Latest XBL Exploit Takes Aim at User's Credit Cards

frago roc

Aug 13, 2009
mjc0961 said:
Uhm, what? This doesn't exactly sound like our info was compromised. It sounds like some games were compromised and the responsible parties are demanding $10 to fix their targets accounts. If they had the CC info, why would they do this "Give us $10 and we'll fix your stats" nonsense if they could just take your info and go buy themselves some stuff on their own.

I think this author needs to do some more research and learn the difference between phishing and hacking. How you get "Microsoft has posted a Service Alert, warning Xbox Live users that their credit cards have been compromised by hackers through a Modern Warfare 2 exploit." from "Users may receive potential phishing attempts via title specific messaging while playing Modern Warfare 2." is beyond me.

Ilikemilkshake said:
Anyone who still supports hackers after this week... can... go away... :(
Anyone who thinks all hackers are evil after this week... can.... go away... :(

Let me ask you this, would you hate anyone who still supports the police after a week of stories about dirty cops? If you answered yes, at least you're consistent in your ignorance. But if you answered no, maybe it's time to think about why (which should be "not all cops are dirty just because some of them are") and start applying that reason to other groups.
Agreed with both points. Escapist sensationalizes far too much and idiots stigmatize all hackers.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
mjc0961 said:
Ilikemilkshake said:

Let me ask you this, would you hate anyone who still supports the police after a week of stories about dirty cops? If you answered yes, at least you're consistent in your ignorance. But if you answered no, maybe it's time to think about why (which should be "not all cops are dirty just because some of them are") and start applying that reason to other groups.
With all the shit that is going on because of those bad-apple hackers, I can't really blame anyone for disliking said hackers.

We're not addressing the "good" hackers here, those hackers aren't in this situation. It's those few "bad apples" that are going over and making shit happen for everyone else. Black hat hackers get the most attention because they cause the most ruckus, so I can't really blame anyone for having this kind of hate towards them, even if it is (un)fairly justified (whatever).

Don't misunderstand me, though, on the rest of your post I agree completely. The Escapist's recent sensationalism (hell, it's been going on for a while even before this) type of journalism is getting on my nerves. I really should keep up with other websites instead of this one.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
Hey, at least Xbox fans can't complain that Sony gets all the hacker love, now they have their own attacks to say "Hey, someone cares about stealing our money too!"

This is just a sad day. Sony's taken down, and now XBL is being attacked. You'd think major million (or billion) dollar companies would ensure that they had extra hack free systems, guess their spending all that money on motion controls and now a glassesless 3D somethingness :p

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
first the major bank and store E-mail theft, then PSN, now this, that's a lot of shit in a short time. (FUCK)

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
allistairp said:
Latest XBL Exploit Takes Aim at User's Credit Cards

Microsoft has posted a Service Alert, warning Xbox Live users that their credit cards have been compromised by hackers through a Modern Warfare 2 exploit.

"Users may receive potential phishing attempts via title specific messaging while playing Modern Warfare 2," the warning reads.

What Microsoft hasn't said is how to know if you've been hacked, how to prevent it from happening and why this is happening now. However, a quick glance at recent posts on the Xbox.com forum unveils statements from individual XBL users who have been attacked - some who have been hit as far back as a month ago and are still waiting for Microsoft to respond.

Also, it seems Modern Warfare 2 isn't the only game that hackers are using to access user information.

"I was de-ranked and my points are now in the negative in Call of Duty 4," XBL user PIOAKADRAMAFREE wrote [http://forums.xbox.com/36352860/ShowPost.aspx]. "I had a 55 gold cross [rank] and my score on the leaderboard was 55k. After getting hacked, I have a 1 gold cross and a negative score. The player and I exchanged private messages and within those messages he demanded that $10 be paid to him through Paypal to unhack my account."

This news comes following Sony's recent announcement [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109568-Sony-Admits-Private-PSN-Info-Has-Been-Stolen-All-Of-It] that 77 million Playstation Network users' accounts, including credit card information, have been accessed by cyber criminals.

