Leaked Deus Ex Preview Build Impresses Fans

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
The authors assertion of it being illegal is wrong. It's only illegal if the company decides to prosecute, and they didn't say anything about that. As having played the leaked product I already pre-purchased on Steam, I can safely say it's freakin' awesome. Much better than Invisible Wars ever could be. I can't wait to see the final product.

I am impressed with SE's response to this. They are a much more adult company than many other publisher/developers. They aren't throwing a tantrum or complaining, they are actually taking genuine feedback based on it. It's reasons like this that I like SE. This is the reason why they aren't going anywhere, despite the companies very poor quarter.

sammyF70

Jun 3, 2008
Starke said:
I'll be honest, I've never really understood this hatred of Steam. I get where some people have a dislike of the process but people who go, "I won't touch a game because it has Steamworks" strikes me as a bit odd. No offense.
Quite a few reason really,

* The currency problem. 60 to 70 US dollars for a game, just because you happen to live in Europe is infuriating (and don't give me the crap about "but it's not Valve's fault, it's the publisher's", as they do the same with their own games)

* You don't *own* whatever you ~buy~ on Steam.There are enough stories about people whose accounts were banned and who couldn't play ANY of ~their~ Steam games anymore. Similarly, depending on where you lived/resided when you bought certain games you might or might not be able to play them if you move to another country.

* linked to it, the DRM works for many (most) people, for others it doesn't. This is particularly the case if you are mostly playing single player game (aka. games who wouldn't require you to be connected). Steam generally let's you play offline if you don't have a connection, but (from my own experience), sometimes it will just DEMAND that you connect to the website to apparently refresh some $h1t. If for some reasons you can't connect at that time then you are out of luck and won't be able to play the game you intended to play, no matter what.

* Playing a game is not possible if Steam is currently downloading a patch for it. You can actually turn the automatic patching off but how hard could it be to just download the patch in the background while letting the customer play and INSTALL whenever possible, instead of saying "we know you REALLY wanted to play this game right NOW, but you will need to wait for 2 hours until it is patched" ( depending on your connection speed, two hours is *very* realistic)

There are other, minor, issues, but those are the big ones.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
sammyF70 said:
Starke said:
I'll be honest, I've never really understood this hatred of Steam. I get where some people have a dislike of the process but people who go, "I won't touch a game because it has Steamworks" strikes me as a bit odd. No offense.
Quite a few reason really,

* The currency problem. 60 to 70 US dollars for a game, just because you happen to live in Europe is infuriating (and don't give me the crap about "but it's not Valve's fault, it's the publisher's", as they do the same with their own games)
I'm not sure what you're saying. That they up-charge ten to twenty dollars per title? Or that the prices have gone from $50 USD to $60 USD?

If it's the former, I don't know. That could be the VAT with enough of a markup that they don't have to be picky which VAT, though I am guessing.

If it's the latter, then that's something that has happened over here as well.

sammyF70 said:
* You don't *own* whatever you ~buy~ on Steam.There are enough stories about people whose accounts were banned and who couldn't play ANY of ~their~ Steam games anymore. Similarly, depending on where you lived/resided when you bought certain games you might or might not be able to play them if you move to another country.
I've actually heard more about people swiping steam accounts more than account wide bans. This is a little like people that are terrified of flying because of plane crash footage, no offense. It isn't an invalid claim, but it is incredibly rare. Realize that if they were banning legitimate users who had done nothing wrong their EULA wouldn't protect them from consumer protection inquiries in the EU.

Stateside it could be more of an issue, I'll grant you, but the lack of any legal action on the subject suggests that this is people who were doing... untoward things getting caught and then complaining about it. XBox Live has the same problem and gleefully airs the dirty laundry on a fairly regular basis.

As for it working in some countries, but not others? That's a legitimate gripe. Though it probably reflects legal realities regarding legislation and licensing from one country to another. Not saying it's fair, mind you, just why it happens.

Finally, it's worth remembering that you don't "own" any software you buy, according to the EULAs you agree to.

sammyF70 said:
* linked to it, the DRM works for many (most) people, for others it doesn't. This is particularly the case if you are mostly playing single player game (aka. games who wouldn't require you to be connected). Steam generally let's you play offline if you don't have a connection, but (from my own experience), sometimes it will just DEMAND that you connect to the website to apparently refresh some $h1t. If for some reasons you can't connect at that time then you are out of luck and won't be able to play the game you intended to play, no matter what.
You know, it's not against the rules to say "shit", and spelling it with a dollar sign and a one is kinda... well... tacky.

And yeah, I've actually run into this a few times. Not often, mostly back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and the service was new. Back when it was (sometimes) impossible to start the service in offline mode.

