Ladies, how about you?

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
APersonHere said:
Also it's funny to see men get so upset when one suggests a woman might be able to beat them in a fight. Oh Diddums.
Sorry, but how many posters here have ACTUALLY said that NO woman could beat them in a fight? You're contributing to the casual sexism too.
It's not really that, It's like the minute you suggest a woman could be strong and defeat an equally trained man there is a rush to deny it like it will threaten your entire world view or something.

Why does it matter, It's not like 90% of games are realistic anyway.

APersonHere

Mar 12, 2013
It's not really that, It's like the minute you suggest a woman could be strong and defeat an equally trained man there is a rush to deny it like it will threaten your entire world view or something.
Agreed, it's stupid. History has multiple examples of female warriors, some mythic and some real--Joan of Arc, Boudicca, Shieldwives, Valkyries, Celtic women-warriors, Amazons, camp followers who enter the fray... you'd have to be an idiot to think that no woman could ever defeat a man in any given circumstance.

My problem merely lies with the combination of your phrasing of "Also it's funny to see men get so upset" with your accusation of casual sexism. I know you meant "some men", but to sensitive readers the omission of an implied word can make all the difference, particularly after following the text above that line.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
the hidden eagle said:
I would have gotten charged with GBH if it wasn't for CCTV :s. I didn't place charges against him as he was homeless and I figured he had a shitty enough life already, the cops did tell me he would get some rehabilitation though which was good.

persephone

Poisoned by Pomegranates
May 2, 2012
When I play games that give me a choice between a male and a female protagonist, I will always choose the female one, simply because I will identify with that protagonist better. That said, I've played lots of games that give you no choice, and I've never had a problem with it. So no, I've never felt a desire not to play a game that doesn't offer you a choice; I basically had a ten year love affair with the Zelda series, and you only ever get to play a guy in those games.

When I play a game, I get really deeply into character, and I often have an inner monologue going about what my character is thinking; however, despite being female, I've never had any problem getting these inner monologues going for male characters. When I used to play Link I would get so immersed in the game that I would become completely oblivious to anything going on around me, and I would be utterly in tune with Link's thoughts.

Interestingly, though, my sister has in the past (half)jokingly accused me of being "male" and told others I'm a "bachelor" despite the fact I'm a woman. I also tend to get along better with and share more interests with guys than with girls, so it makes sense that projecting myself onto a male character wouldn't be too hard for me.

Yet I discovered something interesting about myself when I was at a tabletop roleplaying one shot game, and the GM asked me to play a male character. I refused abruptly on the spot; the idea terrified me. Both the GM and I were surprised; he'd picked me to play cross-gender because he figured I'd be the one most comfortable with it (and the game called for one more male character than we had male players). But I realized that I had no earthly idea how to go about playing a guy. I figure it works for me in a video game where you don't have a choice, because those video games also provide a lot of structure and detail to help me define the character in my head. Left to my own devices with nothing but a concept ("you're the butler") at a roleplaying table, I was utterly lost. So I suppose that's why in games where I do get a choice, I unerringly choose female.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
CloudAtlas said:
rbstewart7263 said:
That could be societal. When you think of women we always give em bows and stuff which is cool. It makes sense lacking the upper body strength that some men have a woman would be crafty about it I suppose.
It's still stereotypical and thus doesn't make the characters more interesting.

And, not to nitpick, but the more power a marksman can apply to the string, the more penetration the arrow has, so that might be a bad example. ;)
well to be more accurate women werent allowed into combat in general and when they were it was typically sideline combat.Also in medieval times an archer was sometimes looked down upon by there more frontline brethren. It was considered roguish at best and cowardly at worst. Not the kind of work for a "man" at arms as they would have said. So thats where the thought comes from.

But your right. I myself lack the strength to pull a bow.

And moonlight I wasnt suggesting that that was all a woman can do.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
persephone said:
When I play games that give me a choice between a male and a female protagonist, I will always choose the female one, simply because I will identify with that protagonist better. That said, I've played lots of games that give you no choice, and I've never had a problem with it. So no, I've never felt a desire not to play a game that doesn't offer you a choice; I basically had a ten year love affair with the Zelda series, and you only ever get to play a guy in those games.

When I play a game, I get really deeply into character, and I often have an inner monologue going about what my character is thinking; however, despite being female, I've never had any problem getting these inner monologues going for male characters. When I used to play Link I would get so immersed in the game that I would become completely oblivious to anything going on around me, and I would be utterly in tune with Link's thoughts.