Internet-capable consoles have seen their fair share of exploits and hackers over the years, but mostly good things have come from these communities: doing crazy things in Linux-enabled PS3s, making homebrew games for the Wii and letting PSP users get rid of their discs and run their PS1 games before Sony did. However, this past week suggests a much darker presence that hackers can have on console gaming.

Xbox Live has seen its fair share of phishing scams in the past, but these attempts relied on pretending to be Xbox support and tricking users into giving their information through email. These recent Call of Duty cyber-attacks are the first time users have had their information accessed in-game, via hackers' modded Xbox 360s.

Stay tuned for updates but, for now, you might want to avoid playing any Call of Duty titles online. Excuse me but I have to get back to obsessively checking my bank account...

Source: Xbox.com [http://support.xbox.com/en-gb/Pages/xbox-live/xbox-live-status.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0]

Ooh, a new news room guy. Welcome!
O.T.
This is hilarious. Everyone but me, someone without a PS3 who also dislikes Modern Warfare, seems to be getting hacked now.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Crap, I've been playing cod recently as well. At least I didnt give my bank details to Microsoft and so far I haven't received any messages.

Here's hoping we get an all clear by the time the new map pack comes out, I want-I need, my badass Robert englund zombie killing action.

I need it.

Also, can anyone give me a clear idea of what kind of stuff I need to look out for? I'm not good with technology, and I'm paranoid, so I want to be on my guard.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
This is totally Microsoft's fault
Now where are those guys who called the security in PS3 incompetent?

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
mjc0961 said:
Uhm, what? This doesn't exactly sound like our info was compromised. It sounds like some games were compromised and the responsible parties are demanding $10 to fix their targets accounts. If they had the CC info, why would they do this "Give us $10 and we'll fix your stats" nonsense if they could just take your info and go buy themselves some stuff on their own.

I think this author needs to do some more research and learn the difference between phishing and hacking. How you get "Microsoft has posted a Service Alert, warning Xbox Live users that their credit cards have been compromised by hackers through a Modern Warfare 2 exploit." from "Users may receive potential phishing attempts via title specific messaging while playing Modern Warfare 2." is beyond me.

Ilikemilkshake said:

Who said anything about hating people? Im saying anyone who still thinks hackers are always the always the good guys, taking from the rich and giving to the poor, are a bit naive as this clearly isnt the case. And the fact you compare them to the police kind of shows you think that.
Im not saying ALL hackers are bad, far from it but people seem to think even now, that the hackers are still the good guys in all this.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
OH SWEET GOD WHAT GAMING HELL IS THIS!!!

Anyway yeah tragic, I'm pretty sure the worlds heading towards an apocalypse.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
...huh? I might just be missing something, but this doesn't seem like nearly as big a deal as the Sony incident. Just looks like some people hacked others' CoD profiles, dicked up their stats, and are black mailing them to fix them. Then again, I probably did just miss something... anywho, I only ever used prepaid cards on XBL, so I'm good. Now if steam gets hacked, there will be hell to pay.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Grey_Focks said:
...huh? I might just be missing something, but this doesn't seem like nearly as big a deal as the Sony incident. Just looks like some people hacked others' CoD profiles, dicked up their stats, and are black mailing them to fix them. Then again, I probably did just miss something... anywho, I only ever used prepaid cards on XBL, so I'm good. Now if steam gets hacked, there will be hell to pay.
I guess everyone is like you and never used credit cards to purchase the oh so much stuff on the Xbox live market or even just to pay for their subscriptions.
Its like paying to be punched in the stomach only to be kicked in the balls later.

The Sane

Apr 2, 2010
I know the article was specifically set up to get as many knee jerk reactions as possible, but its still depressing to see how many people are falling for this exaggerated piece of 'news'.

Phishing scams are not hacking.
Phishing scams are not news.
The only hacking here that has occurred is on the games rankings database/server (which is also nothing new).