L.a. Noire probably wont sell.

easternflame

Cosmic Rays of Undeadly Fire
Nov 2, 2010
Your argument is invalid. Not because I'm a hardcore RPG fan I won't buy a shooter or a new concept. It's just dumb. It's a game, if you needed to be a fan to play a game then new genres would have never existed

SiskoBlue

Monk
Aug 11, 2010
Somehow I think Rockstar have a better idea of what will sell than you. Basic things to know

1. They always try new things, that's why there's no sequels as such but iterations of the GTA theme. Even their DLC avoid using the same characters mostly (except John Marston in Undead Nightmare).

2. Rockstar have a clever and polished marketing campaign. If you go on most game websites you'll find TONS of advertising for it (IGN is driving me nuts with it). This is the time to market to hard-core gamers as they like pre-ordering, they like knowing before others. ON THE WEEK OF RELEASE you will see a massive newspaper, billboard/poster, TV marketing campaign. And probably every TV guide will have a piece on it. The game is coming out/out that week so that's when you blast the horn. They did the same with RDR last year.

3. Regardless of what people EXPECT it to be, or try to pigeon-hole it into a genre, Rockstar attempt to make their games enjoyable first, not as fan service to a niche crowd. I'm sure there will be idiots who thought it would be 1950s GTA but the fact it's not CALLED GTA will probably help them realise it's different. Rockstar care about quality. It will be a quality game.

4. If you HAD been following it you'd know it's pretty damn gritty. Nude dead women, based on real murder cases. You can bet this will come out in the media the week of release. The game won't be marketed as cheesey, it will appear hard-core and R-rated.

5. A majority of the production was done in the Team Bondi office in Sydney. It's a smaller office, the cost of the game won't have been as high as a CoD.

So don't worry, they'll be fine.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I don't know about it being a fail. I wasn't really interested until I saw the trailers for it. Now I'm in "gotta have it" mode.
Also, which GOTY award are people talking about? there's no "set" GOTY crown in this industry.

BlueSinbad

Oct 18, 2010
It's a Team Bondi game in conjunction with Rockstar Games........
and I'll be getting it along with Brink, because it's just bin mah birfdaaaayyyyy! :D
and having birthday money to spend just rocks(tar) :)
and if I don't like them within a week, trade in time!
I love the system we have :)

daft punk fan

Nov 16, 2010
Even if it doesn't sell to good Rockstar is making a new game which is most likely a new GTA so if they lose money on l.a. Noire (which probably wont happen)they can regain much more later.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Its got Rockstar stamped on the front, and screenshots kind of look like GTA in the 40s.

It'll sell.

pulse2

May 10, 2008
I like it, I think it looks awesome, I'm worried it will be too linear, but I'm not worried about it having incredible amounts of replay value, just to see how other things turn out.

My concern is that if a game can be completed successfully following strategy guides and youtube videos, then it kind of defeats the purpose, people will just have to avoid using them, but if they are trophy whores, I can't see that happening.

DarkShadow144

Nov 16, 2010
I may be just an oddity, but as someone who would classify himself as a "Hardcore RPG fan" I cant wait for L.A. Noire. It is the 2nd of my top 3 most anticipated games of 2011. 3rd was Brink(I weep for it and Bethesda) now its Skyrim(Lets hope they do it right) 2nd is L.A. Noire, and 1st is (of course) Mass Effect 3.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
It's a Rockstar game, I'm sure it will sell just fine.
Rockstar seem to have....Story well played out...

So I dont think it will suffer...

Also I like the "RPG/JRPG: No"

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Um, "hardcore" anything fans are an incredibly small market. Hence the huge, huge, HUGE popularity of "casual" games.

It doesn't really interest me, personally, but I expect it'll sell pretty well.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Why do you think that hardcore fps fans only like FPSs? It doesn't work that way. We like all sorts of genres as well! In fact, generalizing people about who likes what will get you nowhere.

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
Well consider this, it's a R* game, that will have a big impact on sales, then, it's something new, which will add to the number of sales, also add the crowd THINKING it's a open world shooter, they will later be the haters of the game, and then well... the guys interested in this kind of games, I'd say many Heavy Rain veterans will look into this game.

All in all, I'd say this game will sell best on Ps3, being a SP game in these time with PSN being down, also Ps3 gamers tend to like a wider range of games, while 360 gamers... well lets see what most 360 games are about, a space marine shooting aliens, the majority of them wont find this to be their cup of tea. I'd say it's anyones bet if it's gonna sell good or not.

Riesel87

May 2, 2011
OutrageousEmu said:
ToonLink said:
This may be my fanboyism speaking here, but LA Noire is going to be game of the year. I can almost guarantee it.
Okay, no. Its good, I will give you that. Very very good, on any other year it would sweep the GOTYs. But 2011? This year? No, Uncharted 3 has that in the bag.
how can you say whats going to be GOTY without even playing them? Uncharteds are always decent but they aint GOTY games and without playing it you just never know what may happen. I think Gears3 will win it tbh, but to have such confidance on the matter before the games are even out is a bit naive.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
L.A Noire looks like a real next-gen adventure game in the line of Monkey Island, so, it should do OK.

MrJoyless

May 26, 2010
To be honest, the game has yet to look at all interesting to me.

If it gets good reviews from my trusted sources ill probably pick it up but otherwise...probably not.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Riesel87 said:
OutrageousEmu said:
ToonLink said:
This may be my fanboyism speaking here, but LA Noire is going to be game of the year. I can almost guarantee it.
Okay, no. Its good, I will give you that. Very very good, on any other year it would sweep the GOTYs. But 2011? This year? No, Uncharted 3 has that in the bag.
how can you say whats going to be GOTY without even playing them? Uncharteds are always decent but they aint GOTY games and without playing it you just never know what may happen. I think Gears3 will win it tbh, but to have such confidance on the matter before the games are even out is a bit naive.
Uncharted 2 was GotY, and don't forget Skyrim, InFamous 2, FEAR 3, Resistance 3