational in nature and they would be very hurt by such commentary.

OP

Um...

anyone else see the foam sword brushing over his face repeatedly?

wolfy098

May 1, 2009
dietpeachsnapple said:
HardRockSamurai said:

0.0 *gasps*

I find your carbon centric viewpoints to be very offensive. I happen to have some friends who are very computational in nature and they would be very hurt by such commentary.

OP

Um...

anyone else see the foam sword brushing over his face repeatedly?
Yeah I was about to mention it myself

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
Ok so I have a shotgun for the Zombie apocalypse, a Rocket launcher from the robot take over, a high caliber machine gun for the alien invasions, and a Dr. Hax for when the commie try to take over. Yep I'm set :D