Latest XBL Exploit Takes Aim at User's Credit Cards

allistairp

Apr 22, 2011
Latest XBL Exploit Takes Aim at User's Credit Cards

Microsoft has posted a Service Alert, warning Xbox Live users that they may be threatened by phishing attempts through a Modern Warfare 2 exploit.

Hackers may not have access to your credit card information or XBL account, but some XBL users have claimed that their in-game rank and leaderboard data in Modern Warfare 2 has been altered by other users asking for money. Xbox.com has not commented on these dubious claims. Xbox.com's alert only warns of "specific messaging."

This news comes following Sony's recent announcement [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109568-Sony-Admits-Private-PSN-Info-Has-Been-Stolen-All-Of-It] that 77 million Playstation Network users' accounts, including credit card information, have been accessed by cyber criminals.

Xbox Live has seen its fair share of phishing scams in the past, but these attempts relied on pretending to be Xbox support and tricking users into giving their information through email.

Stay tuned for updates but, for now, you might want to be wary of playing any Call of Duty titles online.

Source: Xbox.com [http://support.xbox.com/en-gb/Pages/xbox-live/xbox-live-status.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0]

Update: Hackers have not accessed any XBL users' information, including credit card info. This post has been altered to reflect that all claims made that say otherwise are unproven at the moment. We apologize for the confusion.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Anyone who still supports hackers after this week... can... go away... :(

EDIT: im talking about the hackers in the news this week...

angel34

Jan 16, 2009
This is beyond annoying. Why do people feel they have the right to invade the one area of life that feels safe from the outside world? (ignore the fact it's a FPS for a second) First the PSN and now this? Seriously why cant hackers just put their computer knowledge to something useful instead of messing about with something that spreads joy, which they clearly don't have.

Simple Bluff

Dec 30, 2009
Good time to be in the hacker kerfuffle it seems.

Catchpa:
Ilopt Concilium - noted because it sounds epic.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
At least there will be less "Should have bought a 360" going around. Silver lining, silver lining...

Misho-

May 20, 2010
Wow so XBOX as well??? Is there no one who can catch these criminals?!

//It kind of reminded me of all the guys saying in the PSN hack issue: "Now seems a good time to go to Xbox Live..." "Or this doesn't happens in Xbox Live because I pay!"...

It just goes to show hackers can get anywhere if they're determined...

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
Uh, what?

Since when does "Users may receive potential phishing attempts" equal "their credit cards have been compromised by hackers" or even "you've been hacked"?

Phishing is commonplace; the only notable factor here is that it's being executed in a relatively closed environment. It's hardly the same as being directly hacked, and it's not an immediate compromise of your credit card details; it only works if you fall for it.

I hate to be one of those people waving the "bad journalism" banner, but this article makes a lot of arbitrary leaps that look somewhat like an attempt to cash in on the PSN controversy.

Wuffykins

Jun 21, 2010
allistairp said:
This news comes following Sony's recent announcement [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109568-Sony-Admits-Private-PSN-Info-Has-Been-Stolen-All-Of-It] that 77 million Playstation Network users' accounts, including credit card information, have been accessed by cyber criminals.
Oh for fu... Exactly when did "No evidence of, but we're not ruling out the possibility" become "has been compromised" ? No really, I'm genuinely asking this because the slow progression from what Sony's officially stated is really scaring people for no proper reason.

Also, please explain how this new way of phishing counts as people's credit cards being compromised? From what it sounds like at the moment is that user score and the like are being held ransom more than anything else, because if Microsoft somehow lets Modern Warfare 2 access a Biling & Authorization system they've got some technical genius working behind the curtains there.

I'm sorry if that comes of as harsh, but I'm just seeing the wording of these stories putting people on edge for no reason at the moment.

Sentox6 said:
Well damn. This'll be one of the few times I'm happy to have been ninja'd