Latest FFVII Remake Rumor Looks a Lot Like a Hoax

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Realitycrash said:
Do we really need a remake? Can't they just like..Start making the FF games good again?
Back to the open world, the complex and innovative plots, and oh..I don't know..getting to control all your party members in combat?
Or maybe find a FF game that's actually worth remaking?
IMHO FFVII was pretty bad.

Noble Cookie said:
But I want FFVIII

:((((
BINGO!
Either remake VIII or, X, or XII.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
So long as they dangle that carrot, they'll have folks coming back time and time again XD

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Did anyone else notice that the letter said you'd be able to plow?! My dream of being a farmer in FFVII will be fulfilled at long last! But will the plow have materia slots? I must know!

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
For ps3 or no deal, if it goes for NGP square enix has once again pissed me the fuck off. I'm keeping track now and I think I'm up to 4 major strikes against them.

Of course I realize this is a hoax btw.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Therumancer said:
Well, to be entirely honest I think they DID rule out the possibility at one point by saying that doing something like "Final Fantasy VII" again would be too expensive as the amount of content and the types of enviroments would be prohibitive with the new technology. They simply produced too much artwork and content comparitively speaking.

I remember this in connection to complaints about "Final Fantasy XIII" and why it was so linear, didn't have actual cities, and similar things. This of course leading to me pointing out that if this was true, then one could hardly call the current technology an improvement over the old stuff if it's impractical to do what the last generations were able to accomplish... irregardless of the reasons.
Well to remake FFVII in "Real 3-D" in the likes of say FFXI FFXIII or WoW with free rotationg camera all the time would take forever because FFVII outside of the World map was never 3D in design It was always a flat 2D player movement landscape with well drawn scenery with use of overlays and underlays that make it seem as if the areas were fully developed in a Semi 2d/3d hybrid the only times you could see the other side of things or at different angles was when the camera automatically changed with no panning what so ever So it was basically going from one painting to another so well it gives the illusion of 3D background objects. So yeah to make FFVII completely the same but in a full 3d world take forever. (Unfortunately)

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
So long as they dangle that carrot, they'll have folks coming back time and time again XD
But if you never feed the horse it dies.

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
All I can say is "Well duh!"

As much as I'd love a remake of FFVII (with video-scene footage summons like you see in Crisis Core), it's never going to happen. To be honest, I'm glad it never will. The simple fact is that it was one of the best games (graphically) of its time and if they remade it, it would be like taking your favourite time in history and adding modern day technology to it. It would fuck it all up and destroy everything you know and love about it.

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
icyneesan said:
If SE ever remakes the PS1 FF games, I really hope that they skip over 7 and remake 8 or 9 just to troll everyone :D
I agree. Honestly, everyone is always FFVII this and Cloud/Aeris/Sephiroth that. There were OTHER FF games released during the PS1 era, buys. FFVIII had many flaws, I'll admit, and I really wasn't too taken with FFIX myself, but they were good games! I want to know where the FF8 and FF9 ports/remakes are going to come out!

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Why would any serious email be prefaced with "Dear Linguist"? Seriously, that's a red flag for a spam or hoax email right there and then. Having an email address means one of 2 things. You are contacting someone through an agency and therefore have their name by which address them in the email, or you stole the email address for the express purpose of jerking them around. I didn't even bother reading the rest after that because it was obviously bollocks on that basis alone.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
The way Squeenix has been uselessly flailing about in the gaming industry for the last few years, I can actually see them pulling the lever and doing that remake.

It wouldn't be FF7's triumphant return so much as it would be Squeenix's last ditch effort to remain relevant in the AAA gaming world.

In order for the game to live up to the hype, they'd have to sink a boatload of cash into it, market it and not piss off the FF7 fans. Also, time is not on their side; The longer Squeenix waits to do that remake, the less they can expect to earn from the fanbase (many of us who grew up playing FF7 in our early teens are starting careers/families and getting out of gaming. I know I'm losing interest).

Personally, I'm against a remake, given how ham-handed Squeenix was in creating the FF7 Compilation.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Down with the idea of FF remakes already. Hell, remakes in general. Move gaming forward, not backward.

Citizen Box

Feb 24, 2011
I am a big fan on Final Fantasy VII as it was one of the games I loved from that era, but lets be honest here, there is no way they will be making a remake of the game and who would actually WANT one?

Seriously, look at SE's track record so far with the current Final Fantasy games, do you really want it to go in that direction? A closed claustrophobic game where you can't even control all of your party members and having the game more focused on graphics than game play?

I would believe it would lose everything that made Final Fantasy VII great.

Also, if you wanted it for an actual console like PS3, good luck, according to Yoshinori Kitase the producer of Final Fantasy XIII it could take up to 12 years to develop. Probably a gross over estimation but even if took half that long, 6 years, that is still probably longer than the rest of the develop cycle for the system in question.

Aug 21, 2010
If you think this isn't a hoax you need your brain tested. Why would anyone being approached (either agency or freelancer) for work on localisation care about gameplay features? Why would they need to be told about the success of the 'original' game? Why would they Squenix even need to send this email, when they already have localisation teams? Why would it come from the PR team, and not "localisation" or similar?

Sorry if I'm stating the most obvious of obvious things, but no one else has said them yet. Still, I would like to live the sheerest action in total movie-mania. Hell yeah!

The Lawn

Apr 11, 2008
I never really got what the big deal with FF7 is or was...
I played it and I didn't find it that interesting.

The story is fairly generic, I saw the few twists coming a mile away.
And overall I didn't find it as fun as other RPGs I had played.

Maybe it was good in the time it came out. But does 3 years really detract that much from a games overall appeal?
Or maybe I didn't find it as interesting because I had just completed Skies of Arcadia, which in my opinion was a lot more fun.

Don't get me wrong, I did have fun playing it and I enjoyed it. Good game? Yes. Great game? No.
I won't be jumping for joy if an HD remake comes out because it isn't all that and a bag of crisps like many people seem to hype it up to be.