Large Hadron Collider Creates Incredibly Dense Primordial Matter

xeneficus

May 24, 2011
Loud Hawk said:
Abandon4093 said:
Someone had better make a sugarcubed sized blob of this stuff and just drop it on the floor.

The results would be hilarious.
Am I the only one here that sees the flaw in this plan.

How would he pick it up in the first place.

On the other hand, imagine dropping it on your toe. OUCH!
Actually, if you had it at the size of a sugar cube it would most likely pull the earth up! (relative to your up/down)

StonkThis

Aug 12, 2009
I'm just curious, since they made it, wouldn't having something 100 000 times hotter than the sun and denser in the LHC kind of fuck shit up?

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Verlander said:
My science isn't great either, surely it's a bit rich referring to a black hole as a "known object"... correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those still theoretical? Like, by their very nature are almost impossible to confirm existing?
Ah, those things. It's impossible to directly observe those sneaky bastards, given that light doesn't emit from them. However, they are stupidly energetic. Large black holes, quasars, are quite easy to observe, as they shoot giant jets out at their poles. They're found at the center of galaxies. Here's a sample:

Now stellar sized black holes are more tricky. They are also quite energetic, so we can scan the sky in the x-ray spectrum (see Chandra x-ray observatory). The accretion disk of the black hole will glow quite intensely, so we can infer their location from there. Moar piczzz:

Woohoo, I love having friends in astronomy!

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
xeneficus said:
Actually, if you had it at the size of a sugar cube it would most likely pull the earth up! (relative to your up/down)
Just so you know, the gravity that comes from your mass pulls the Earth up, albeit barely ;)

Para199x

Nov 18, 2010
HankMan said:
OMG! there is finally something denser on this planet that Rush Limbaugh's cranium :p
Tom Goldman said:
Quark-gluon plasma has been made before, though the version created at the LHC is of higher energy and scientists are recording slight differences in measurements as it cools. In both cases, the material has acted as a "perfect liquid." Evans explains: "If you stir a cup of tea with a spoon and then take the spoon out, the tea stirs for a while and then it stops. If you had a perfect liquid and you stirred it, it would carry on going around forever."
perpetual motion= perpetual energy= Suddenly those stars don't seem so far away anymore.
theheroofaction said:
Alrighty, let me be the first to say this, so what?

I mean, does anybody gain anything from this hyperdense trash-compaction system?
I seriously hope you are trolling. It's reproducing the conditions just after the big bang and that can tell us a lot of things about the universe.

Also another thing, people worried about black holes being produced, if a black hole was produced in the LHC (which it almost certainly wont) it would disintegrate in seconds, assuming that the laws of thermodynamics are true (Hawking radiation look it up).

Also another another thing :p, they amount of the quark-gluon plasma they will have made would have been minuscule, they don't have the capability to collide 40 billion tons of matter together to produce that much, if it some how escaped or w/e, it would just quickly cool down and reform into normal matter, which it does in the LHC anyway.

Also the perpetual motion thing, it's not quite like that, a perfect fluid has no viscous forces and so as per Newton it will continue at the same velocity, not being slowed by the viscous forces, no perpetual energy there, if you put a tea spoon back in but didn't move it the energy would dissipate.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
maybe we just invented the material that the bullets starships will fire will be made of? or we could just go with nukes missiles and lasers/plasma weapons etc etc.

Abengoshis

Aug 12, 2009
ryo02 said:
maybe we just invented the material that the bullets starships will fire will be made of? or we could just go with nukes missiles and lasers/plasma weapons etc etc.
We haven't even really mastered space travel and we're already resorting to space wars. Oh humans, we so sill-eh.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
theheroofaction said:
Alrighty, let me be the first to say this, so what?

I mean, does anybody gain anything from this hyperdense trash-compaction system?
Yes, we get a far better understanding of the universe, it undoubtedly has practical applications but because it's so new it's hard to imagine them.

