Lamest/WTF?! plot twist

Zorpheus

Aug 19, 2009
Jennacide said:
Worse is the stupid "Oh btw the real boss is Ultemicia." "Who?" "Fuck if I know, go kill her." twist in the end of that game.
Final Fantasy is actually somewhat famous for featuring big-bads you never see or even hear of until the very end of the game. FF1, FF4, FF8 and FF9 all did this. There may be others, but I didn't play 2 and 3, and quit playing after 9.

Crabturtleking

Jun 2, 2009
Zorpheus said:
Jennacide said:
Worse is the stupid "Oh btw the real boss is Ultemicia." "Who?" "Fuck if I know, go kill her." twist in the end of that game.
Final Fantasy is actually somewhat famous for featuring big-bads you never see or even hear of until the very end of the game. FF1, FF4, FF8 and FF9 all did this. There may be others, but I didn't play 2 and 3, and quit playing after 9.
FF3 has a [a href=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GiantSpaceFleaFromNowhere] giant space flea from nowhere[/a], but 2 manages to keep the main baddie the same guy throughout the entire game.

dumpus555

Apr 14, 2010
The "twist" ending that was visible from the beginning of the game was Borderlands. Sorry if I didn't buy into the promise of a "Vault" with "Endless Wealth." If you know, you know. Sorry, but I don't know how to make those boxes.

Zorpheus

Aug 19, 2009
Crabturtleking said:
Zorpheus said:
FF3 has a [a href=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GiantSpaceFleaFromNowhere] giant space flea from nowhere[/a], but 2 manages to keep the main baddie the same guy throughout the entire game.
There you go, then. Out of the first ten games, the anti-climatic bosses make up about half the final bosses.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Zorpheus said:
Jennacide said:
Yeah I know, but 8's was so out of left field it was actually jarring. 4 and 9 weren't as random as it would seem though. 4 you were told late into the game what was happening and who you'd be facing. And with 9 they were fulfilling a long held convention way early in the game series about Necron. I can't remember the exact moment, but earlier in the games there was mention of the crystals and that it would summon Necron.

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
Quite a few i could name, so spoiler warning, sonic unleashed... chip is light gia, really?! that irritating thing!, FFX was more a "you didnt see that coming tidus?!" with the "yuna isnt gonna make it back alive" reveal... Legendary when the guy gets captured right at the end then tames the beasts in an obvious but sooooo cliche'd sequal set up that'll never happen. Doom 3 where the evil scientist turns out to be satan or some such tripe... but then your not supposed to think that hard when playing doom hehe... and finaly for now since i could go on, dragon age origins and the reveal that "the grey wardens must sacrifice themselves to kill the arch demon"... seriously?! you went down that obvious route, fantasy does that so much you get a free soda everytime you take your game to "heroic sacrifice" town

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
igissx said:
lucky_sharm said:
igissx said:
Basically i would say K.O.T.O.R but thats dumb when i can just say..... EVERY SINGLE GAME EVER MADE BY BIOWARE! They always have one plot twist that made me want to snap the controller in half...or keyboard...but the games were good so i forgive them.
This is a bit of a confusing post. Could you elaborate on what sort of other games made by Bioware that had dumb plot twists?
Both K.O.T.O.R's had plot twists, though the first games had a really engaging plot twist, M.E 1 had a bit of a plot twist, M.E 2 had many unoriginal, lame, plot twists. I believe Jade Empire had one, and im 99% sure Baulders Gate had one
Jade Empire had an amazing twist. No way you saw it coming.

KoToR II made a point of you know about the so-called twist long before it happened. If you don't Kreia and Atton insult you for not realizing it. Was it a bad twist? Yes. Was it out of the blue? Hell no.

My vote is for everything in Metal Gear starting with two and up. Either the Patriots or nanomachines did it. Or both. Using each other.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
The end of Black Ops when you discover that
you killed Kennedy
and MGS4
everything after Snake shoots himself
are WTF moments... and not in a good way. I found the MGS example, in particular, to be so bad that makes me reassess the quality of the entire game.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Zorpheus said:
Jennacide said:
Let me fill you in: FF X and XII had the same thing. At least X was hinted here and there (knew the name but never knew how it looked), but XII nemesis came out straight from the writer's behind in the last hour of the game.

Jan 27, 2011
when I saw Screwattack's "worst gaming doctors" top 10 and saw the twist to the new Bionic commando

To put it in their words "WHY IS YOUR WIFE AN ARM?!?

Also as much as I LOVED sonic Colors...there was one thing that made me facepalm.

After all of Eggman's power generators are down, he estimates that he STILL has enough energy to fire his giant mind control cannon at the earth and control everyone.

Then, he hits the switch.....and the whole thing blows up because the arm from the first boss got stuck in part of the cannon, which caused a power leak and made the whole thing blow up.

...That was....a little bit silly. >_>

Starcraft 2
QUITE a bit.

1) Wait...So Kerrigan ISN'T actually an evil manipulative !@#$% and is really still good, but trapped in an evil body? ...WHY?!? She was an AMAZING villain! And now you tell us that this amazing villain was all a lie?!

2) Wait...the overmind WASN'T evil and trying to consume the protoss, but was instead FORCED to? But....But...In the first game, the overmind was only concerned with being perfect, so it wanted to assimilate the protoss! It never sounded like a raging beast in chains!

3) So Kerrigan becomes human again (so how is the zerg expansion gonna work?), and Tychus predictably backstabs you only to get shot and die super easily?

.....It's like they decided to ignore all the cool stuff from the first game in favor of a book of cliches!

I DID like the end of InFamous though. NEVER would have seen that coming. It was well done.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Crimson_Dragoon said:
This may be beating a dead horse, but Final Fantasy VIII.

Just about every important character in the game (main bad guy included) is from the same orphanage, but most of them don't remember it because of some arbitrary plot element seemingly pulled out of the writer's asses. What's that? GF's make you forget things? How could we not know this beforehand? And why didn't Squall remember he was from the same orphanage as about half his school before he even got his first GF?

Then again, I always got the impression with that game that there were 2 groups of writers: one working on the first half, and another working on the second half, and these 2 groups rarely talked to each other.
Don't forget the shitty ass time travel and the abandoned spaceship that was abandoned in the middle of space that had a life support and oxygen system that was abandoned and had no one inside despite being being habitable in the middle of space.

Did I mention that there was a spaceship that they just happened to be able to pilot in the MIDDLE OF FUCKING SPACE that just HAPPENED to have oxygen and just HAPPENED to have enough fuel to get back to Earth?

Don't get me wrong, I love that game to pieces, but that fucking writing makes me want to slap someone.

Also, my nominee for Shittiest Plot Twist Next To FF VIII's Entire Second Half goes to Sazh shooting himself but not really, in FF XIII. Seriously, if I spoilered that, it would just piss you off when you actually see it.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
I`d have to say the ending to Drawn to Life 2. The game is short as it is and they ruined a perfectly good game.
I mean drawn to life was an awesome game then they F****d it up with the ending. I`m not going to spoil the ending but it`s like Inception's ending if it wasn`t good. hell, it was absoulute bullshit.

Euhan01

Mar 16, 2011
The start of Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts. You get told your playing a game and LOG (Lord of Games) has created them. Interesting idea, but didn't really like it.