Lamest/WTF?! plot twist

APLovecraft

Jan 13, 2010
ever been playing a game, reading a book or watching a movie etc and suddenly something in the story comes out of nowhere and you're just supposed to accept it?

my example would be freedom fighters on ps2

basically the old mentor guy who's been showing you how to blow up the russians who have taken other new york randomly turns out to be no-one other than the russian commander

o_O

then he laughs at you, wrecks your hideout and disappears.......erm......kay?

i've searched and found prior plot twist topics but none about twists that have made people go

so what's yours then?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Valkyria Chronicles when Isara Dies

It's crap because I had many "die" throughout the game, and all I needed to do was get a medic to them in 3 turns, and they'd be fine. No healing her though.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
marter said:
\It's crap because I had many "die" throughout the game, and all I needed to do was get a medic to them in 3 turns, and they'd be fine.
To be fair, evey single JRPG has the same issue. It's kind of like how, in bethesda games, rain falls everywhere in exterior cells, even undercover- Just a universal, accepted problem.
Anyway, My answer is Borderlands. Admittedly, the game wasn't exactly plot-focused, but still.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
joshuaayt said:
marter said:
\It's crap because I had many "die" throughout the game, and all I needed to do was get a medic to them in 3 turns, and they'd be fine.
To be fair, evey single JRPG has the same issue. It's kind of like how, in bethesda games, rain falls everywhere in exterior cells, even undercover- Just a universal, accepted problem.
Anyway, My answer is Borderlands. Admittedly, the game wasn't exactly plot-focused, but still.
Doesn't mean I can't hate on it. :)

TriggerHappyAngel

Self-Important Angler Fish
Feb 17, 2010
in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn when...
Oliver, the fat, annoying priest from Path of Radiance turned out to be still alive D:

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
This may be beating a dead horse, but Final Fantasy VIII.

Just about every important character in the game (main bad guy included) is from the same orphanage, but most of them don't remember it because of some arbitrary plot element seemingly pulled out of the writer's asses. What's that? GF's make you forget things? How could we not know this beforehand? And why didn't Squall remember he was from the same orphanage as about half his school before he even got his first GF?

Then again, I always got the impression with that game that there were 2 groups of writers: one working on the first half, and another working on the second half, and these 2 groups rarely talked to each other.

Jul 9, 2008
Although I've learned to accept it and actually rather like it, when they revealed who was behind Zant in Twilight Princess.

Grike

May 2, 2010
My biggest "Say whaaaat!?" moment was probably the original Bioshock. I've had it for a while, and just got around to finishing it before the sequel came out. The part with Andrew Ryan... Dang, I did NOT see that coming. (Not sure how to put spoilers D:)

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
Max Payne 2 , when
Mona Sax is working for the other side the whole time, Vlad wants you dead for some unexplained and arbitrary reason, and Woden is the one who got your family killed.

It just turned the entire last part of the game into a massive cluster-fuck, as well as destroyed my interest in the first game.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Well this isn't a game, but the plot twist that changed who the villain was in Hostel par 2 was handled so poorly that the entire plot just fell flat on its face shortly afterwards and continued to stumble for the last fifteen minutes.

I know it's not quite relevant to the thread but I had entered this thread with a name on the tip of my tongue but I forgot which game it was, if I remember I'll post it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I read through the Twilight book series in about a week [shut up! I was bored and curious!!] and in Breaking Dawn, the final book...

several CLANS of characters are introduced about a half way into the book. This is meant to have been the final book in the series and several CLANS of characters are introduced! Any of whom could have spiced up the plot

TyrantGanado

Oct 21, 2009
inb4 MGS2

I'd say Tekken 6 when we learn that
Jin drove everyone into WWIII so he could fight Azazel. I mean wat. Granted he did it so he could simultaneously end the Mishima bloodline, but he failed in that too! So we have Azazel defeated, the world in ruin and Heihachi, Kazuya, Lars and probably Jin still running around that family tree.

MadeinHell

Jun 18, 2009
Well most lately MW2 and
spoiler said:
Sheppard betraying his own country for no real reason, I mean... I know that he is supposed to be the general of those guys who got nuked in the first modern warfare, BUT THAT'S NEVER EXPLAINED! The only reason I found out about that was his monologue in the very end of the game nobody ever tells you:
"hey You know Sheppard lost like XXX people in that nuke blast? Yeah it was basically his entire division that must have been a punch to the balls"
NOBODY TELLS YOU THAT! It's just "Sheppard is evil, go kill the sob"
Also I find most plot twists lame cause let's be honest in 9 out of 10 times you see them coming from a mile away. For example I don't really get all that excitement over first KoTOR plot twist. I saw it coming pretty much right after you escape malak while he tries to own you by bombarding the entire planet and it gets more and more obvious with every hour of the game until it eventually HAPPENS. For me it was like "yeah I knew that" but for the rest of the world it seemed to be like "OH WHAT A TWIST!"
Still to this day I can't really understand what people find so great about this.

