Leaked Deus Ex Preview Build Impresses Fans

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Odjin said:
That leaked build is a good way to see if one is a true Deus-Ex fan or not because if you like "that" then you can't be a real Deus-Ex fan (or you never played and understood the original). At last it could have been worse (with other words a step forward compared to DX:IW but still way behind DX). Still though a non-buy... and not only because of the steam-forced-down-your-throat crap going on. With a steam-free version we can discuss but with steam-forced... forget it.
As someone who's played Deus Ex at least 5 times since it was released, I'm glad to say that I'll be having a lot of fun with this, while you and your ilk sit around fuming about the changes and bragging about how the rest of us just don't "get it." Very glad indeed.

Apr 28, 2008
Huh. Well, this is different.

They're handling of the situation is amazing. Did NOT expect this, at all. Plus, seems its spreading a lot of good news about the game. Good show Eidos/Square Enix.

Also great to hear about the size of the thing, and that its good. Makes me even more optimistic.

If I were them, I'd go all the way and make it an official demo.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
DAMMIT! If only my internest connection was shit! I would watch those youtube playthroughs, but it would probably take me several hours to fully load one fucking video...

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Odjin said:
That leaked build is a good way to see if one is a true Deus-Ex fan or not because if you like "that" then you can't be a real Deus-Ex fan (or you never played and understood the original). At last it could have been worse (with other words a step forward compared to DX:IW but still way behind DX). Still though a non-buy... and not only because of the steam-forced-down-your-throat crap going on. With a steam-free version we can discuss but with steam-forced... forget it.
I'll be honest, I've never really understood this hatred of Steam. I get where some people have a dislike of the process but people who go, "I won't touch a game because it has Steamworks" strikes me as a bit odd. No offense.

Apr 28, 2008
Starke said:
Odjin said:
I'll be honest, I've never really understood this hatred of Steam. I get where some people have a dislike of the process but people who go, "I won't touch a game because it has Steamworks" strikes me as a bit odd. No offense.
Because being forced to use a service that offers nothing you want and that your completely uninterested in is just infuriating. To me at least.

I don't mind Steam, but I'd rather have customers able to choose to use it or not, instead of being forced to use it.

There's also quite a few other reasons, but I'll let the people who have real issues with Steam fill you in.

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
If they are asking for feedback then why don't they release it on steam and call it a demo(a very long one)?

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Odjin said:
Aww, where does one pick up "true DeusEx fan" card? How much is the membership in such sophisticated club of fine young gentleman and lovely dames? Is there some special dress code included? Or does everyone carries a stun gun in their pockets and that's how you greet?

Mocking "elitism" aside, from what i've seen, it's a very decent attempt, maybe not exactly DeusEx we used to know, but a good cyberpunk RPG/stealth-shooter with hacking system that brings back the great memories of CP2020 pen and paper hacking. I'm pretty sure i will buy this game for the "execution of the setting" (big words - yay!) alone and enjoy playing through it more than once most likely.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Oh man, we're finally getting Deus Ex 2, and it looks like it's actually a good game to boot!
I'm so excited.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
HankMan said:
It's a tactic that is revolutionizing advertising!
*slap

Get a hold of yourself man.

Arif_Sohaib said:
If they are asking for feedback then why don't they release it on steam and call it a demo(a very long one)?

Because demo's are official releases from the company, they have to be stable versions and supported by the company, a real "preview" of the game, but also they need to spend time cutting out lots of features and areas which means they have to spend time and money optimizing the game to run without all the fluff. Not as easy as it sounds. Meaning if something is crappy in the demo people can say "Man the demo sucked at [x]!" Whereas if something like this is released, any technical issues that pop up for some people or bugginess can be explained away as "Well, its an incomplete, illegal technical version. How much polish did you expect?".

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
allistairp said:
It's uncertain whether this leak is tied at all to the attack on Deus Ex's website, last month. The developer and publisher could not be reached for comment, at this time.
Yes. Because developers leave working builds of their beta on their public websites all the time...

Sorry, that strikes me as highly unlikely.

While such a correlation isn't technically impossible, it would require a great degree of human idiocy on Eidos' part to leave something like that on anything other than a private development network.

My money is on the obvious: One of the press members leaked it out. It happens.
But I'm rather glad to see how Eidos is handling it.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
NO! I refuse to watch this leak...I can't spoil myself.
Buuuut on the other hand, if I watch the leak and it impresses me, then I'll know pre-ordering it wasn't a mistake.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Either Eidos/Squeenix learnt from the industry's past mistakes quite well and dealt with this wonderfully, or dropped the leak themselves. Either way, I'm glad unpaid for opinions are positive, and gladder that a 10-12 hour segment can be considered a 'preview'.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
It has a long way to go, but the beta is very impressive. I love his shades, but does anyone else think he looks a lot like the Dude from Postal 2? I too, pre-ordered the augmented edition, it looks like this is the perfect blend of old and new school. There are some buildings you can explore that seem to be linked to sidequests, and they were very fun to explore. Although I hope they work on the freaking aim.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
AbstractStream said:
NO! I refuse to watch this leak...I can't spoil myself.
Buuuut on the other hand, if I watch the leak and it impresses me, then I'll know pre-ordering it wasn't a mistake.

Let me help you and say, without spoiling anything, it's worth it.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
I say now that I won't download this and see for myself.

Buuut...I mean, with the game months away there's a real honest possibility that I'll break. Time will tell.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
So it's like a demo. An -uber- demo. That's really good.

Well played guys, well played.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
Well, this will be preordered ASAP by myself. I wasn't so confident, but looking at the videos, it's looking pretty damn good.

ReaperzXIII

Jan 3, 2010
Hmm...should I go look for the leak?

You'll never find em!

I never started looking

Really looking forward to this game but I think the leak will spoil the surprise of what the campaign is like and I despise playing games on my crappy mouse and keyboard anyway so it doesn't take that much to resist playing.

Captcha: Council xchanste - THEY KNOW OF THE COUNCIL!!! THE CAPTCHA HAS BECOME SELF-AWARE!!!