Laboring at The Escapist

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
I hope to someday be a journalist, since I have about given up (or seen sense) on trying to get into the game design world. So, I hope to get a nice journalism degree, and maybe get a job at a website (since magazines and newspapers will probably be dead). But a game journalist would be like a dream come true.
So, I really appriciate this article giving insight into what you guys look for.
And here are my anwsers:
1. It is a tough, but I would have to say Fallout 3. It is a great blend of the FPS genre and roleplaying. It has some problems, but it is still one of the great games of 2008.
2. My first thought was "ZOMBIES!!!", there is a reason why I sleep with The Zombie Survival Guide under my pillow.
3. Definitely Star Wars. If you watch the old (original) star trek, and when they are shot either by the klingons or some other undiscovered species, the shields collapse extremely quickly. There is no way that Federation vessels could stand up against an imperial fleet for more than a few minutes, maybe hours if the fleet is very large.
4. I say Kirk, Picard is cool, and definitely the second best captain in Star Trek history, but Kirk has his wits, and is not afraid to bend the rules for the good of his crew/ship or the Federation.
5. I choose LEGO, I liked designing my own contraptions, I have played with LEGOs ever since I was big enough not to immediately eat them.

Silver Scribbler

Aug 5, 2009
I felt both incredibly awesome and a little ashamed that I could easily answer all those questions. Even #6, although I can't currently recall what it's from. Working for the escapist does seem to be a bit of a dream job, although sadly my gingerness would probably prohibit me from living in Australia! 'Till they develop factor 1000 sun cream that is...

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
Glefistus said:
My question isn't how to get a job at the Escapist, it's how the hell the Escapist makes any money considering minimal advertising on the site.
You are the only forum poster in the history of The Escapist to complain to us about not having ENOUGH advertising on this site.

Glefistus, you are officially my hero.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I thought this article would fill me with dread, but it instead filled me with hope. I actually thought the number of initial applications would've been higher, and it's really nice to have the process explained in detail.

Also, you reminded me of how much I love Pictionary and how it's been a really long time since I've played.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
RAKtheUndead said:
3: All depends on how rigid the physics are of the universe that they're fighting in. In the case that the spacecraft of both factions conform to the physics of their own universes, the Empire would win easily. However, in a realistic universe, where all of these limitations [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.100198#1554585] apply, the Federation becomes a hell of a lot more powerful. I mean, how much bloody energy does it take to move a Star Destroyer, let alone a Super Star Destroyer or a Death Star? And that's before I get into heat venting problems or the disadvantages of gross size or ridiculously large crews. Don't think that the Federation would get off scot-free in a realistic universe either, though; any space agency which needs to get into sighting range to fight is just going to get hammered by a proper space military, like the one I outline here. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.105011#1676674]

(This is the point where my obsession with realism would have me kicked out the door by The Escapist's giant mechanical boot.)
Obsession with realism, desire to be a know-it-all buzzkill...one or the other, yeah.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
I remember my main question was having to do with time management. It ended up that going to grad school full time, with an internship, a part time job AND being an EQ2 guild leader and two maxed out toons worked to my advantage.

Archon's next question: "Do you sleep?" My answer: "My guild is named Sleep Disorder".

I've been here ever since :)

Delmar Wynn

Nov 12, 2002
I think my son (8 at the time) is really how I got the job. He and Alex had a lightsaber duel in the office, while I was talking to Jason and Whitney on a project they were launching.

TheGreenGoblin

Jun 4, 2009
1. Batman: Arkham Asylum. Lots of games made it clear I was "controlling" Batman or "helping" Batman get through levels. This game, through sight, sound, atmosphere, and...Bat...man...ic feats was the first to ever make me feel like I AM Batman. In fact, that's my review of the game. You're Batman and it's AWESOME.

2. My answer was "Another Call of Duty Sequel." Yahtzee will probably hate it.

3. Are we talking an Empire not beleaguered by rebel forces? Because all the Federation would have to do is sit on their thumbs until Luke blows up the Death Star (OMG Spoiler!). And are we talking Federation with our without the Klingon Empire? Remember, the original trilogy came out before the Klingons got frisky with the Federation--that's all TNG stuff.

Original Star Trek would lose to the Empire. Next Generation would have Klingon warbirds as allies and that means cloaking technology. It MIGHT turn the war in the Federation's favor, it might not. The Sith can point out life using the force and beat cloaks, but they can't be everywhere at once.

Hmmm...Palpatine corrupts Klingon officials and makes them Empire. Empire wins.

