Lara Gets Serious in New Tomb Raider Teaser

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
-Dragmire- said:
at least her proportions are getting normal...er
Agreed. At least now she doesn't look like Jeanette Voerman after being buried alive.

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
This looks really good for a trailer. Kinda digging the whole Bermuda triangle thing. Hopefully the game play will be up to snuff. This looks to have a suspenseful edge to it, and that's promising. I love when stuff jumps out at you unexpectedly. I still remember almost crapping myself when a gorilla jumped out at me, while playing Tomb Raider 2. (erm in the game of course)

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
if the graphics look just like in this trailer, then i think the atmosphere will be awesome.
at least lara looks much better and her breasts are not over the top huge. pretty much like of a normal portioned woman.
from what i could read on the the TR side, they want to go a totally different way with this game. they want you to fight for survival like going hunting, looking for water, fight the environment like heavy rainstorm, wet rocks etc.
i just hope you dont have to fight tones of creatures. i rather want to fight the environment and have small fights. lets say 80% survive and the rest are combat.

this game looks promising. i did enjoy underworld and legend though. maybe bc i never played the old once bc the controls are just terrible for the pc.
so yes, i have high hopes for this game.

Arashiofordo3

Mar 19, 2010
I think what a lot of people are missing is that this is a reboot. It won't be the same Laura we know and love, Far as I can make out what we're seeing here is a girl forced to become 'Laura'. Taken away from all the confidence and the acrobatic gun fighting, she's scared, alone, and forced to push herself to the limit. It's a fight for survival on every level. A young woman taken out of her comfort zone, forced to fight for her life in a hostile environment. Its almost a character study of just how far would someone be willing to go to survive.

Perhaps this will lead into the Laura we all know, but I think that they could very easily take this in another direction. A direction which could potentially give Laura a much greater depth of character then before, But thats just my two pennies. Take it as you will.

Personally I think this looks good, too often we've had characters who just find themselves in these situations and just excel at them, to the point were you wonder what the point of it was.

"Oh no! My plain has crashed on this island filled with giant insects! I better grab this stick and kill them all and casually stroll to safety and make you wonder why the developers thought there was any drama in this when I'm clearly too badass to be bothered by anything which happened while I was trapped on that island!"

Wait! Why were we even worried in the first place?!

It'll be nice to see someone actually fighting for survival. Getting cut and bloodied as they do so. Actually feel like your life's at stake, you know?

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
Odgical said:
I disliked the trailer... I got bored halfway through it. I'm of the belief that maybe they should just let the Lara Croft series die and make a new IP. But maybe that's just me.
I kinda felt the same way. About halfway through I found myself bored and thinking, there is no way the game will even come close to looking like this. Maybe if it ended up with visuals and game play similar to Uncharted it can do well, but given it is Tomb Raider, I doubt it hightly that will be the case.

Weskerbot3000

Feb 17, 2011
HOLY SHIT THIS LOOKS AMAZI...
*fall 2012*
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Ubermetalhed said:
This is NOT Tombraider.

Well done Crystal Dynamics you've managed to already ruin the series and now you're turning it into Uncharted.
Really? [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItSucks]

We haven't seen a bit of gameplay and you're already calling the series ruined?

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
So first thought did Lara have boob job after she got away from the hellhole she landed in the trailer, cause the scenery is there but some of the prettier mountains are kinda absent, not that it's a bad thing now she looks like she could actually pull of that fancy acrobatics she is so famous for.
Second thought who the fuck wrote the lines for the trailer, it sounds like Other M and that's fucking scary as hell.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Squallie Greenthumb said:
I agree with you there but what it seems like they did was take away her confidence and badassery along with the loss of her "fuck me" looks. While I for one think her vulnerability will make for a better game model I can already hear the feminists gathering.
Really? Vulnerable? Did you even see those last few seconds? That looked anything but vurnerable to me, dressing your own wounds, surviving on your own.
rossatdi said:
You're right, they could try having a new idea!

