Laws of physics broken as a perpetual motion machine was invented

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
*yawn* another "Perpetual Motion" hoax. Someone comes up with a fake perpetual motion or free energy machine or water-powered engine every week or so.

tavelkyosoba

Oct 6, 2009
Afraid to say, but out understanding of dynamics is quite complete.

However, we don't completely understand quantum mechanics (we actually know very little) and it may be possible to extract energy from some yet untheorized media. But any kind of basement tinkerer is definitely not tapping into the frontiers of quantum physics with bicycle hubs and magnets or whatever crap people find magical these days.

and this

http://gadgetopia.com/images/perpetual_motion.jpg

it "looks" like it would work because the extended weights exert a greater torque on the hub than the shortened weights...which is true. But there are always MORE weights on the opposite side (it's plain to see; 7 are on the left side, 4 are on the right, plus one in the middle) so the net torque is always zero. It's an overly complicated flywheel.

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
This is a complete load. 1st off, perpetual motion is impossible due to thermodynamics. 2nd off, even if this thing really did produce electricity by using gravity, its not "creating" energy, just generating it by means of converting mechanical energy to electrical energy. 3rd off, this video offers no evidence that its doing anything, since for all we know it could be spinning due to a hidden power source or something. And finally, where's their peer-reviewed research paper and test results backing their claim?

tavelkyosoba

Oct 6, 2009
bz316 said:
This is a complete load. 1st off, perpetual motion is impossible due to thermodynamics. 2nd off, even if this thing really did produce electricity by using gravity, its not "creating" energy, just generating it by means of converting mechanical energy to electrical energy. 3rd off, this video offers no evidence that its doing anything, since for all we know it could be spinning due to a hidden power source or something. And finally, where's their peer-reviewed research paper and test results backing their claim?
Would people stop saying "the laws of thermodynmics"?

Please?

They're the laws of DYNAMICS, the study physical processes. thermodynamics is specifically the study of the relationship between heat and motion.

It just makes you sound silly.

SomethingAmazing said:
Besides, whatever happened to that one idea of magnetic motors? Just wondering...seems like a good plan.
Haha, I always like that one too. they always seem to forget that alternators are already made from permanent magnets.

tavelkyosoba

Oct 6, 2009
SomethingAmazing said:
tavelkyosoba said:
SomethingAmazing said:
Besides, whatever happened to that one idea of magnetic motors? Just wondering...seems like a good plan.
Haha, I always like that one too. they always seem to forget that alternators are already made from permanent magnets.
Since people are so convinced that something like that isn't possible and that most things like that turn out to be hoaxes, I would like to know what debunked that.
It turned out to be a really big inductor, which stores energy in a magnetic field. It resists change by converting the magnetic field into electrical energy.

It charges up by converting electrical current into a magnetic field. When you cut the power, the current is no longer inducing a magnetic field within the inductor, and the inductor compensates by inducing a current from the magnetic field (but in the opposite direction from the original current.)

It's not magic, just boring.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
It is impossible, as gravity works in "both directions", anyways, a perfect system is impossible, as the energy in the universe is constant. (or all of our physics is wrong)

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
viranimus said:
Actually I thought a perpetual motion machine requirement was not only to produce more energy than it uses, but to continually increase the level of energy production, basically making its production output infinitely exponential.
nah, thats just an added extra. it just has to produce more that it takes.
and this rickety, sound making contraption sure as hell doesnt XD
it wobbles for christs sake!

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
There's only one machine that I could accept to create energy,and that's the fusion reactor being worked on.Apparently(although I never read it from a source) the energy output is greater than the total energy injected inside via hydrogen isotopes.
But then again,that baby works both on the perceptable and quantum level of physics,so the Laws might not be broken.

If anyone knows about this and has a source,do share.Those attempts a making obscene amounts of energy are much more interesting than the guy who makes a "super-duper free energy machine"tm

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
SomethingAmazing said:
XMark said:
*yawn* another "Perpetual Motion" hoax. Someone comes up with a fake perpetual motion or free energy machine or water-powered engine every week or so.
Um, water powered engines exist and are used in real life power plants.
Obviously hydroelectric is real and works, but I wasn't talking about hydroelectric.

I meant when someone claims to have an engine that runs on burning hydrogen from water (or some silly variation on the idea), when really it takes more energy than it produces. Like these idiots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9iWaCMbw60
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KVM1UAPCzc

Double idiot points for the news stations giving them the time of day.

Serioli

Mar 26, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Serioli said:
lacktheknack said:
Futurenerd said:
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TRULY PERPETUAL ENERGY.
GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULLS HUMANITY AND STOP BELIEVING THESE GUYS WHO SAY THEY'VE MADE THESE.
JEEZE.
Just out of interest: how do you account for gravity?
Gravity is based on mass and all mass is decaying, eventually all mass will cease to exist and with it gravity. A really long timscale but not eternal/perpetual.
Fine, but the device would suffice to power Earth for as long as we'd care for it to do so.
To use gravity to move something you have to invest energy (moving it 'up') and the energy invested is always more than that which is produced due to energy losses (No such thing as 100% efficiency, always a loss usually shown as heat). If they claim that more energy goes into the battery than used, (Thin air e.g. 2kWh into battery for 1kWh investment), then we enter the realm of peer-reviewed, repeatable proof needed.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Hardly "perpetual" motion if it relies on planetary gravity.

Anyhow, if this is real, well, kudos to the creator. If not, it at least looks cool.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Ekonk said:
EES NOT POSSEEBLE

But what if it is?
Expect chaos. Gravity will cease to function, giant wormholes everywhere, paradoxes, complete damage to everything that ever was, ever is and ever will be...

Nothing big.

OT:

Fake until proven true. That is my current stance.

Cypher10110

Jul 16, 2009
Perpetual motion isn't free energy, and no energy is "free" it came from somewhere.

At least pretty much everyone here understands that. I'm glad the reasonable people out-number the ignorant in SOME places of the world.