4. Picard was a better captain. Kirk fraked the Prime Directive and anything else that seemed to have female genitalia. (Section 6? Totally looks like boobs.) Impressive, but not a command example. I'd follow Picard. I'd want to be Kirk.

5. Lego. You can make ANYTHING, even stuff that doesn't exist. You can also simulate battle damage.

6. ...is Half the Hassle. Oyeah, MC Chris album. Nerdier than thou. But of course, in the formality of a job interview I'd just say it was half the battle.

I'm ready for my interview, Archon. Need a Trade Show Coordinator?

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
This was an excellent read, I find it absolutely fascinating how different types of business operate.

Since everyone seems to be doing this, I'll do it too. XD

1. Can't have a favourite, too many games to choose from. Of all time though, I'd have to say Super Mario World on the Snes. Can I hear you say "Platform Perfection!" ?
2. The aftermath of a Dokapon Kingdom session. (The effect this game has on people is much stronger than that of any old virus!)
3. It depends on whether we're talking space battle, or general war. If it was just a battle in space, it could go eiter way, but in terms of war, I think the Empire would win.
4. Picard, no question! Not only is he a complete badass, he's also played by one of my favourite actors. (BTW, Patrick is awesome in theatre too, saw him play Claudius at a production of Hamlet, it BLEW MY FREAKIN' MIND!)
5.LEGO.It perfectly compliments my outlandish conciousness. Now you mention LEGO, I really want to build a LEGO model of a hydrogen collider.
6. GGGGIIIIIIJJJOOOOOEEEE!

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
1. Trials HD. Although I'm quickly burning out after a week and a half of non-stop banging my head against walls. Disclaimer: This is not meant to be construed as an indication of my all-time favorite game, a conversation that would not fit within a reasonable forum post, nor a standard sized interview.

2. My first thought was outbreak. My second thought was zombie outbreak. In an interview with the Escapist, given my general perception that they would be less testing my logical processes, and more gauging my creativity/sense of humor, I would say, out loud, zombie outbreak.

3. Star Wars: based on an article I read a while ago detailing theoretical power comparisons between the Federation's shields/weapons and the Empire's shields/weapons, the Empire is just on a different scale altogether from the Federation, and would mop the floor with them. Death Star > Borg Cube, even, and the Federation can barely handle that thing.

4. Picard. Partly due to being a TNG fan, but also just because I respect Picard. Reading your analysis of the two options, I definitely felt I meshed with what you would think of me, given my answer. I would much rather work for Picard than for Kirk, and I hold no aspirations to be management.

5. Lego. But let me clarify... I love Lego, but just the following directions portion. I would take them, and build the set as directed, and then play with the final product. I love Lego more out of an inherent enjoyment in knowing how things go together, than any sort of creative impulse to create. (Thus explaining why my favorite Lego set is a giant Technic sports car with functioning transmission, independent-rear suspension, drive shaft and pistons)

6. Go JOE!

Anyway...

I'm always eager to go read the new job listings posted for the Escapist, and always disappointed that I simply lack the skill set for any of them. I am not a web developer, and I am not a writer. I am just a dude with a business degree and a heavy focus on Info Tech (minor in CompSci), who has spent the last 3 years gathering requirements for, designing, and testing custom web apps, with a heavy dose of bureaucratic paperwork. Depressing to think that the kind of place I think I'd really enjoy working is the kind of place that has no need for me.

P2

Sep 4, 2009
If the Escapist looks for experience in new interviewee's resumes, where could some one start off before here? I would really like to get into the industry, I's just finding that the hardest part is finding the starting line.

drakenabarion

Demiurge
Sep 11, 2009
Lol, just looking over this again: writing documents that could be used in the public domain would be so much sweeter than writing "Private and Confidential" ones. (Private and confidential does not mean interesting by any stretch of the imagination)

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Also, in terms of question three, this seems a fitting enough response [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4ijDlbvAxw].

Susan Arendt said:
It's not just about being qualified for the job, it's also about meshing well with the rest of the team. We watch all sorts of sci-fi here - ok, I'm not sure we have an Andromeda fan in the house, but we have rabid BSG, Dr. Who, and Stargate fans aplenty - but a sneering dismissal of Trek wouldn't stand you in particularly good stead.
While I'm fine choosing between Kirk over Picard, for those that aren't very much into Star Trek, would it be okay if they chose a captain of a different series? Someone earlier mentioned Firefly, so I take it if they said "I much more prefer Captain Malcom Reynolds" would they be good? Or would it be a bad sign because they'd be too damn rebellious under your authority.

