Large Hadron Collider Creates Incredibly Dense Primordial Matter

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
cainx10a said:
A Pious Cultist said:

So, uhh, this stuff then?
So we fixed the energy problem? Can we move on to invading alien planets now?
I agree with this statement. All this science is meaningless with out alien species with which to conquer and enslave, so lets get to finding them.

Is that a Bronn avatar I see?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Drake_Dercon said:
That would require about (40 000 000 000 000 * 299 792 458) N (calculator glitched, so I couldn't calculate it without spending ten minutes doing it the old fashioned way) of force.

Point being, I would probably worship you as some sort of messiah if you could do it.
Actually, no, that would be the force needed to accelerate it to C in one second, if it wasn't for relatavistic effects. (If you just take C as 3 x 10^8, you can just say 1.2 x 10^22 N)

Unfortunately, if you were doing that, the object would end up half a light second away once it reached that speed, travelling outwards, which would lead to your budget being cut, unless you had a very good spin doctor.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
V8 Ninja said:
If we can somehow find a way to use this thing-a-majig as a resource for power, we can officially say that we're living in a new era.
dude, everytime i read your post's i cant take them seriously, i imagine them all in batman's voice.
Fun Fact: After I touched the read button badge, I randomly changed my avatar in hopes of possibly breaking the joke and laughing at the Escapist for making the badge easily broken. That didn't work, but the avatar I chose was this current one. After 24 hours of pressing the button, I saw that I changed the avatar to Batman and decided that it was quite fitting for me (somewhat awesome, somewhat clueless).

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
GrimTuesday said:
cainx10a said:
A Pious Cultist said:

I agree with this statement. All this science is meaningless with out alien species with which to conquer and enslave, so lets get to finding them.

Indeed, it is. :)

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
I bet this is exactly the thing the last universe celebrated creating.

Y'know, twenty seconds before they said "Lets make some more" and fourty before the big bang?

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Tom Goldman said:
It's believed that the universe existed as quark-gluon plasma until it cooled into what we're made of today. The LHC created it by smashing together lead ions at nearly the speed of light.
I wonder why specifically lead ions. It's been quite some time since I took physics but I was under the impression that an ion is an ion is an ion, the only differences being how they are paired up with it's various protons and neutrons.

For example: looking at a periodic table from what I understand is that the only difference between lead and gold are 3 protons,neutrons,and electrons.

http://www.bpc.edu/mathscience/chemistry/images/periodic_table_of_elements.jpg

Or am I off base here?

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Go Cern scientists!

Destroy us all!

Jamous said:
I wonder how badly that would fuck with gravity in the solar system?
While forty billion tons is a lot you would still need much more than that to make a noticeable difference and that matter would have to come from somewhere.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
cainx10a said:
GrimTuesday said:
cainx10a said:
A Pious Cultist said:

Indeed, it is. :)
Awesome. I've been sporting a Game of Thrones Avatar since the first promo picture came out (Ned holding Ice) so it is good to see more people with avatars from the show.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
Loud Hawk said:
Abandon4093 said:
Someone had better make a sugarcubed sized blob of this stuff and just drop it on the floor.

The results would be hilarious.
Am I the only one here that sees the flaw in this plan.

How would he pick it up in the first place.

On the other hand, imagine dropping it on your toe. OUCH!
It would be more accurate to say, Imagine dropping your toe on it.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
sleeky01 said:
Tom Goldman said:
It's believed that the universe existed as quark-gluon plasma until it cooled into what we're made of today. The LHC created it by smashing together lead ions at nearly the speed of light.
I wonder why specifically lead ions. It's been quite some time since I took physics but I was under the impression that an ion is an ion is an ion, the only differences being how they are paired up with it's various protons and neutrons.

For example: looking at a periodic table from what I understand is that the only difference between lead and gold are 3 protons,neutrons,and electrons.

http://www.bpc.edu/mathscience/chemistry/images/periodic_table_of_elements.jpg

Or am I off base here?
Well, remember that K=.5mv^2. Lead is pretty heavy, and we have an upper bound on the velocity (speed of light), ergo we'll get the most kinetic energy from it. More energy in turn means higher temperature of the resulting plasma, so there you go. Another reason to use lead is that it is quite common (read: cheap), very stable, unreactive, non-radioactive and fairly non-toxic (just for storage purposes). I'm not sure if the trans-lead elements can be used, or if there's any sort of issue regarding fission though. Particle physics is quite a bit above my pay grade.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Jamous said:
Not at all[footnote]Alright, there would be some effect, but so small as to require a shitload of funding to develop machines to measure it, assuming it is possible at all[/footnote].

