Ladies, how about you?

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
rbstewart7263 said:
Thinking about it I think the drow in Icewind Dale oppress guys? Unless I'm remembering it wrong. I don't mind if a guy is sexually active as long as they, the devs, show the female characters some respect while doing it. The Witcher (the first one) certainly didn't.

I'm hoping Cyberpunk 2077 let's you play as a woman (I have heard that it does) then I can experience CDProjekts work without feeling so majorly squicked out but we will see.

Maybe one day I will bring myself to play The Witcher 2 but I don't think today is that day :p

On the subject I think it's funny that they said the hero in assassins creed 3 couldn't be a hero 'because history' and then made him native american...yeah because that is so much more believable :/ At least the made the one on the vita a woman (and she looks pretty awesome tbh)

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
rbstewart7263 said:
The argument against including sexism in a game boils down to this:

Games fulfill escapist fantasies. You gotta be the hero. You don't have to struggle with your everyday problems here. And if you are a woman, you don't want to face the same sexism in a game that you experience in your daily life too.

See e.g. this article: http://www.themarysue.com/what-women-want-in-female-video-game-protagonists/

So, even if you personally think that sexism makes a story, a world richer, darker, more realistic or whatever, that's the reason why you, altruistically, might want to oppose sexism as part of a story anyway.

Edit: Sexism against men, well, yes, some worlds feature matriarch or amazonian societies too, that's true. But that's all, for the largest part, just fictional stuff. The best real-world example I can come up with would be a game where you play as a divorced guy who fights for custody of his children. I doubt this setting would be popular with single dads who actually fight these battles in their real life already. Just to name an example where men are disadvantaged in some countries (like Japan).