League of Legends Muscles Past World of Warcraft

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
I just lost a LoL game, no to be honest, we got thrashed. I play at a casual level, and all it takes is one 1st rate player to come in and show us newbies how it's done. As a game, it passes the time quite nicely. My only problem is that owing to my non-existent reflexes and horrific coordination (I am mildly dispraxic) I can only play it like I was playing an RTS.
This means it's Heimerdinger or nothing, and one very defensive game for me.
As for the community, it all depends really. My level is just low enough so that most of my partners lack any kinds of pretensions for Diva like behaviour. You do get the occasional idiot that thinks they're that level, but they are easily ignored.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Mygaffer said:
Baldr said:
Those numbers are not so impressive compared to games that have paid subscribers or paying customers.
Except that they do have paying customers. They make tons of money from selling items and the like, from what I gather. Most free to play games make money through selling gold/items/experience, whatever. In fact free to play games are doing better than a lot of traditional paid games, especially in the MMO space.
What is there percentage of paying customers, I wouldn't be surprised if it was less than 20%, compared to WoW which has 100%. There is a large difference in player base when you can give something away for free. I know a lot of F2P games do better than P2P games in terms of money, but F2P games also sacrifice quality and player equality.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
You know I'm all for competition, but gamers by and large already know popularity does not equal quality or even success.

The gaming industry is getting so friggin' Hollywood. *Ramble*

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
Baldr said:
Mygaffer said:
Baldr said:
Those numbers are not so impressive compared to games that have paid subscribers or paying customers.
Except that they do have paying customers. They make tons of money from selling items and the like, from what I gather. Most free to play games make money through selling gold/items/experience, whatever. In fact free to play games are doing better than a lot of traditional paid games, especially in the MMO space.
What is there percentage of paying customers, I wouldn't be surprised if it was less than 20%, compared to WoW which has 100%. There is a large difference in player base when you can give something away for free. I know a lot of F2P games do better than P2P games in terms of money, but F2P games also sacrifice quality and player equality.
The number I heard at some point was around 35%, but I can't seem to find a source. I think the F2P developers are learning a lot from League of Legends though. For one thing, there isn't a single thing you can buy in LoL that gives you an advantage. The summoner level is maxed at 30, and you hit that fairly quickly. And you can only buy runes using in-game currency that you earn by playing the game. And all you can buy with real money are skins and champions (champions can also be bought with in game currency, and they rotate 14 free champions every week for people to play and test out so they might decide whether or not to buy a certain champion). And a lot of champions can be bought after playing just a few games. If anything, LoL has done an amazing job with the F2P model without sacrificing player equality.

On another note, the new Tribes game is attempting a similar model, so I hope they can get it right too!

Spinhorse

Aug 2, 2010
Zeetchmen said:
Oh RageshotGG eh? Just watch his stream and you'll get to see a fine sample of how bad a comunity LoL has.

A clip of him in action.
This is an example of how bad the community can GET not how bad the community IS. Granted, HSGG is a whiny little *****, but for every HSGG there is a GuardsmanBob.

In the past few days tho (I guess the good players moved on to skyrim) it's really a circus in there, bunch of retards smashing their heads against eachother until the fate fairy decides who wins the match.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
YuheJi said:
Baldr said:
Mygaffer said:
Baldr said:
The number I heard at some point was around 35%, but I can't seem to find a source. I think the F2P developers are learning a lot from League of Legends though. For one thing, there isn't a single thing you can buy in LoL that gives you an advantage. The summoner level is maxed at 30, and you hit that fairly quickly. And you can only buy runes using in-game currency that you earn by playing the game. And all you can buy with real money are skins and champions (champions can also be bought with in game currency, and they rotate 14 free champions every week for people to play and test out so they might decide whether or not to buy a certain champion). And a lot of champions can be bought after playing just a few games. If anything, LoL has done an amazing job with the F2P model without sacrificing player equality.

On another note, the new Tribes game is attempting a similar model, so I hope they can get it right too!
35% of 11.5 million = ~4million, less than half the number of WoW Subscriptions, which was my point in the first place.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
What I can gather from the headline of the article is that humans like free stuff.
I would be interested to know how many people torrented Skyrim and play it.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Mygaffer said:
Baldr said:
YuheJi said:
Baldr said:
Mygaffer said:
Baldr said:

35% of 11.5 million = ~4million, less than half the number of WoW Subscriptions, which was my point in the first place.
Do you know how many millions of dollars that is? They are obviously paying for the servers, employees, offices, utility cots, etc. They are not doing that for too long without turning a profit. I don't know if you are some sort of WoW fanboy who just wants to argue that WoW is "better", personally I don't play MMO games and I don't care. But Free 2 Play is the fastest growing payment model in the MMO space so obviously it has some potential to make some big money for developers and publishers.

