Latest Xbox Dashboard Update Makes Pirates Sad

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
Win! I believe pirating prevents the ability to have game companies make the games we want to have made.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
Garak73 said:
bojac6 said:
Nerf Ninja said:
Just a question from a non pirate but is that update legal? I don't remember being informed of this and I thought they had to tell you exactly what is in an update?

Probably wrong but I thought I'd ask.
I thought this was in the EULA you have to accept when you first install the update
EULA is not legally binding.
That's irrelevant to the question. Nerf Ninja asked if if they could legally make this update without informing us and I said we were informed. Doesn't matter whether the EULA is legally binding, they can still point to it and say "We informed you and put it in a place that has a reasonable expectation of being read. You had to say you read it to install the update." You may be able to argue your way out of the terms of the agreement, but that's different from being informed of said terms.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Cosplay Horatio said:
Win! I believe pirating prevents the ability to have game companies make the games we want to have made.
One of the many factors but I wouldn't say it completely prevents them, ps1 and ps2 had an enormous amount of pirates yet they still managed to give some incredible games that many would agree are better then most games today

Anyway on topic, as long as it doesn't fuck up the gaming experience then go for it. As long as it still means I can use my xbox games on multiple consoles Microsoft can do it for all I care

zfactor

Jan 16, 2010
LOLZ

Shitty DRM has infected the consoles! Now console gamers know the bane of PC gamers' existance!

It's funny that they will ban suspected pirates from Xbox live, private PC servers for the win!

Om Nom Nom

Feb 13, 2010
Dear Microsoft DRM Division
The majority of the pirates play xbox offline with their copied disks on old or modded firmware. Oh, and of course, it'll probably be cracked within a week. Congratulations on doing abso-fucking-lutely no good at all, probably wasting a crap load of money, and persecuting bystanders and legitimate customers.

Regards
Someone who is VERY GLAD they aren't a M$ customer.

ThePeaceFrog

Oct 18, 2008
hmm, I just returned my copy of New Vegas because of a problem very similar to this - maybe it wasn't Obsidian's fault... Bugger it, Amazon better still give me a refund!

Feb 13, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
If we hear about a large number of Xbox Live bans in the near future, it'll probably be a result of this new piracy defense method.
Or, if Microsofts latest press releases are anything to go buy, news of a large number of Xbox Live bans, with surprisingly little information on how large.

thublihnk

Jul 24, 2009
Yarr, I be angry. (Not really, I don't pirate console games.)

Also: I can't imagine this won't have some form of collateral damage on paying customers. Just like every other anti-piracy measure.

Gvaz

Sep 8, 2008
Actually this is already fixed and will be released sometime soon.

Only on slims though, but still. It's a non-issue.

Coldman42

Nov 17, 2009
Nerf Ninja said:
Just a question from a non pirate but is that update legal? I don't remember being informed of this and I thought they had to tell you exactly what is in an update?

They had a whole new terms of use for everyone to read about the download, i believe it's in there.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
SomethingAmazing said:
Garak73 said:
bojac6 said:
Nerf Ninja said:

I thought this was in the EULA you have to accept when you first install the update
EULA is not legally binding.
It really should be though. It would make things a lot easier and help the industry a lot.
Right... http://xkcd.com/501/

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
Wouter Heyndrickx said:
why would anyone need to inform someone on updates, it just happens to make things better
e.g.: anti-piracy
Yeah, make things better, like removing Other OS or frying gates on your motherboard. Updates modify something you own, therefore, they should have to tell you specifically what their doing. Do you want to take your car into a mechanic and have him just tell you, "It's an update." No, you want to know exactly what he's going to do to it. Same with consoles.