Lamest/WTF?! plot twist

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
Infamous

Kessler is really YOU, from the future. He went back in time (how many power stations do you need to reconnect to get THAT ability?) and now and he's trying to destroy the city in the present in order to groom you into a hero - so you can protect the the world from "the Beast" who has destroyed the city in the future.

o_O

And I'm willing to bet that this "Beast" is probably just a different incarnation of yet another future self. Like, Kessler's already tried this once with you and he failed (you took the "Infamous" route), so now he went back AGAIN to try it differently.

I mean, I love the game and I admit this story is pretty interesting, but still - I didn't expect THAT.

dumblogic511

Oct 31, 2009
Bioshock Spoiler:

At first I really liked the twist for bioshock, I had already figured out that your character is Ryan's son because of the pole dancer scene, and I was pretty sure Atlas was a bad guy, but I thought the twist about him having control over your mind was pretty sick. But then I started to think about it, and it doesn't make much sense. If he has complete control over your mind, why doesn't he just command him to take the adam from the little girl in the early part of the game? Why does he feel the need to fake some shit about saving his family to a guy he has complete control over?

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
Near the end of Boktai (remember, that game that forced you to go outside and collect solar power to defeat vampires?). Where it's revealed that the female protagonist that looks vaguely young and near your age turns out to be your mom. WTF!!!!! I was so disappointed! Really, Konami it couldn't have been a princess and you're the last prince of a long lost sun kingdom? Sure it would have been cheesy, but at least the female protagonist would have had a more decent character placement.

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
<spoiler=Red Faction Guerrilla> When you find out that the engineer girl who helps you was a marauder. I mean, WTF?! Seriously, she has THE MOST stereotypical English (Or "British" as quite a few Americans call it) accent EVER. If that weren't annoying enough, how is that possible?! She was marauder-born, they barely talk, and when they do, they sound all stupid and deranged. Besides, she's on Mars! All the other NPCs are American, and even if there were some English people there on Mars, I doubt they'd sound sooo posh as to change her accent entirely!
Isn't RFG set about 100-150 years after now? Considering how the English accent has changed in that time already, isn't it fair to say it would've most likely completely lost the stereotype by then?
It just makes NO SENSE. I can understand her being Maraduer raised, but the accent, oh god, the accent... URGH.
[/end rant] [/spoiler]

Oh, and to dumblogic, I think it's because he wanted to make the character feel like he had free will. Maybe it was just for game purposes, I mean if he basically ordered you to do everything, it would feel like the most linear game ever. So if it made the actual player feel like he/she has a choice weather to harvest or save, you don't question if he's controlling you or not. I do agree, however that it doesn't make sense for the character, but it makes sense for the game. It didn't make me feel like "Oh, he's betrayed that guy" It made me feel like he'd betrayed ME, because of the element of freedom you get in the game, I felt in control, but I really wasn't.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
MadeinHell said:
Well it happening for more than 2 people at the same place in the same time kinda deminishes it as being a bug.
+ It would be a REALLY weird bug to have him in a pose that didn't appear through the rest of the game just to have him stare at you from the sealing.

And I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in wiki for ME2 I'll go check now.
It happening for many people is actually more evidence of it being a bug if anything. I'd say it looks more like a bug than intentional if it doesn't happen to everyone.
The thing with him appearing right there is not that hard to explain IMO, seeing as he appears through the hologram conversation just seconds later.

Not saying it can't have a purpose, but still seems shady to me.

Xero Scythe

Aug 7, 2009
Crimson_Dragoon said:
This may be beating a dead horse, but Final Fantasy VIII.

Just about every important character in the game (main bad guy included) is from the same orphanage, but most of them don't remember it because of some arbitrary plot element seemingly pulled out of the writer's asses. What's that? GF's make you forget things? How could we not know this beforehand? And why didn't Squall remember he was from the same orphanage as about half his school before he even got his first GF?

Then again, I always got the impression with that game that there were 2 groups of writers: one working on the first half, and another working on the second half, and these 2 groups rarely talked to each other.
watching a little too much ZP there, eh?

anyway, I must go with the multi-personality slut/prep girl from Vampire the Masquerade.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Any game where your teammate turns out to be evil without reason. Let's see, it happens in...