When humans discovered fire, I'd imagine the practical benefits of it weren't immediately apparent.

EDIT: Oh, you meant the LHC itself, I thought you meant the discovery.

Still, the point remains.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
ryo02 said:
Most likely neither, as it would be a ***** to transport and keep stable, or better yet, carry an LHC to generate it on the go, although if they do find a way to do it efficiently, it will probably be closer to starship weapons.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
DasDestroyer said:
Most likely neither, as it would be a ***** to transport and keep stable, or better yet, carry an LHC to generate it on the go, although if they do find a way to do it efficiently, it will probably be closer to starship weapons.
that would be ... scary powerfull

Abengoshis said:
We haven't even really mastered space travel and we're already resorting to space wars. Oh humans, we so sill-eh.
sorry ... didnt say it was a good thing just stating what it might be used for you know the military thought it. nukes were stupid enough this would be ... well even more world endingly bad.

Quantum Star

Jul 17, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
The unique material is 100,000 times hotter than the sun and denser than any known object other than a black hole.
So... exactly HOW do we keep this thing safely contained?

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Quantum Star said:
Tom Goldman said:
The unique material is 100,000 times hotter than the sun and denser than any known object other than a black hole.
Magnets! [sub][sub]fucking magnets, how do they work?[/sub][/sub]
Magnetic containment is used for plasmas and other nasty things. It's quite effective, nothing gets in and nothing gets out.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
ryo02 said:
DasDestroyer said:
that would be ... scary powerfull

Abengoshis said:
sorry ... didnt say it was a good thing just stating what it might be used for you know the military thought it. nukes were stupid enough this would be ... well even more world endingly bad.
Nah, it's far too unknown and difficult to create in any sizable amounts for it to be used for warfare... yet.
And I still believe that the best weapon we could come up with is a star surrounded completely by incredibly efficient solar panels and such to soak up as much of it's energy as possible, all of the used to fuel a death-star-esque laser :p

Quantum Star said:
Tom Goldman said:
Certainly not by leaving it be. Closer to the time of the big bang most of the universe was made of this stuff, but then it rather quickly turned into quarks and such.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Anyone else read the title as large hardon collider? No? Just me then.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
DasDestroyer said:
Nah, it's far too unknown and difficult to create in any sizable amounts for it to be used for warfare... yet.
And I still believe that the best weapon we could come up with is a star surrounded completely by incredibly efficient solar panels and such to soak up as much of it's energy as possible, all of the used to fuel a death-star-esque laser :p

Quantum Star said:
Tom Goldman said:
Certainly not by leaving it be. Closer to the time of the big bang most of the universe was made of this stuff, but then it rather quickly turned into quarks and such.
aww an here I was gonna suggest building a Ring World (halo's from the halo games or the larry niven novels)

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
ryo02 said:
DasDestroyer said:

Quantum Star said:
Tom Goldman said:
aww an here I was gonna suggest building a Ring World (halo's from the halo games or the larry niven novels)
That's a great idea too, as it allows for a huge habitable surface, but too much energy escapes past the rather thin band for it to be a very efficient weapon.
Gotta love Ringworld :D
[sub][sub]I just hope stasis fields are invented in my lifetime...[/sub][/sub]

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Verlander said:
My science isn't great either, surely it's a bit rich referring to a black hole as a "known object"... correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those still theoretical? Like, by their very nature are almost impossible to confirm existing?
You're right. Your science isn't great. Black holes exist and among the bigger ones are those at the center of some galaxies. There's a huge black hole at the center of our galaxy. You should go to youtube and do a little research on the subject.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
Owlslayer said:
I...gah. Holy shit do i want to see a sugarcube made of that stuff...
And it really does seem like they're making something that just says "screw you, Physics!"
But I don't get a lot of science stuff, so don't mind that remark.
Half of the stuff the LHC is supposed to make kind of says "Screw you, Physics!"

I can only imagine the applications of this ridiculous substance.