If Lara wasn't selling, making Lara blander is unlikely to lead much of an improvement. Spending millions on flashy non-engine cinematic scenes and advertising though... that probably will keep the old girl in show business.
Or, you know, explore her history; why she became as badass as we know her. And this game seems to be doing exactly that, going by the dialogue and that line on the screen at the end; a survivor is born.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
So it's basically like Survivor?
Might not be so bad actually, nobody I've ever met has liked the Tomb Raider games as they existed anyway.

Also, wouldn't it be awesome if the guy she'll inevitably keep seeing throughout the game is actually a hallucination to press her towards survival? (Anyone who's read World War Z will know the reference)

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
So, is the point of this game to establish that Lara's motivation in all the other Tomb Raider games have been because she's psychologically damaged and become addicted to life threatening danger? Instead of archaeology (which never seemed to really be the goal anyways), it's just that she's the ultimate adrenaline junky because of a traumatic experience when she was younger?

Actually, that sounds pretty cool. It'd be character development that kind of makes the whole series take on a different meaning.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Ah Tomb Raider. I haven't played one since the originals. I used to like them. We'll see how this goes, might be worthy.

Also, she must be pre-op because her boobies used to be a LOT bigger.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
Holy Crap Lara looks like a human! I sure hope Square-Enix brings some footage of gameplay because I have now been reinvigorated in Tomb Raider. I stopped playing Tomb Raider games after the PS One games. I sure hope they don't decide to copy and paste Uncharted for the gameplay because cover based shooting is getting to be too frequently used in games... then again it actually might be for the best.

Squallie Greenthumb

May 16, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
I agree with you there but what it seems like they did was take away her confidence and badassery along with the loss of her "fuck me" looks. While I for one think her vulnerability will make for a better game model I can already hear the feminists gathering.
Really? Vulnerable? Did you even see those last few seconds? That looked anything but vurnerable to me, dressing your own wounds, surviving on your own.
rossatdi said:
You're right, they could try having a new idea!

If Lara wasn't selling, making Lara blander is unlikely to lead much of an improvement. Spending millions on flashy non-engine cinematic scenes and advertising though... that probably will keep the old girl in show business.
Or, you know, explore her history; why she became as badass as we know her. And this game seems to be doing exactly that, going by the dialogue and that line on the screen at the end; a survivor is born.
Did you see the first 3 minutes? With all the fear in her eyes? When did the original Lara Croft ever look scared instead of raising her eyebrow and daring the world to bring it on. Also if you're saying that this game might explain why she became a badass then you're agreeing that she's not starting out as such and she's gonna have to learn to survive on her own therefore starting out as vulnerable.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
Tomb Raider reboot? Intaresting O: !

Never played the previous games, much, though.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Did you see the first 3 minutes? With all the fear in her eyes? When did the original Lara Croft ever look scared instead of raising her eyebrow and daring the world to bring it on. Also if you're saying that this game might explain why she became a badass then you're agreeing that she's not starting out as such and she's gonna have to learn to survive on her own therefore starting out as vulnerable.
Of course. It's safe to say that Lara wasn't always the gun toting badass we know she is now. She's raised in the mansion of a wealthy British lord afterall. There had to be some catalyst. This game seems to show us that catalyst. And that, to me, is pretty interesting.

Squallie Greenthumb

May 16, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
Of course. It's safe to say that Lara wasn't always the gun toting badass we know she is now. She's raised in the mansion of a wealthy British lord afterall. There had to be some catalyst. This game seems to show us that catalyst. And that, to me, is pretty interesting.
exactly and i never said it wan't going to be an interesting game. all i was saying that with this trailer all the old Lara hating women's groups that the game's creators may or may not be trying to appease with this new image are going to see it the way i said, stripped of looks and stripped of strengths. remember nobody who fights video games plays video games. they're not gonna care if by the end of it Lara can destroy a mountain with her fist. all they know is what they can nitpick from the commercials.

the bra strap's probably gonna cause some shit as well.