It's like being surprised that Kreia is the final baddie in KoTOR2... really? You are surprised? She told you multiple times that she doesn't really bother with good or evil and power is only thing worth grasping. HELL if you are particularly thick you are given an ANIMATED CUTSCENE indicating "Look Kreia raised and trained the 2 main villains of the game isn't that peculiar?". And still some people I talked to were surprised that she turned "evil" at the end of the game.

ARGH! I don't know why plot twists even the most obvious and usually bad ones have became "a necessary" part of every story. Can't it be like:
- "A to B" you are a soldier here is a bad guy and some epic music, bam bam! Bravo you feel victorious.
BUT NOoooooooooooooo (ironic no)
It has to turn out that the bad guy is actually your twin brother and that he has in fact boned your girlfriend who got pregnant and she has his baby. Does it make sense? NO! But it's a plot twist we MUST put it into the game...

WHY?! Just WHY!?

EDIT: Alright I calmed down a bit...
Maybe it's just me but most plot twists are visible to me from a mile away even if they are good. I saw Bioshock plot twist coming and got assured in it like 2 hours before it actually happened. I saw quite a lot of plot twists in ME2 coming (while there were not so many) and I actually AM PREDICTING RIGHT NOW the twists in ME3 (Ask me if you want but most of the stuff I predict is already available on ME-wiki).
Hell I saw all plot twists in SCRAPLAND and they were pulled out of someone ass most of the time (the game is great but the plot... urgh).
Maybe it's the fact that I spot the little details in the background like

spoiler about ME2 said:
Illusive man looking over your team in the collectors base. Yeah he is actually looking over you there. I'm not sure if I remember it correctly but right before you go to the final boss you stand on the platform and start moving, and the Illusive Man appears in the background behind the wall (somehow) and he's super huge, it's like it's a gigantic TV screen and he is just filming his face. Not sure if I described it correctly because I played that game quite a long time ago.
But don't be surprised if in ME3 Illusive Man turns out to be:
A) Working with the reapers entire time
B) Some early version of the reaper HIMSELF (the eyes) but smoking kinda puts this off although he's the only smoking person in ME2 (and 1) universe so that puts me to my 3'rd version of the story
C) Illusive man is in fact some sort of... "ancient" person. Maybe hundreds of years old, maybe more and until I play ME3 I don't know how that would be explained.

The C option seems most "possible" to me, since Illusive man acts very weirdly, he doesn't act like any of the person within the universe, he is extremaly intelligent and eloquent and has a knowledge of human psychology that only comes with a lot of experience, while he doesn't look all that old, I would personally give him... early 40? Yeah somewhere around that. And that age seems to be not enough to accomplish all that he has accomplished. As said before he also smokes and he seems to be the only person in the universe to do such a thing (everyone else is doing "high-tec" drugs and alcohol :p)
As said earlier I might be completely wrong those are just preddictions but hey, if it turns out to be true (especially some form of option C) you know who told you that first (points finger at himself) ehe ;D

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
TyrantGanado said:
inb4 MGS2

I'd say Tekken 6 when we learn that
Jin drove everyone into WWIII so he could fight Azazel. I mean wat. Granted he did it so he could simultaneously end the Mishima bloodline, but he failed in that too! So we have Azazel defeated, the world in ruin and Heihachi, Kazuya, Lars and probably Jin still running around that family tree.
Well, I was going to rag on Ultimatum some more, but since you asked for it, MGS2 is still really bugging me.
Alright, no I am going to rag on Ultimatum, but MGS2 gets an honorable mention.
The entire comic is prefaced around Thor throwing his hammer at Magneto in a previous battle and Magneto having kept it so he could reek havoc on the world. Why did Thor never hunt down his hammer? Isn't a weapon of the Gods kind of important and something you want to keep out of the hands of a terrorist. And that is just the first couple of pages, not the actual plot of the comic. Trust me, it was terrible. Do not read it, ever.

joschen

Jun 15, 2009
The horn on the main characters head is a gateway to the robot dimension, and some evil guy want to use that portal to activate gigantic flatirons across the globe to flatten the world and the minds of mankind.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
There were so many bad plot devices in the second half of Indigo Prophecy.
Chroma, Granny is really a machine deity, the two main characters meet each other and instantly fall madly in love. That's just the things I remember.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
The new Bionic Commando.

Your arm...is your wife...and wait, whaaaaa?

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
In Chrome Hounds
The final boss has you fight 3 rebel black chrome hounds, one of them is the guy who trained you in the tutorial, but he does nothing else in the story