Infamous, Uncharted 2, Tomb Raider, Indiana Jones: Crystal Skull (twice), National Treasure, 50 Cent: Blood in the Sand... so on and so on. It is such a bad cliche' that if a teammate is introduced or has some minor problem with the main character, bullets will be exchanged instead of words.

dumblogic511

Oct 31, 2009
Captain Pirate said:
<spoiler=Red Faction Guerrilla> When you find out that the engineer girl who helps you was a marauder. I mean, WTF?! Seriously, she has THE MOST stereotypical English (Or "British" as quite a few Americans call it) accent EVER. If that weren't annoying enough, how is that possible?! She was marauder-born, they barely talk, and when they do, they sound all stupid and deranged. Besides, she's on Mars! All the other NPCs are American, and even if there were some English people there on Mars, I doubt they'd sound sooo posh as to change her accent entirely!
Isn't RFG set about 100-150 years after now? Considering how the English accent has changed in that time already, isn't it fair to say it would've most likely completely lost the stereotype by then?
It just makes NO SENSE. I can understand her being Maraduer raised, but the accent, oh god, the accent... URGH.
[/end rant] [/spoiler]

Oh, and to dumblogic, I think it's because he wanted to make the character feel like he had free will. Maybe it was just for game purposes, I mean if he basically ordered you to do everything, it would feel like the most linear game ever. So if it made the actual player feel like he/she has a choice weather to harvest or save, you don't question if he's controlling you or not. I do agree, however that it doesn't make sense for the character, but it makes sense for the game. It didn't make me feel like "Oh, he's betrayed that guy" It made me feel like he'd betrayed ME, because of the element of freedom you get in the game, I felt in control, but I really wasn't.
That would be fine, but the game survives on its narrative. It could have fixed this problem by putting in a part that would make you think that Fontaine knew that your character had a little bit of free will left, and that if you thought something was fishy, you may be able to disobey him, but he seems so confident in his mind control over you, that he tells you his entire plan.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
BudZer said:
marter said:
Valkyria Chronicles when Isara Dies

It's crap because I had many "die" throughout the game, and all I needed to do was get a medic to them in 3 turns, and they'd be fine. No healing her though.
See, but she died when the combat operation was already over. Since the "fog had cleared" the medic didn't necessarily need to be there. Since she isn't a member of Squad 7, we can assume that she had to go help out another operation and had to leave.
I still think it's a lame way to kill off a character.

squidbuddy99

Jun 29, 2009
Kingdom Hearts II
ROxAS is SORA(x)'s Nobody! And xEMNAS is ANSEM(x)'s Nobody. Kinda. Didn't see that coming, durpy durp-durp!

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
Eternal Sonata.
YOU KNOW THE ONE
Or just in case you don't or have never played that game and don't care:
When Frederic Chopin starts suffering acute schyzophrenia and decides it's time for all the other major characters to die by the might of his baton for no other adequate reason than because he feels like it. No. Seriously. He even tries to justify it by saying that it's because they're all part of his dream. So, basically, boys and girls, every time you have a dream from now on...

Murder every single fucker in it; what's the worse that could happen?

OH YES, YOU COULD PISS OFF THE PLAYER WITH LAME PLOT TWISTS, THAT'S WHAT!

GRRR I HAVE FURY.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
dumblogic511 said:
Bioshock Spoiler:

At first I really liked the twist for bioshock, I had already figured out that your character is Ryan's son because of the pole dancer scene, and I was pretty sure Atlas was a bad guy, but I thought the twist about him having control over your mind was pretty sick. But then I started to think about it, and it doesn't make much sense. If he has complete control over your mind, why doesn't he just command him to take the adam from the little girl in the early part of the game? Why does he feel the need to fake some shit about saving his family to a guy he has complete control over?
To make you think you were your own man and it was all your choice.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
The Escapist (movie not website). It's a good film about a prison break, but the end.

It turns out the main character actually died at the start of the breakout. A major WTF. What the hell have we been watching for
the last hour?

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
sinclose said:
Hail Fire 998 said:
dumblogic511 said:
Bioshock Spoiler:

To make you think you were your own man and it was all your choice.
Yeah but that's the whole point. It was just meant as a dramatic tool and made no logical sense. He shouldn't have to fake a story for his slave.
Good point...