WoW has also been a big success, in many ways the biggest success in video game history. WoW has made a lot of people rich but looking at subscriptions and they are down, down, down. Free 2 Play games are giving traditional MMO's some fierce competition. Besides WoW many other MMO games using traditional subscription models have failed.
Actually I am a indie developer, I'm more concerned about quality of product like WoW over some of the bad F2P MMOs out there, yes LoL is not an MMO, and I'm not saying it bad either. My problem is LoL has to do more with Riot's business practices more than it game mechanics.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Thats cool and all LoL, and I'd love to play you, but you dropped the mac client for no good reason... so I can't...
Also: if LoL surpassed WoW when it was in it's prime--like in the middle of BC and/or start of wotlk--then that would be impressive. Being better than the pathetic game that WoW is now, is hardly impressive to me.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
LoL is my holdover until DotA2.
At least as long as it has local multiplayer (which I'm still questioning), so I don't have to rely on a centralized, buggy/laggy/overwhelmed server system just to play.

Quite frankly, I can't stand most of the assholes in LoL.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
This is good news for PC gaming, seems to be getting even more popular. I guess with the plateauing of video game graphics people don't need to upgrade their computers as much so it's more affordable.

Archereus

Aug 18, 2008
Not saying the stats are wrong but I don't think all of the accounts are active, I have like 10 different smurf accounts on this game and I know I am not the only one.

dghjdgdjf

Nov 9, 2009
Aprilgold said:
Deeleted said:
Aprilgold said:
Paying customers would still be around that number, simply due to low prices. If you mean people who spent more then X money then your getting closer, or X amounts of purchases, but the number will still be larger then WoW. Hell, if we look at the increase in Free-To-Play MMO's popularity as of late it will show that more people prefer the Free-To-Play method over the paying one.

Dimitriov said:
But, but... it's soooooooo boooooooring! D:<
Guess what, you activated my trap card.... Anyways, League of Legends, HoN or any other Dota style game are actually very fast paced, very pubstomping or very god damn boring depending on how your playing and how well your doing. Its more about finding out which one fits how you want to play rather then the game itself.....
Seriuosly, if League of Legends is boring then I'd love to hear what you think of the repetitiveness of quests in WoW.
LoL isn't fast paced.
First of all, you need to act more on that, saying "LoL isn't fast paced" Is a blatant lie, its like saying a fighting game isn't fast paced, which is basically what Dota style games are like from a top down perspective. You actually broke a Escapist rule since thats low amount of info, I.E. you could have a strike put against you for not speaking more on the matter.

Have you played it? Trying to state that its 'not fast paced' is just a lie, one champion can be very feed heavy while another is a jungler, while many more are more about brute strength. Just because a game takes more or less a hour to complete does not make it slow paced. Its just long. Like stated before, its just playstyle, I like to try and damage many of the opponents towers and champions themselves early game, while others like to spend time in the jungle and ETC. You have nothing really to show that I'm wrong so I'm guessing that I'm right since you didn't want to argue with me. Your post offers nothing to talk about and nothing to counter attack at, its just pointless, really.
I have played over 200 games in it, around 2 600 games in HoN and probably around 1 000 games in DotA, it's not fast paced compared to other games in the same genre.

Look at the competitive play. In League of Legends you have a metagame that is focused on farming until endgame and then pushing, the game itself is also a lot slower compared to DotA/HoN (Projectiles, pathing etc.) In DotA and HoN the game is a lot more varied and definitely a lot more focused on ganking/counterganking since it's a lot more rewarding and less forgiving than League of Legends.

That's why you often see games that result in under 20 kills in League of Legends and why just yesterday you saw a 40 minute game end up in exactly a 100 kills at Dreamhack in DotA 2.

Maybe I should have been more clear with my post and added "compared to DotA/HoN". But I was just voicing my own opinion, I wasn't looking for an argument.

League of Legends rewards a farm-centered game, that's why it isn't fast paced compared to its competition.