LaBeouf: It's My Fault Indiana Jones 4 Was No Good

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
I do not think that Shia was problem. The only thing they shouldn't had done is show us the alien. I mean, in The Last Crusade, they find the Holy Grail but we are not shown Jesus. Same deal here.

How can you go wrong with a movie about a guy who survives a nuclear blast with a fridge? The only silly moment was the Tarzan one but again, that wasn't Shia's fault. The movie is 3rd best for me. I cannot get over how stupid Spielberg's wife acted in the jungle during the second one.

Let us not forget that there are not many franchises that are consistently good. Indiana Jones is one of these. It stayed above par with every entry and avoided the '3rd movie always sucks' trap hole.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Its not his fault that toyboy Lucas decided to throw so much shitty and pointless CGI into the movie.

No, I don't hold it against Shia, its Lucas who is wrong.

danfrancis83

May 16, 2010
Its not his fault. Spielberg said they had great script from Frank Darabont (Shawshank Redemption). This was thrown out by Lucas who wrote his own, this is the source of the rubbish wiriting.
I agree with other posts, Lucas is BAD.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, at least I can now rest in the mind that they didnt even like it either...

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
It was alright, not as good as the others, but it wasn't bad. That was not his fault, it was George Franchisiside Lucas's.

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
You know what? I've always quite liked the 4th Indiana Jones film. From what I can see, most people criticise the film greatly because of the inclusion of aliens. But you people are forgetting something. The first one has ghosts. GHOSTS. The second one has sacred stones and super powers. The third one has the holy grail, substantial healing holy water and a 900 year old man. But aliens? The only one in the list that's even remotely plausible? That's way over the line! The only other complaint (forgetting the concept and focusing on the execution) is that Harrison Ford is old.

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
It's not ENTIRELY your fault. But you contributed. So yeah, we can hit with some blame. Enjoy it.

(Now if only he could apologize for Transformers 2).

Typhron

Dec 17, 2008
DEFINITELY not Shia's fault. But I can see what he's trying to do here.

Setting the bar exceptionally high is something we all do from time to time. (Hell, it's why some of us try so damn hard). It's no surprise to see someone kicking themselves after they feel to meet that expectation. If anything he should keep trying to act, and continue to work on his acting if he feels like he's not doing a good enough job. I've always been a fan of seeing him progress.

Not even going to blame George Lucas's writing here, since there is/are worse writers to follow. He's still a great movie writer, just one that comes with spastic bouts of what the nelly mid-plot. Like James Cameron (OFFTOPIC: Why did Jake's Avatar and Quarith's mech fight to the death large combat knifes?). And it's too easy nowadays because he's been at it for so long. Iunno.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
The problem I had with IJ4 was that it tried too hard to be a family film.

I Max95

Mar 23, 2009
Darkside360 said:
I didn't hate the movie, but I agree it wasn't as good as the previous ones.

ones?
i hated temple of doom it was the worst one
i couldnt tell what was going on why was short round their who was this chick who was their how are either of them signifigant
temple of doom was full of useless shit
at least in the others all characters at least mattered

i liked indy 4 it was a good return to the feel of the originals while still adding some flair
though shia lebouf was the worst part of the movie

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
I agree with him, LaBeouf was a major part of what was wrong with that movie. However, he wasn't all that was wrong with it. Riding a nuclear blast in a fridge? Aliens? The decision to write in a son that was both contrived and predictable from the start of the movie? Everyone involved gets a share of the blame, including Harrison Ford, who was about 10 years too old for this movie.

PapaJupe

Jul 31, 2006
GuideBot said:
I pretty much stand by south parks take on all this.

However, Shia's recent form has trebled my respect for him.
I still stand by the idea that South Park was not making fun of the movie, but making fun of all the fanboys who acted like it was the end of the world when Indy 4 didn't live up to their completely unrealistic expectations. I mean when Indy 4 came out, there was more fanboy tears than when Christopher Reeve died.
I know I am in the minority here, but I just can see the South Park guys being so emo over a movie.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Indy 4 was... okay. Significantly better than most movies, but not up to par with the originals, but it ends up making a LOT more sense when you learn why Lucas and Spielberg wrote it the way they wrote it. With the first three films they were attempting to capture the essence of adventure films in the 30's; when they shifted Indy 4 to the 50's they tried to "update" it to the kind of science fiction films that were popular in the 50's, like This Island Earth, Night of the Blood Beast, and other films MST3K has eaten for breakfast.

If you take it more as one of those kinds of movies it almost makes more sense, but... they still were trying to make it Indiana Jones, which isn't anything like that. Those 50's sci-fi flicks weren't meant to question the existence or involvement of aliens in the plot so much as assume there were aliens and ask how they and people would react to one another. Indiana Jones is about discovery and racing against the bad guys to snag the treasure. You can't make the aliens the treasure and have both the things that make those different kinds of stories work. It sucks the mystery out of the treasure side and flat-out ignores the human-alien interaction side, leaving a very predictable movie.

That's why Indy 4 didn't work. The CGI didn't thrill me, but it's always been a particularly goofy franchise. Never mind the indulgent scenes with LaBeauf swinging along with monkeys and getting the crap knocked out of his crotch while swordfighting on two jeeps--that's par for the course here. It's the mix of contradicting genres that's really the problem.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
wasalp said:
its good to see a star that's this level headed...my opinion on LaBeouf has changed I now have respect for him. The movie wasn't horrible but it wasn't as great.
Level headed? Judgeing by this and what he said about Transformers a few days ago, it seems more like he is going through depression :p

wasalp

Dec 22, 2008
Gimmi. A. Burger said:
wasalp said:
its good to see a star that's this level headed...my opinion on LaBeouf has changed I now have respect for him. The movie wasn't horrible but it wasn't as great.
Level headed? Judgeing by this and what he said about Transformers a few days ago, it seems more like he is going through depression :p
details details :p

Oinodaemon

Apr 9, 2009
I blame LaBeouf not at all. I blame spielberg...I thought Shia did a pretty good job with the material he was presented.

aeros320

Dec 25, 2008
Darkside360 said:
I didn't hate the movie, but I agree it wasn't as good as the previous ones.

Its like Star Wars Episode 2 for me. Didn't hate it, but it had plenty of cringe worthy moments.
How do you not hate Attack of the Clones? It's one of the worst movies ever.