Even if they went and made the whole sugarcube sized one, they'd be making it out of things that were already on the Earth. The shape of the mass of the Earth isn't really important.

You could argue for some sort of way of converting energy to mass, which would lead to the Earth having a (slighty) greater gravitational field, but it'd only be along the lines of the Earth having an extra mountain or so.

Amphoteric said:
Loud Hawk said:
Abandon4093 said:
Someone had better make a sugarcubed sized blob of this stuff and just drop it on the floor.

Well, if you were doing it in deep space, perhaps (but the fall would take ages). Otherwise, it's gravity would be negligable compared to that of the Earth, and you toe is (presumably) to be placed between the two.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Well, if the Earth's mass is 5974200000000000000000 tonnes, something that weighs a mere 40000000000 tonnes would hardly affect Earth's gravity. Sure, the cube would sink to the center rather quickly, but overall it would affect Earth's gravity by about one fifteen-billionth of a percent.

eggy32

Nov 19, 2009
I'm a bit confused. If this thing is 100,000 times hotter than the sun, where are they keeping it? What material doesn't melt or evaporate at that temperature? (other than quark-gluon plasma)

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
thaluikhain said:
Jamous said:
Not at all[footnote]Alright, there would be some effect, but so small as to require a shitload of funding to develop machines to measure it, assuming it is possible at all[/footnote].

Even if they went and made the whole sugarcube sized one, they'd be making it out of things that were already on the Earth. The shape of the mass of the Earth isn't really important.

You could argue for some sort of way of converting energy to mass, which would lead to the Earth having a (slighty) greater gravitational field, but it'd only be along the lines of the Earth having an extra mountain or so.

Amphoteric said:
Loud Hawk said:
Abandon4093 said:

Well, if you were doing it in deep space, perhaps (but the fall would take ages). Otherwise, it's gravity would be negligable compared to that of the Earth, and you toe is (presumably) to be placed between the two.
Alright alright, I should have made it a bit clearer; I only decided not to at the last second. I was wondering what would happen if we just got some blocks of that stuff and used them regularly, so adding massively to the Earth's mass (ignoring the fact they'd be made of what we already have). That'd have some fairly interesting effects. I got hold of this: http://universesandbox.com/ recently, so you should be able to see what I mean now I actually put it a bit clearer. :p

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
eggy32 said:
I'm a bit confused. If this thing is 100,000 times hotter than the sun, where are they keeping it? What material doesn't melt or evaporate at that temperature? (other than quark-gluon plasma)
Presumably they aren't, it'd be one of those things that exists momentarily, and then changes into something else. Especially if it has to be that temperature, there's no way of maintaining it.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
HankMan said:
Tom Goldman said:
Quark-gluon plasma has been made before, though the version created at the LHC is of higher energy and scientists are recording slight differences in measurements as it cools. In both cases, the material has acted as a "perfect liquid." Evans explains: "If you stir a cup of tea with a spoon and then take the spoon out, the tea stirs for a while and then it stops. If you had a perfect liquid and you stirred it, it would carry on going around forever."
perpetual motion= perpetual energy= Suddenly those stars don't seem so far away anymore.
Sorry to burst your bubble there, but energy through perpetual motion is still impossible and will always be impossible. A superliquid seems nice but the moment you start extracting energy the perpetual motion is lost.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Verlander said:
My science isn't great either, surely it's a bit rich referring to a black hole as a "known object"... correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those still theoretical? Like, by their very nature are almost impossible to confirm existing?
Nope. They may be difficult to spot due to them being black on a black background, but first of all, they create a lens effect around them, due to the fact that they bend light. Look up any picture of a black hole and you will see a bulge around the artist's representation of the black hole. They are also theorized to give off [a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation]Hawking Radiation[/a]
And lastly, astrophysicists have found quite a few of them, just look up known black holes.