Interestingly, though, my sister has in the past (half)jokingly accused me of being "male" and told others I'm a "bachelor" despite the fact I'm a woman. I also tend to get along better with and share more interests with guys than with girls, so it makes sense that projecting myself onto a male character wouldn't be too hard for me.

Yet I discovered something interesting about myself when I was at a tabletop roleplaying one shot game, and the GM asked me to play a male character. I refused abruptly on the spot; the idea terrified me. Both the GM and I were surprised; he'd picked me to play cross-gender because he figured I'd be the one most comfortable with it (and the game called for one more male character than we had male players). But I realized that I had no earthly idea how to go about playing a guy. I figure it works for me in a video game where you don't have a choice, because those video games also provide a lot of structure and detail to help me define the character in my head. Left to my own devices with nothing but a concept ("you're the butler") at a roleplaying table, I was utterly lost. So I suppose that's why in games where I do get a choice, I unerringly choose female.
This! I do the same with lara as I once did with link!:)

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Moonlight Butterfly said:
Also it's funny to see men get so upset when one suggests a woman might be able to beat them in a fight. Oh Diddums.

I've beat at least 2 big guys hand to hand during my life. One of which I put in the hospital ( he WAS trying to rape me...) deal with it. Jumping upwards into someone's nose does the job surprisingly well most of the time.

I guess not everyone went to my dad's school of dirty fighting though.
No, but I wish all the women in the world HAD gone to your dad's school of dirty fighting. Or even better, learn from the master herself.
I highly recommend opening a school and showing women how they can beat-up men (only the rapists obviously) like you can, it's a bit selfish to keep that fighting knowledge to yourself.

Oh and your gaming "cred", and all your amazing personal experiences that you endlessly keep mentioning in almost every thread. It's very important we know how every scenario can be weaved into something you have experienced. I think you've already told us enough to write a detailed biography of your life's events, show us how it's done :D

Nov 24, 2010
depends.. in the witcher it´d be okay for me because the story is written exactly for this charater, its his lore. in skyrim or other rpgs you can make your own lore, bit in wither, like in jrpgs you playy the story of the charas, you dont make your own.
in the witcher there is this love story and such, jeah, it would be very nice to play as a female witcher, so would say that would really like it.
i would like more fps with the possibility to play as female- if I remember correctly, there was a long time ago unreal tournament where you could choose to play with a female model. this was very cool so i ask myself why that isnt possible?

its about fantasy so there is no good reason why not to include female models/skins.(unless you play a game which needs historic accuracy but these are only a part of all games-most of them don´t require historical accuracy i think.

jeah, i think the chance to play as a female would influence my decision to buy a certain game. and i think including female skins isnt that hard for the usual games (specially when it not includes any romance options-but bioware has shown how to do that in a very good way.

so-for games like the witcher, maybe half life, monkey island (okay, there it would have been possible but nah, cant expect that much for that time) or as example for female player characters: Tomb Raider which have already an established and known character with a story which is written exactly for that character its not important for me (and the witcher is based on a book-series so changing that would not be right. same goes for metro 2033)
So:if established&known character with a story written for exact that character the gender is not important.
but if these factors arent important i would be very happy to choose the gender of my character-line in dark souls or demon souls where you can do that- and as counterexample where the devs could´ve done that were gothic (very big in germany at its time..)

so, i hope for more choices-( i´d have LOVEd the possibility to play as a female in far cry 3 -eg Jennifer brody? they could have changed citra to a male- citran (citroen;) or chance nothing at all and the story still would´ve worked.
to save the own brother as a big or small sister-yeah, THAT would´ve been somewhat empowering i think^^
Or crysis3 -i cant remember any women at all in the game but maybe I am just forgetting(like the game..)
or to play a female assassin in assassins creed 3(most tribes of the indigenous americans had persons, so called two-spirits(not all tribes but the most)so playing a female warrior-jeah, absolutely possible. and in the mobile game you play a female character. so i hope maybe in the next assasins creed you can choose to play as male or female..(and don't come with historical accuracy, i mean, minerva and this, i think i dont have to say more...)

sigh*
jeah, i want more female player-characters.

(gosh this text was hard, all the could´ve and would´ve and ifs.. finding the right tempus/tense for this kind of sentences is haaaaard..)

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
I think we can all agree, at the very least, on one thing: You can't have it both ways.

