Latest game to hijack your interest?

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Vigormortis said:
DrunkOnEstus said:
The growing pains of idTech 5 have been passed
Perhaps, or perhaps not. Hard to say since DOOM runs on idTech 6.

<.<
I'm assuming you know what I meant. iDTech 6 is obviously built upon the groundwork laid by 5, with megatexturing and built-in optimization for parity across PCs and consoles, with many rendering techniques that weren't possible with 5. 5 was the growing pains, and the combination of Carmack's coding legacy and groundwork with the fellow genius minds at id and former Crytek minds has finally bore the fruit with Doom from the seeds laid by Rage. Id tech 6 is now an engine worth licensing, especially for developers who wish to utilize the unique poor-CPU/better GPU architecture of consoles while taking advantage of the extra power of PCs.

It almost makes me wish that Bethesda would retroactively re-do Wolfenstein and The Evil Within in 6 (and give Tango some fucking English documentation and training this time around), because I've always loved the kind of environments that the texturing process allowed the artists to achieve while accepting the jank that came with using 5. I hope Dishonored 2 uses it or a fork of it, as well as the next Wolfenstein (they will make another one, right? Please?). I'm also very glad that Bethesda (whether they realize the difference or what it means) let the tech continue to be based on an open API, and Doom should end up being the primary benchmark for Vulkan and SteamOS/Linux gaming on the highest graphical levels.

Again, you probably knew what I meant. Or not. At least I got to nerd out about it regardless.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
DrunkOnEstus said:
I'm assuming you know what I meant.
Probably, but I couldn't miss the opportunity to be a smartass.

It almost makes me wish that Bethesda would retroactively re-do Wolfenstein and The Evil Within in 6 (and give Tango some fucking English documentation and training this time around), because I've always loved the kind of environments that the texturing process allowed the artists to achieve while accepting the jank that came with using 5. I hope Dishonored 2 uses it or a fork of it, as well as the next Wolfenstein (they will make another one, right? Please?). I'm also very glad that Bethesda (whether they realize the difference or what it means) let the tech continue to be based on an open API, and Doom should end up being the primary benchmark for Vulkan and SteamOS/Linux gaming on the highest graphical levels.
I would prefer Bethesda just abandon the abysmal Gamebryo engine in favor of something like idTech 6, Source 2, Unreal 5, or even Unity 5.

Gamebryo needs to go away. Desperately.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Vigormortis said:
I would prefer Bethesda just abandon the abysmal Gamebryo engine in favor of something like idTech 6, Source 2, Unreal 5, or even Unity 5.

Gamebryo needs to go away. Desperately.
You'll hear no dissent from me. I knew in my heart that Fallout 4 would simply take the advancements from Skyrim and dump the Fallout art and weapon kit all over it, but I still hoped that it would show Bethesda's next technology for creating the open worlds that made them famous, not a continued refinement of the very technology that did the same. The animations are so robotic, the "God Rays" were one of only a few advancements that made one pretend that it could trade blows graphically with a Witcher 3, Far Cry, or even an Assassin's Creed, and the level of jank that permeates everything really should be unacceptable.

With the massive reduction in RPG elements, F4 really does end up competing with something like Far Cry, and it's unbelievably obvious that the technology limits every possible thing the game attempts. Granted, it's probably the reason that modding is so simple in these games (as well as their modular file structure and code design, but I'm not a modder), but at this point it isn't enough to keep the old dog around. I imagine that if any game released with Gambryo not named ES/Fallout and not released by Bethesda, it wouldn't receive the excuses and "slides" that FO4 got, it wouldn't be enough that "the community will come together and make it great, even on Xbox one", and it would only be considered a notch above such fare as Two Worlds 2 or Bound By Flame. I don't know why I have an extended diatribe for every offhand comment here, but I'm enjoying it.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Well the Far Harbor DLC just dropped for Fallout 4 so that's got a fair bit of my attention at the moment.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
DrunkOnEstus said:
You'll hear no dissent from me. I knew in my heart that Fallout 4 would simply take the advancements from Skyrim and dump the Fallout art and weapon kit all over it, but I still hoped that it would show Bethesda's next technology for creating the open worlds that made them famous, not a continued refinement of the very technology that did the same. The animations are so robotic, the "God Rays" were one of only a few advancements that made one pretend that it could trade blows graphically with a Witcher 3, Far Cry, or even an Assassin's Creed, and the level of jank that permeates everything really should be unacceptable.
I've often said the same but have been told I just don't understand that, "The jank is what makes Fallout great!" I'm not sure I agree with that sentiment, but to each her/his own. Who am I to dictate what people should like?

With the massive reduction in RPG elements, F4 really does end up competing with something like Far Cry, and it's unbelievably obvious that the technology limits every possible thing the game attempts. Granted, it's probably the reason that modding is so simple in these games (as well as their modular file structure and code design, but I'm not a modder), but at this point it isn't enough to keep the old dog around. I imagine that if any game released with Gambryo not named ES/Fallout and not released by Bethesda, it wouldn't receive the excuses and "slides" that FO4 got, it wouldn't be enough that "the community will come together and make it great, even on Xbox one", and it would only be considered a notch above such fare as Two Worlds 2 or Bound By Flame.
Thing is, there are engines just as 'mod friendly' as Gamebryo. Some even more so. There's no meaningful, technical, or creative advantages to Gamebryo. I suspect its continued use is a combination of familiarity and a fear of change, both from Bethesda and within the modding community.

I could be far off the mark, of course. I can't really say for sure. What I can say, though, is that Bethesda could achieve so much more with Fallout and Elder Scrolls if they'd just drop that needlessly antiquated engine.

I don't know why I have an extended diatribe for every offhand comment here, but I'm enjoying it.
Passion for the topic, maybe?

I don't know, but the reason doesn't really matter as long as you're enjoying yourself.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
Overwatch for me. I was already pretty interested, but after seeing more and more of the game and playing it myself it really has me excited.

The main reason being that despite having some of the aesthetic aspects of a moba(Heroes, ultimates) before anything else Overwatch is well thought out, polished shooter, the likes of which I haven't seen for a while. At its core it is a class based shooter that isn't bogged down by any of the 'modern shooter' baggage that so many developers seem to love cramming into games that don't need them. While you may come up against any number of combinations of characters, you will always know what you are up against when facing a particular Hero. There is never going to a Reinhardt with Roadhog's chainhook, you will never see Mercy throw up an ice wall, etc.

Even the ultimates, while powerful are still fair to deal with because of there distinct visual/audio cues and the fact that many of them can easily be shut down outright by a number of different abilities or the hero killed off before they can do any damage. I never had an instance where I felt I there was nothing I could have done like I would in a loadout shooter where I could only know what they have after its already been used against me.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
The Game of Thrones mod for CK2. any game where i can lead a rebellion against the iron throne as Tyrion Lannister or marry Lyanna Stark to Oberyn Martell is well worth the time