Large Hadron Collider Creates Incredibly Dense Primordial Matter

Sir Boss

Mar 24, 2011
with this we can finally create gravitational fields on space stations and the like. gentlemen, ladies, we now march on in to the true space age

ChillShark

Oct 13, 2010
JUGGERNAUTBITCH said:
ChillShark said:
Abandon4093 said:
redmarine said:
Abandon4093 said:
Someone had better make a sugarcubed sized blob of this stuff and just drop it on the floor.

The results would be hilarious.
Yeah, like pull the moon slowly towards and smashing into the surface of the earth by its immense gravitational pull.
I was thinking more along the lines of, burns through to the center of the earth and begins to slowly draw all of the earths matter into it's incredibly dense blob until nothing is left.
Almost right. The best visual representation I can think of that would happen was that one episode of SG:Atlantis where they made a replicator girl that made all the other reps stick to her and they all became on huge blob and sucked the entire solar-system into a newly formed black hole.
Nope, like the news said. Vry dense but not denser than a black hole. And there is a big misconception about black holes. If the sun would change to a black hole with the same mass as the sun. Nothing would change. Ok not nothing, it would for instance get very very cold here on earth. BUT the earth would remain in a steady orbit.
Man, where did you learn to science? The Thing is dense, it will suck the earth in and become more dense, it will then suck the moon in and become even more dense, long story short, chain reaction...... The end!

figment of mind

Jun 26, 2008
Am i the only one seeing us all being sucked into a black hole in the near future?

ChillShark said:
Man, where did you learn to science? The Thing is dense, it will suck the earth in and become more dense, it will then suck the moon in and become even more dense, long story short, chain reaction...... The end!
I guess not...

Jun 23, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
Someone had better make a sugarcubed sized blob of this stuff and just drop it on the floor.
redmarine said:
Yeah, like pull the moon slowly towards and smashing into the surface of the earth by its immense gravitational pull.
Not quite. To make a sugarcubed sized blob we'd compress Mount Everest (or some convenient quarry) into a sugar cube, not so much create it from the nether. And even that much additional mass wouldn't affect the moon's orbit much (too much distance). The blob itself, though, would handily bore its way to the center of the Earth. But even if we were to black-hole the Earth, the moon would have no reason to alter course.

Still, we're about as likely to create a significant blob[footnote]That is, a quantity visible to the naked eye.[/footnote] as we are a similar blob of anti-matter, which is to say, not very. We just don't have experiments that require such huge quantities.

238U.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
JUGGERNAUTBITCH said:
Nope, like the news said. Vry dense but not denser than a black hole. And there is a big misconception about black holes. If the sun would change to a black hole with the same mass as the sun. Nothing would change. Ok not nothing, it would for instance get very very cold here on earth. BUT the earth would remain in a steady orbit.
Exactly. People keep getting that bit wrong.

theheroofaction said:
Alrighty, let me be the first to say this, so what?

I mean, does anybody gain anything from this hyperdense trash-compaction system?
Scientists continue to learn more about the nature of reality, in ways that are very boring and/or incomprehensible to the lay person. But, given a few decades, we'll all be taking this knowledge for granted.

I mean, the space race was just a contest between the US and it's most hated rival, the US (which the Soviets snuck into when nobody was looking and were winning for a time), but we have communication satellites because of it.

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
Owlslayer said:
I...gah. Holy shit do i want to see a sugarcube made of that stuff...
And it really does seem like they're making something that just says "screw you, Physics!"
But I don't get a lot of science stuff, so don't mind that remark.
Actually it's more like they're saying "Physics! Fuck Yeah!".

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
Wow o.o genuinely mind-boggling stuff!
Also, lol at the awkward blank capcha...
OH THERE WE GO.
Phew, I thought the LHC just destroyed the internet.

JUGGERNAUTBITCH

May 20, 2011
ChillShark said:
JUGGERNAUTBITCH said:
ChillShark said:
Abandon4093 said:
redmarine said:
Abandon4093 said:

I was thinking more along the lines of, burns through to the center of the earth and begins to slowly draw all of the earths matter into it's incredibly dense blob until nothing is left.
Almost right. The best visual representation I can think of that would happen was that one episode of SG:Atlantis where they made a replicator girl that made all the other reps stick to her and they all became on huge blob and sucked the entire solar-system into a newly formed black hole.
sry bro:
Black holes, unlike their common image, do not necessarily suck up all the matter in the vicinity. They can act as "cosmic vacuum cleaners", but not as much as some people might think.[57] The collapse of a star into a black hole is an explosive process, which means, according to Mass?energy equivalence, that the resulting black hole would be of lower mass than its parent object, and actually have a weaker gravitational pull.[58] The source of the confusion comes from the fact that a black hole exists in a space much smaller but orders of magnitude more dense than a star, causing its gravitational pull to be much stronger closer to its surface. But, as an example, were the Sun to be replaced by a black hole of the same mass, then the orbits of all the planets surrounding it would be unaffected. This is because "if you're outside the event horizon, you can just keep going around in circles around [a black hole], in exactly the same way that you can be in orbit around any other kind of mass."[59]

wikipedia. (i know not the most reliable source)

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
If ever there was a time to become a mad scientist bent on world destruction it was now.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
cool, so if we can make lead travel nearly the speed of light, theres hope for traversing the universe after all.

and err, well done to them who made 'dark matter'

V8 Ninja said:
If we can somehow find a way to use this thing-a-majig as a resource for power, we can officially say that we're living in a new era.
dude, everytime i read your post's i cant take them seriously, i imagine them all in batman's voice.

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
I think the real question on everyone's mind is this:

Can you snort it? If so, then how sweet of a trip would you go on?

But really, if they can make some form of new energy with this, then we are officially living in the future. If not, then can we at least give it a funny name?

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
guess we know what the metal cube in this clip is now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16EKZcz14Ac

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
My science isn't great either, surely it's a bit rich referring to a black hole as a "known object"... correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those still theoretical? Like, by their very nature are almost impossible to confirm existing?

Drake_Dercon

Sep 13, 2010
redmarine said:
Abandon4093 said:

Not to mention that you'd need to find 40 billion tons of matter (just lying around... hey, maybe we could use jupiter!) to accelerate to near light-speed, then do so.

That would require about (40 000 000 000 000 * 299 792 458) N (calculator glitched, so I couldn't calculate it without spending ten minutes doing it the old fashioned way) of force.

Point being, I would probably worship you as some sort of messiah if you could do it.