Latest game to hijack your interest?

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
FillerDmon said:
Overwatch. I played the demo just to try it out, because free demo.

I was not expecting to be spending every second of free time I had during that demo period playing, nor expecting to be pre-ordering the game.
I was a skeptic. A major skeptic. And I am a Blizzard fan, I was doubting them right up to the 11th hour regardless. Now I'm a day one buyer.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Endless Legend. It's one of those games I got a while ago and never quite got into for some reason. But now I've picked it up again and I'm stunned by not just how well done it is, but how insanely creative the world and the factions are, not to mention that it gives actual drastic differences between how the various factions play instead of just the usual "this faction gets 10% more gold per turn".

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
E3 has yet to come around, so I have yet to see gameplay of things I am interested in, namely Horizon Zero Dawn and Battlefield 1.

I was considering Mirror's Edge, but after pondering on whether all this running around and okay combat was worth a full game and deciding it wasn't, I will probably wait for a sale.

Jan 27, 2011
Charli said:
FillerDmon said:

I was not expecting to be spending every second of free time I had during that demo period playing, nor expecting to be pre-ordering the game.
I was a skeptic. A major skeptic. And I am a Blizzard fan, I was doubting them right up to the 11th hour regardless. Now I'm a day one buyer.
All these stories of sudden converts must be making a few Blizzard guys pat themselves on the back and look at the execs going "See? We TOLD you that giving everyone a free taste would convince them all to buy it!"

Seriously, that's like 3 people in this thread alone who would not have bought the game who are now either day 1 buyers or preorderers. It's insane. :D

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
I bought Enter the Gungeon thanks to Northernlion's recommendation and LP. I finished a couple a runs, turned it off and clocked in at 50 minutes and I was like, "that was fun, might make a nice little distraction now and then".

That was a week or two ago. I closed the game last night and suddenly that number is 32 hours. Send help.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I've sunk like, five hours into the One Piece: Burning Blood demo. The worst part is that I've been sweeping 1v3, and I've only been using Luffy and Ace because Aokiji and Franky are garbage. Not so much Franky, but either way I've been playing way too much for a 4 character fighting game demo. I can't wait to get my hands on the rest of the roster. If he plays like I think he will I'll end up maining Sabo. The localization is terrible though.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I am surprised, but I've been hijacked by ESO. I did think I would be but it was on sale for super cheap. I've never played more than an week of an MMO before. The stories and questing are terrible, and the combat is the worst. But ESO has somehow made that system into something I can enjoy. I heard there was big improvements, I cant tell, I wasn't a day one player. I got it a couple of months ago and haven't played anything else (I logged into steam last week for the first time in ages and the amount of updates it required was a bit silly)

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Ihateregistering1 said:
Endless Legend. It's one of those games I got a while ago and never quite got into for some reason. But now I've picked it up again and I'm stunned by not just how well done it is, but how insanely creative the world and the factions are, not to mention that it gives actual drastic differences between how the various factions play instead of just the usual "this faction gets 10% more gold per turn".
Out of Curiosity, does it matter if you play the games in the series in any particular order? I have Legend, Space and Dungeon but haven't played any of them(damn steam sales). I'm just curious if you miss out on anything by picking one up and starting it. All of them look interesting and I've heard all of them are different.

Shadowsetzer

Jul 15, 2010
Armello, actually. It's consumed an amazing amount of my time considering it's a digital board game.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Dalisclock said:
Ihateregistering1 said:
Out of Curiosity, does it matter if you play the games in the series in any particular order? I have Legend, Space and Dungeon but haven't played any of them(damn steam sales). I'm just curious if you miss out on anything by picking one up and starting it. All of them look interesting and I've heard all of them are different.
From what I've heard, they are all in the same "universe", but as far as I can tell it doesn't seem to make any difference. Maybe there are subtle details you'll pick up on if you play Space and Dungeon first, but you can still definitely play Legend without playing the other games.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
aegix drakan said:
Charli said:
FillerDmon said:

All these stories of sudden converts must be making a few Blizzard guys pat themselves on the back and look at the execs going "See? We TOLD you that giving everyone a free taste would convince them all to buy it!"

Seriously, that's like 3 people in this thread alone who would not have bought the game who are now either day 1 buyers or preorderers. It's insane. :D
It's an excellent freaking move. Make a GOOD GAME, then give people a chance to FEEL just how GOOD it is. Not even one that costs them anything. I bought far more games back when I could rent them and spend 5 bucks to see if they were worth my time. A free try is stupid to pass up, and the taste was all I need to be excited for it.

Nintendo actually did this same trick with Splatoon. Global Splat-Demos to try it out that made me find my nearest game-retailer and demand them take my money in -full- to be able to pick it up and play it once it comes out.

Right now, just trying to figure out the best chance to buy it so I can get it for myself and be able to gift-wrap it for my friend. Though I wouldn't mind just biting the bullet and droping $120 on it for me and her, because it -really- is that good. Think I'll do that if I can't find anything better by tomorrow.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I've been playing a lot of Persona 4 on the PS2 lately.

I had heard a lot about the game, and decided to give it a go and I've been enjoying it imensley.
It has joined the ranks of my top 10 of all time.

Great game all around.

Hieronymusgoa

Dec 27, 2011
FillerDmon said:

Totally with you. I thought well you got some time and its free to try and then I was "I want to get home! I need to play!" And I even had a lot of fun playing not my classic types of characters like Reinhardt and such.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
Ever since I played the Nioh (AKA Samurai Souls) alpha demo, nothing else has interested me. That game came out of nowhere and gave me another great Souls-like hit after I'd finished Dark Souls 3 several times. It seemed horrible at first but once I figured out what I was doing I was hooked. Eagerly awaiting the final game.

Arma 3 was good enough on its free weekend that I ended up buying it, and I bought a couple of smaller games (Salt and Sanctuary, Exanima) today, so we'll see. Maybe one of those grabs me. I've been looking forward to playing both of those.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Ezekiel said:
All the Souls games have done that, including Dark Souls III, which I finished yesterday night. I think it's the worst Souls game, but a weak Souls game is still far more enthralling than most of the games made today.
Do you think your opinion would change if they released 3 in place of 2, with 2 being the last?

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Sunset Overdrive. I didn't think I was going to like it but it was free so I figured why not. And holy crap did I have fun with it. Which was odd because the missions were pretty repetative and I hate collectibles but somehow Insomniac made it fun. Even dying was kinda fun except on boss battles where they set you back to a checkpoint.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
I recently finished Guacamelee which had been sitting on my PS4 for some time because I thought it would be some boring platformer. After playing a demo level at a Best Buy and finding it very fun, I loaded it up and had a great time with it.