Or maybe The Escapist is the free-flying group of smugglers in the world of oppressive games journalism empirialism?

Hrm.

EDIT: Is there ANYONE that likes Andromeda?

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
1. The answer to this question is always Portal, and always will be.

2. My guess would be an attack by super villains trying to get a hold of an experimental anti-super villain virus the Fed decided to hide in a normal hospital because "no one would suspect it there." Because the good guys are always dumb.

3. In the short term, the Empire would win. Fascist governments are very good at blitzing initially because of their top-down command of resources and men. But if the war went on for a few years, the Federation would eventually come out on top. It's a republican society so it's better at keeping moral high, even after terrible defeats: people are fighting for their personal freedoms, not the will of a Supreme Leader. It's going to be hard for the Empire to keep new Storm Troopers loyal if they keep hearing that the last batch got decimated by phaser fire in a suicide mission.

Yes, I know the Empire has the Force. But the Federation has temporary Klingon allies. Sorry, Vader, but no contest. Qapla'!

4. It has to be Kirk AND Picard, depending on the situation. If you have time to study and communicate with something before it tries to kill you, Picard's your man. The info you gather will help you fight the thing's offspring in the future. But if you're being attacked by, let's say, an army of giant rubber lizards, you need someone to shoot first, dissect the bodies later, and Kirk is certainly the king of that realm.

I want holographic avatars of both waiting in the wings, with two holographic emitters. I'm not going up against Darth Vader's Star Destroyer without options, no matter how many temporary Klingon allies are on board.

5. Old Lego sets or new Lego sets? If it's old Lego sets with hundreds of pieces, I'll go with Legos. If it's new Lego sets, I'll finish them in 2 minutes and then jump on the puzzle.

Now I just need to finish a bachelor's degree and I'm a shoe-in! ...Or finish my technical training and keep up with my critic's blog.

I think I'll stick with the second. I don't give myself deadlines, and I let myself swear as much as I want. No offense, Escapist.

elexis

just another guy
Mar 17, 2009
I don't reckon I'd get a job but I do think that the Final Test would make the basis for a great video series. :)

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
I am in the last semester of my Writing major, and am pushing my GPA steadily upwards towards a Distinction (also known as a "2") through my Media major, which has already begun. And so far, I have enjoyed three of my letters to the editor being published in The Escapist, so I know something about the industry.

Unfortunately, living in Australia may exclude me from applicability to this offer, since it seems the magazine is based in the US.* Nevertheless, I will have a go with the questions.

1. Fallout 3 for PS3 is my current favourite. It is one of two games in my room with a Platinum Trophy sitting proudly on the Internet and my profile. It's unfortunate to say that I have missed out on all the brilliant mods created for the game since my PC is lacking in high requirements. However, I do keep myself jacked in to industry news, so I am aware of the biggest releases on all other systems.

2. Starcraft III just got cancelled due to hardcore alien sex scenes making it unclassifiable. Therefore, all of the news is from Seoul, Korea.

3. The Federation would win, because their technology, particularly concerning teleportation, would allow instant retreats whenever the battle is not going their own way. Similarly, on a personal level, the power of instinct (The Force) is not enough to beat Dr Spock's logic. However, and I'm aware that this is not relevant to the question: The Doctor would outsmart the lot of them.

4. Kirk. I can be a follower, but I shine most in a leadership position, or anywhere where my voice is heard and I can fight a battle of words.

5. A thousand-piece puzzle would suit my quasi-masochistic approach to life and gaming. I'd finish it, too. Determination creates the ultimate achievements, and who wants to get something less glorious?

* However, I could be wrong, since I see the team is quite international, and an exception has been made for someone Australian based with a name starting with "Y". He Who Shall Not Be Named, For I Am Too Jealous.

elexis

just another guy
Mar 17, 2009
Silva said:
* However, I could be wrong, since I see the team is quite international, and an exception has been made for someone Australian based with a name starting with "Y". He Who Shall Not Be Named, For I Am Too Jealous.
There are also several episodes of Doomsday Arcade where I swear I have seen the locations around Melbourne.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Glefistus said:
Why Kirk or Picard for that matter. Sure, they were the best, but Janeway was ok. Also, that seems a little silly to me to base someone's team working skills on a Star Trek preference question.
Gonna admit, after half a season of Voyager I gave up on Star Trek as a television series. And I was still a kid then. I go back as an adult and...let's just say it's not my thing.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Our office is based in Durham, North Carolina. We have contributors from all over the world, but our HQ and core staff are American.