Kotick Calls Call of Duty a Tribute to the Military

MoNKeyYy

Evidence or GTFO
Jun 29, 2010
JUMBO PALACE said:
This still doesn't make up for all the dumb shit he's already said throughout his career. Like he gives a shit about the men and women in the military. You know why they play COD? Because COD is so damn popular. I bet they play Madden to. Does Madden honor military personnel?
Hey, Madden 11 was a fine testiment to all the brave men out there every sunday risking their paycheques so that fat slobbish idiots everywhere can preserve their right to gamble on the spread.

Corohan

Mar 11, 2010
That's a lovely tribute indeed, a franchise where you slaughter countless of Germans and Russians.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
This is just a stab at Medal of Honour, saying the military has embraced it. He is 100% hate target for me.

Calumon: That's not nice. That's like eat food in front of me and not sharing! : (

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
xHipaboo420x said:
Bretty said:
I hate you.... with every ounce of my being.

The soldiers need help adjusting from their old world to the new one. I for one am happy that social responsibility is not dead in our capitalist society and that people that truly need the help can get it!
I'm not saying that they don't need adjusting, but I am saying it's their fault that they need adjusting. Perhaps my post seems a little reactionary, but ultimately if you join the military you expect (even encourage) the trauma, the alienation, and the injury.
And as we all know, those are all things that people can simply man up and shrug off. That's like telling a fireman "sorry you had to see and smell all those charred corpses, but you signed up for it, you big pussy. It's not like you wanted this job to save people or anything, so don't you dare go see a therapist".

droid

Apr 15, 2009
It isn't so much of a tribute as it is just rehashing something known to sell. Sure it isn't disrespectful but isn't anything amazing.
Would Activision have kept with Six Days in Fallujah?

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
xHipaboo420x said:
Bretty said:

The soldiers need help adjusting from their old world to the new one. I for one am happy that social responsibility is not dead in our capitalist society and that people that truly need the help can get it!
I'm not saying that they don't need adjusting, but I am saying it's their fault that they need adjusting. Perhaps my post seems a little reactionary, but ultimately if you join the military you expect (even encourage) the trauma, the alienation, and the injury.
So you don't think it is the people's responsibility to look after those who defend your nations interests?

You think we should look after those from the 1st and 2nd WWs? Vietnam? Do you think we should build memorials to those who have died or even have a day each year where we remember those who paid for our freedom's with their lives?

The point I am making is, we have all of these things and support the veterans welfare, in the end, because it is OUR duty as citizens and members of this society.

I am going to assume you are a young person that doesn't know anyone that fought, because if you did and told them what you said here, I am pretty sure they might have a few things to say to you in return.

thirion1850

Aug 13, 2008
Good for him. He still needs to go die. In a hole. Made out of flesh-eating rats.

On fire.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
If I spend a whole year punching puppies in the groin, it's not the one day that I adopt a kitten that'll buy me a ticket to Heaven.

CrazyMedic

Jun 1, 2010
xHipaboo420x said:
But do the military really deserve said high regard? Circumstantially, kind of; but ultimately not.
um sorry someone who tosses his ass into gun fire, IEDs, and spiders the size of your face while you sit safe and sound at home, even if you don't think war is right or the war in iraq or what ever war you mention the fact is, people are gonna want to kill other people so if you decide "I think war is wrong so I will let my country be taken over" is just kinda a bum argument.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Such a grand gesture and yet it still carries a stink even Scrooge McDuck would pull out an air freshener for. All the same that fund is doing a good thing. It is good to see more effort done for vets by the regular citizens of the US than what was done 40 years ago. (As in not much if anything at all besides spitting in their faces. Not good times.)
Luftwaffles said:
Medal of Honor did more towards actually depicting what people did during the Gulf War and yet it still gets less love than CoD......
That's kind of an odd statement since Medal of Honor takes place in Afghanistan long after the Gulf War.
xHipaboo420x said:
Bretty said:

So maybe we shouldn't do anything to help them since they brought it upon themselves? That kind of logic is self-serving and apathetic beyond belief where you openly state you really believe nothing should be done for those who serve to defend our nations."
Good job, here's a pat on the back! Now go try to get back into civilian life under your own power." We tried that attitude with the vets coming home from the Vietnam War. You might do good by reading up on where most of them are today. Spoiler: Most are permanently in VA Hospitals, Mental Hospitals, or Assisted Living Homes with zero hope of ever being able to be independent in their normal lives. Many have died well before their time because of suicide or lack of will because nobody would help them. I call that a travesty beyond belief where more than just the government is responsible.
Firefighters, police, EMT's, and other civil services also put themselves in harm's way to keep people safe, and many of them come away from their experiences with mental and emotional trauma, most of which are equitable to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Shell Shock. Should they also be deprived of help from their fellow citizens because they expect to be dealing with such things? NO.
Feel free to express your opinion, but don't whine when nobody bothers to step up for you when you try to do something noteworthy for other people. As that is just what you expect should be expected as you have stated.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
*cough* bullshit *cough*

Charitable donations are a lot more appreciated when not followed up by PR flim-flam.
Kotick's a CEO. Narcissistic Personality Disorder is a prerequisite for holding the position.

MorteSphere

Jul 8, 2009
He should stop talking, as every time he opens his mouth, everyone hates him a bit more. Ironically, saying this seems like an insult to veterans.

Also pretty funny because I'm sure the CoD games encourage a few of the thicker of the youth to join the military.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Hmmmm... not so impressed Mr. Kotick.

By saying that the game respects the bravery of soldiers, Kotick and Activision have pretty much stated that they're playing it safe, keeping away from controversy. I, personally, really want to see a game that challenges such war; Not the soldier's themselves, but rather the political motivation behind such wars, and there has not been a single mainstream (or otherwise, for that matter) game that I know of that has genuinely challenged the morals behind modern wars.

By using the cold war as a setting, Activision/Treyarch had a brilliant opportunity to really create something with a political message. the Vietnam War, for example, was an extremely controversial and highly unpopular war, which was extremely costly, both financially and in terms of human life for both sides and ended up, almost inarguably, in American defeat.

Think of it in movie terms - patriotic movies of heroism of our own side, while can make for some cool action scenes, don't really 'stir the pot' - it's movies that make a serious political statement, films like Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket and Jarhead, films that make us question our own righteousness, that really stick in people's minds.

I want to see the 'Apocalypse Now' of gaming, and Bobby Kotick has pretty much confirmed that Black Ops won't be it.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
A nice gesture...but i have a sinking feeling that's mainly to try and get away from his reputation as being an incessant dick.