Kotick Calls Call of Duty a Tribute to the Military

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, sure thing Kotick...

(1:12)

I think that the cause is positively admirable and I truly revere those in Military Service. Aiding Military personal reacclimate to civilian life is crucial and a responsibility to be taken seriously.

But Call of Duty as a "tribute" to the Military? Um, excuse me Kotick, but didn't Modern Warfare 2 feature a snowmobile chase, a random airport slaying that contributed nothing to the swiss cheese plot, and Russian soldiers parachuting into American suburbs and fast food restaurants?

Given Bobby Kotick's failure at PR, I'm surprised at the end he didn't throw in "Plus there's the write-off!"

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Don't mix up real soldiers and real war with video game soldiers and video game wars. Call of Duty is fun, cool and entertaining, real war is anything but. Quit trying to pretend like it's realistic. For as long as it's actually a fun game to play, it will not be anywhere close to realistic, not that I'd want it to be.

The charity thing is kind of cool though, I guess.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
Luftwaffles said:
Medal of Honor did more towards actually depicting what people did during the Gulf War and yet it still gets less love than CoD......
That's kind of an odd statement since Medal of Honor takes place in Afghanistan long after the Gulf War.
Umm... do you live under a rock? There were at least 8 Medal of Honor games before the new one that is set in Afghanistan. I know a lot were WWII, not sure about the Gulf War, but really, did you not know that there were a ton of other Medal of Honor games?

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
PR trick.

Just trying to make the public see him as a good guy so he can keep slaughtering the videogame industry. And by calling MW2 as a tribute to veterans just enforces the fact how he thinks about gamers.

JacobPlackett

Oct 25, 2008
If COD is a tribute to the Military, then rape is a tribute to the creation of life.

Also, don't, like MOST of your characters DIE in MW2? Surely, then, he's saying that they are so bad at their job they can't survive a single mission. Good job Kotick, you fucking retard.

fKd

Jun 3, 2010
bobby, how dare you use the troops to peddle some games, fucking shame on you.

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
It is a tribute to some extent, at least the first ones were, you know? Before the big arse cashins?

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Kekon3 said:
I read this and the words, "MEDAL OF HONOR REBOOT" are in my mind
I read the first paragraph and thought the same thing. At least MoH was kind of aiming at that, and letting everyone know about it, using real soldiers and their experiences to help make the game, and then have a lengthy tribute at the end of the game. IMO, Kotick just seems to be throwing words out there to be used for quotes and sound bits to make himself look better.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
Bretty said:
xHipaboo420x said:
But do the military really deserve said high regard? Circumstantially, kind of; but ultimately not.
I hate you.... with every ounce of my being.

The soldiers need help adjusting from their old world to the new one. I for one am happy that social responsibility is not dead in our capitalist society and that people that truly need the help can get it!
Indeed, I bet he considers himself an intellectual too. Actually, I've developed a drinking game for people like him. For every article or post where someone talks about the military with even a bit of positivity, count until you get the first post like that one. Written by someone on a horse so high they mounted it from the top of a house. Count the number of posts before that and take a 1 sip or gulp (your choice) of whatever it is you are drinking for every post. Guaranteed that it will take a long time to get smashed. They pop up fast.

fKd

Jun 3, 2010
Del-Toro said:
Indeed, I bet he considers himself an intellectual too. Actually, I've developed a drinking game for people like him.
this statement is so incredible! god i hope you are being sarcastic

anti-intellectualism, just another nail in the coffin of america imo.

SushiJaguar

Sep 12, 2010
Now, some might say our boy here is trollin'. He's not. The Modern Warfare storyline is so accurate, it's insane. Footsoldiers go in, engage the enemy, get fucked up, call for support, are told to suck it up.

That's a real tribute, right there.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Trying to gain publicity and I guess he finally realized his position on the dick scale.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
fKd said:
Del-Toro said:
Indeed, I bet he considers himself an intellectual too. Actually, I've developed a drinking game for people like him.
this statement is so incredible! god i hope you are being sarcastic

anti-intellectualism, just another nail in the coffin of america imo.
I'm actually very well read in a diverse number of topics (and I mean real books, not on the internet) and am very academically strong. A few people consider me an intellectual. I ask them not to, but there you go. Plus, I'm Canadian.

Now, that you are over your world being blown, I should clarify that I'm not against smart people. I just don't care for the type who call themselves intellectuals (actually, I've found that the self proclaimed intellectuals rarely actually are) and the go around talking like it gives them some extra insight on any given topic. It applies here because no matter what the topic, if it involves the military, someone will try to politicize it like that guy did, even if it is in no way warranted. Like here. Of course, he could have just been trolling. If that's the case then it seems to have worked.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
American servicemen? What about all the Australian, Canadian and British soldiers who die in the Call of Duty games?

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
awesomeClaw said:
This doesn´t change what a massive cock he is, but at least he´s a charitable cock. That counts for something in my book.
Yeah...

@ Kotick,

You are **** sir, plain and simple. But at least you're doing something good with it.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
As much as I hate Mr. Kotick, I can't help but to praise his subtle manner of saying "yeah, Medal of Honor sucks".
How does medal of honour suck?
Yeah the new game is a ripoff of CoD, but If you think Moh sucks I seriously doubt you have played Allied or Pacific Assault. The Moh games were around long before CoD and they depicted the horrible conditions of war long before fucking Kotick and co.
Battlefield does war better than both in my opinion but still, Medal of honour is ten times better than Call of Duty.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
It seems to be missing quite a bit in terms of realism and a depiction of the military. It's missing a lot of hurry up and wait, a lot of boring training that doesn't really deal with what you have to work on or with, tent cities, missing family members special days, missing holidays, etc, etc.

I like the idea of the organization, but I don't think that 1000 transitioning members a year is enough.

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
awesomeClaw said:
This doesn´t change what a massive cock he is, but at least he´s a charitable cock. That counts for something in my book.
A charitable cock, of course, except to the people who make him all that throwaway money, a little pair of something called "developers" and "customers."

Something about stagnating the industry to "help American troops" strikes me as very typical Kotic.