I haven't run into that in years, though. That said, the first time you run a piece of software using steam as the DRM, you'd better have an internet connection or it will commit process sepuku. There used to be an alternate phone authentication line (back when HL2 came out), but I haven't heard anything about it for years, so I kinda doubt it still exists.

sammyF70 said:
* Playing a game is not possible if Steam is currently downloading a patch for it. You can actually turn the automatic patching off but how hard could it be to just download the patch in the background while letting the customer play and INSTALL whenever possible, instead of saying "we know you REALLY wanted to play this game right NOW, but you will need to wait for 2 hours until it is patched" ( depending on your connection speed, two hours is *very* realistic)
Yeah, that's completely legitimate. The biggest flaw with the service I'm actively aware of is it's assumption that you're in the states on a broadband connection. If you fall out of either of those its value drops off sharply.

On top of that it has a habit of killing any download if you fire up a different game. This makes sense for online shooters or MMOs, but less sense if you're trying to patch up New Vegas and playing Hinterland to kill time (something I've actually done).

sammyF70 said:
I don't intend to sound like an apologist, I'm just trying to press and see what comes out of these issues.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
sammyF70 said:
To be fair, with the exception of the last point, those are problems with digital distribution in general.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
ResonanceGames said:
Odjin said:
That leaked build is a good way to see if one is a true Deus-Ex fan or not because if you like "that" then you can't be a real Deus-Ex fan (or you never played and understood the original). At last it could have been worse (with other words a step forward compared to DX:IW but still way behind DX). Still though a non-buy... and not only because of the steam-forced-down-your-throat crap going on. With a steam-free version we can discuss but with steam-forced... forget it.
As someone who's played Deus Ex at least 5 times since it was released, I'm glad to say that I'll be having a lot of fun with this, while you and your ilk sit around fuming about the changes and bragging about how the rest of us just don't "get it." Very glad indeed.
Guess you have to play it 10+ times then to understand it ;) . Nothing new though. Lots of people around considering DX a shooter or what the hell else not understanding what made this game great and why DX:HR is a lackluster attempt to cash in on the DX franchise. At last not as bad as DX:IW but still riddled with bad design choices left and right. Steam-forced, cover-system, camera-nausea, takedown-idiocy, pseudo-stealth, exp-mania and many other things. But how much non-deusex do you expect from developers stating they "wear blinders so they don't have to deal with deus-ex fans". What more face-fist can you give a franchise than this <.=.<

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Next time just release a Demo, guys.

Odjin said:
ResonanceGames said:
Odjin said:
That leaked build is a good way to see if one is a true Deus-Ex fan or not because if you like "that" then you can't be a real Deus-Ex fan (or you never played and understood the original). At last it could have been worse (with other words a step forward compared to DX:IW but still way behind DX). Still though a non-buy... and not only because of the steam-forced-down-your-throat crap going on. With a steam-free version we can discuss but with steam-forced... forget it.
As someone who's played Deus Ex at least 5 times since it was released, I'm glad to say that I'll be having a lot of fun with this, while you and your ilk sit around fuming about the changes and bragging about how the rest of us just don't "get it." Very glad indeed.
Guess you have to play it 10+ times then to understand it ;) . Nothing new though. Lots of people around considering DX a shooter or what the hell else not understanding what made this game great and why DX:HR is a lackluster attempt to cash in on the DX franchise. At last not as bad as DX:IW but still riddled with bad design choices left and right. Steam-forced, cover-system, camera-nausea, takedown-idiocy, pseudo-stealth, exp-mania and many other things. But how much non-deusex do you expect from developers stating they "wear blinders so they don't have to deal with deus-ex fans". What more face-fist can you give a franchise than this <.=.<
I'm right about everything! If you don't agree with my you are wrong and not really a fan of anything! This is absolutly not a strawman arguement!

Seriously...? This isn't the Gamespy forums.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
I have a piss poor system and this game still runs great. That's for all the peeps who are worried about not having enough horses to run the game with a decent frame-rate.

*edit* my crud rig specs:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
2048MB RAM

**FYI: still buying it, tis simply wow**

beema

Aug 19, 2009
If anyone is interested, my initial thoughts after playing a bit of it: http://bit.ly/mAGtTW

de5gravity

Apr 18, 2011
I'm going to be honest, I tried the leak (was curious..), and OMG I pre ordered the HR edition about 5 minutes ago. The game is great and gives you that "MORE NOW" feeling.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
after completing it. **jesus that boss was a pain in the ass**. Pre-ordered....truly fantastic

Shio

Jun 4, 2011
TU4AR said:
Shio said:
Fans? People who torrent leaks are not fans.
You're right, people sharing things they love, spreading hype and excitment and causing people to actually pre-order could never call themselves fans.

Oh wait.
Sarcasm - pretty witty stuff.

OT: stealing a product makes you a fan? Cool story. I don't buy it, though.