You can't defend the common impractical, revealing female armor on the one hand by claiming that "it's just a game", or attribute it to its art style, and defend on the other hand the relegation of female characters to their stereotypical, supportive roles, roles that require less physical strength, by claiming that this is more realistic because women are, on average, physically weaker.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
firmicute said:
Or crysis3 -i cant remember any women at all in the game but maybe I am just forgetting(like the game..)
There is one female, how could you forget Claire...Psycho wouldn't shut up about her through the entire campaign :p

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Aaron Sylvester said:
Aaron Sylvester said:
Aaron Sylvester said:
I'm so sorry I burst your bubble every time dude :( It must be annoying.
Please, tell us about that time that you burst someone's bubble.
Why do I need to you were there, you lived it. You lived it dude.
No silly, I meant in real life. Tell us more tales your victories against rapists/sexists/misogynists, and detailed accounts of how long you've been gaming, and how many female gamers you know IRL who can stomp male gamers, etc.
Are you insinuating I'm a liar?

All I'm saying is it's possible for a woman to beat up a bigger guy. There's no need to get all upset over it.

Plus I'm pretty sure most people on this forum talk about how long they have been gaming and suchlike since it's you know, a gaming forum.

I would never kill Batman, I love Batman.

Also I've never said I know loads of female gamers in real life who can stomp male gamers, ever. Please find a quote if you can.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
jehk said:
Mylinkay Asdara said:
Do you find yourself not feeling a desire to play games that do not offer a male or female protagonist choice, the way others do i.e. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Fallout 3/NV, Skyrim and so forth?
It's really depends. Some male protagonists are nothing but surrogates for the male power fantasy. So sick of it. The Witcher is a perfect example.

It's all about finding someone I can relate to regardless of gender.

The Walking Dead is a great counter example. Lee was a great male protagonist.
Really? Did you even play the Witcher series? One of the main themes of the setting is fighting against discrimination, whether racial, national or gender-based. It's like the Civil Rights Movement: Medieval Edition. In The Witcher 2, most of the plot-central characters are women!

Does everyone just know the Witcher series as "that thing with the sex cards" (an easter egg in a game from 6 years ago), and flat out ignore the fact that the series itself is, in many ways, about egalitarianism?

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
Seneschal said:
Really? Did you even play the Witcher series? One of the main themes of the setting is fighting against discrimination, whether racial, national or gender-based. It's like the Civil Rights Movement: Medieval Edition. In The Witcher 2, most of the plot-central characters are women!

Does everyone just know the Witcher series as "that thing with the sex cards" (an easter egg in a game from 6 years ago), and flat out ignore the fact that the series itself is, in many ways, about egalitarianism?
I think this has already been discussed upthread, but the whole "male power fantasy" thing isn't about just the sex cards - it's the whole POV of the story, which is why the fact that female characters are plot-central doesn't do anything to disprove it.

And again: that doesn't have to be an insult that the game needs defending against - as far as I'm concerned that whole power fantasy is part of what makes it entertaining. I don't understand why some people feel the need to deny that it's part of the game - it's hardly unique in having elements that are selling features for some people that are going to turn other people off.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
(Male here)

I don't particularly mind when games have only male/female player character(s), and I almost exclusively play as the fairer sex when it's an option, solely because most games treat the male version as "default" and the female gets additional or more interesting dialogue thrown her way. I'm more annoyed when the entire supporting cast consists of one gender only rather than the protagonist choices.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
I think this has already been discussed upthread, but the whole "male power fantasy" thing isn't about just the sex cards - it's the whole POV of the story, which is why the fact that female characters are plot-central doesn't do anything to disprove it.

And again: that doesn't have to be an insult that the game needs defending against - as far as I'm concerned that whole power fantasy is part of what makes it entertaining. I don't understand why some people feel the need to deny that it's part of the game - it's hardly unique in having elements that are selling features for some people that are going to turn other people off.
The Witcher 2 might still not be the best example. Geralt is, in a way, perhaps only a secondary character to the story in the Witcher 2. One actor amongst many. He does tip events into the one or the other direction, sure, but is he really the hero of this story? He doesn't even care much about the course of events, can even refuse to fight the final battle, if you choose to play him that way.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Raikas said:
Seneschal said:

I can understand if women cannot immerse themselves because Geralt is a man - he has a pre-defined personality and background, and his gender is always in the foreground because of the nature of the setting. I, too, usually have to "settle" for a protagonist that isn't representative of me, and that often puts the story in a more movie-ish, 3rd person perspective. Sympathies there.

But to say one is "sick of it", as if The Witcher was exemplary of videogames that shun and marginalize women, is just misguided. Anyone who's paid attention to the narrative can see that.